Home

Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive

This is a discussion on Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #17
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
It's kinda a shame. Despite the overly aggressive pricing and "bad" reviews, they still made more money than last year while being on pace to be the best selling NBA 2K to date. Goes to show that Operation Sports is definitely a minority group of people.

Probably have to spend VC just to play a game in PNO next year.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
The bad reviews were totally scewed by reviewers trying to penalize the entire game because of their views on micro transactions, most of the reviews are the game is great and best 2k to date but i will give it a low score because of this, I am sure 2k is crying all the way to the bank, and lets not think this is some fad this is how games will be going forward you can grind or pay and in this immediate gratification world we live in people will pay. If a company can make an additional 100 plus million on a game after release they are not going to give that up no matter what some reviewer says.

Last edited by coolcras7; 11-08-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Sad man. This 2K is the least my friends and I have played because of how in your face VC is and how limited it makes you feel. The servers are still wack with all the VC money they should figure out that issue. Looks like 2K will be on the way down. I don't know if I agree that there is not a sizeable chunk of playerbase willing to play offline but you can see that it is not prioritized by most sports developers so of course it will be played less.

Look at Madden, they are absolutely terrible with improving franchise, so of course less people will play it compared to their golden child, MUT. I fear 2K will head further down that path. GTAV online was bad with the microtransactions too and RDR2 will probably be the same. I don't have high hopes
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

2K will undoubtedly succeed on paper with microtransactions. If anything they probably could have gone even further, and may do so in 2K19. They just need to be careful about what prerequisites and conditions they're placing on joining the 2K community. Right now it seems haphazard and unplanned. It's typical boom-time thinking. It may not always be boom-time.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #20
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

For as long as the microtransaction train churns thru: it's all a representation of the price for pleasure. The consumer will only object when the price offends their value on pleasure.

Consumers are showing that the ceiling is high in the sky re; the price they are willing to pay for pleasure.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

People acting like the profits reaped from excessive VC milking go directly back into improving the game instead of the pockets of the shareholders...

Oh my sweet summer children...

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
People acting like the profits reaped from excessive VC milking go directly back into improving the game instead of the pockets of the shareholders...

Oh my sweet summer children...

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Well, the game has undeniably improved as the profits (evil VC) and sales have soared. The money is going somewhere. Dzar himself even intimated that the game being as successful as it has might be responsible for some of our favorite devs working there. Happy shareholders and, evidently, happy enough customers to make this year even better than last. Looks like a win for everyone from where I sit. But, nevermind....
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I feel like their financial success with the VC is beneficial to us offline guys at the moment, but I feel that's more a function of the insanely Sim-enthused development team we have behind those modes.

My concern, going forward, is that micro transactions will become so invasive that it'll begin to push the developers of offline modes into crafting some sort of reward or loot system, which will invariably allow users who pay to get/increase their odds of getting these rewards.

This is happening with the new Shadow of War game in its single player mode and I can see loot boxes/rewards making their way to the myleague mode. I'd expect MYGM to get it first, especially with the "narrative" aspect they forced users into this year with the storyline there.

We could be seeing the MYGM mode as the franchise equivalent of Mycareer.

I think the lack of micro transactions in the franchise modes are due to the development team going to bat to keep it out, but that becomes harder when the publisher is pushing it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I hadn't thought about how a change with this particular dev team could change things. You're right, that could be an issue going forward as these guys "get it", to me. They tried putting VC in 2K14 but they pulled back after the uproar. Hopefully they haven't forgotten that.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #24
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Well, the game has undeniably improved as the profits (evil VC) and sales have soared. The money is going somewhere. Dzar himself even intimated that the game being as successful as it has might be responsible for some of our favorite devs working there. Happy shareholders and, evidently, happy enough customers to make this year even better than last. Looks like a win for everyone from where I sit. But, nevermind....
As long as there's a less-than-1-year dev cycle, unless they greatly invest a lot of money in expanding the dev team the quality of at least some modes will suffer. Hell, even throwing money at a bunch of new devs wouldn't do much soon anyway as I can't imagine how long it would take new hires to get their head around the game's code base.

The game could probably do with a new engine at this point as it's just been stuff stuck on top of old legacy stuff year after year, but no point from a business point of view if people are throwing more money at them than ever...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »