Home

Maximum jumping height, and jumping speed need to change

This is a discussion on Maximum jumping height, and jumping speed need to change within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Maximum jumping height, and jumping speed need to change

Kevin Love. Smh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS_Messages_20171230_153745.jpg (295.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg PS_Messages_20171230_154743.jpg (286.8 KB, 172 views)

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

Last edited by alabamarob; 12-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
One of my main complaints in all 2k games is the speed, and height that different players can jump. Yao Ming, and Boban Marjanovic should not be playing above the square, and they should not be able to explode off of the floor like Shawn Marion. Today's NBA is all about quick and athletic players, yet the game doesn't always represent that. Big, slow, and unathletic 7 footers can't even get on the floor in real life. But, in 2k every 7 footer is a rebounder, and rim protector.

Suggestions are:

1. Have three different jumping speeds for players. Fast, Average, and Slow. The unathletic players could have very slow jumping animations when blocking shots or going up for dunks and layups. Whereas, the Westbrook's and Isiah Thomas' could have very fast jumping animations. It would make the shot blocking, and inside play alot more realistic. It would also help with layups around the rim. They already do shot release speeds, why not jumping?

2. Have 4 different maximum jumping heights that players can reach. 10 foot, 10 and a half foot, 11 foot, and 12 foot. The top of a players hand should never reach above their maximum jumping heights. This would really open up the game around the rim, and out on the perimeter.

Would this be hard to implement? How would this not make the game significantly better?

The ability to elevate over another person, or get to the rim quicker then another person is a very key element in basketball that is not currently represented in the game.

I agree 100% with this. Its why in the game, guys who arent great rebounders, but are tall, always grab more rebounds than they should. For instance Miles Turner doesnt grab near as many rebounds as you would think he would, considering he is fairly athletic for being as tall as he is, but in the game he always grabs 10plus rebounds for me each game. I have rectified it some, just do to the 2k roster guy poorly done ratings and tendencies, but players like him still seem to have a advantage in rebounding.

Im sure its probably not easy to fix within the game, but surely they could figure out a way to make poor rebounding bigs, not be great rebounders, and find a way to make good rebounding smaller players grab more on a consistent basis.

I have noticed they tend to give guys badges that should have them, and they tend to overrate certain areas that make the issue worse. Hands and Hustle both seem to play a role in the issue. Typically bigs have worse hands than smaller players, but it if you look, at the averages on both hands and Hustle of bigs compared to other positions, there isnt much difference in them.
Lowering the hands slider as well as hustle way down seems to help some, but by doing that your lowering every player ability. So I think 2 main ratings, that need major rerating is both hands and hustle, to make a bigger gap between bigs and other positions.
Also by lowering hands, tends to help with getting non steal turnovers up some as well, which has also always been a major problem in this game each yr.
Rebounding badges also need ot be given out sparingly to bigs. For instance Miles Turner has the badge for being able to score right after offensive rebound, which also helps him grab more rebounds than he should.

I dont know if this would work, but I thought about rating players rebounding by skill for that position. So take a guy like Mile Turner who they have as a B- right now I think, probably should be more of a C. Then take Lance Stephenson who they have as a B- for rebounding, well for his position it really should probably be a A.
I have no idea how that would work for sim stats, which Im a ML guy only, so I have tested it, to see but it may cause issues with sim stats, which I wouldnt want to mess then up anymore than they already are,lol.

I hope they improve this area, and while better ratings and tendencies probably would help, Im not sure if it would fix it completely.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 12-31-2017, 02:28 AM   #11
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

The problem to me for dunking seems like there is no link between actual vertical and the dunk packages given.

The dunk rating need a to be tied together with vertical so that the dunk could scale down for players who don't have high verticals or certain low vertical players need certain dunks removed from their package.

On defense it is animations. There are probably currently limited to what block animations are captured and fit them to the player. Again I don't think anything is really tied to the actual vertical. This is the reason we had CP3 doing chase down blocks one year lol. So the vertical needs to be handled like dunking and scaled down to actual real max leap or they need to do what you said and give 4 vertical tiers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #12
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
The problem to me for dunking seems like there is no link between actual vertical and the dunk packages given.

The dunk rating need a to be tied together with vertical so that the dunk could scale down for players who don't have high verticals or certain low vertical players need certain dunks removed from their package.

On defense it is animations. There are probably currently limited to what block animations are captured and fit them to the player. Again I don't think anything is really tied to the actual vertical. This is the reason we had CP3 doing chase down blocks one year lol. So the vertical needs to be handled like dunking and scaled down to actual real max leap or they need to do what you said and give 4 vertical tiers
I personally think the rebounding and shot blocking is more negatively affected by the unrealistic jumping then the dunking is. But, i agree with your dunking point as well.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 12-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm struggling to find the perfect example but there was a time when NBA 2K kept guys like Yao Ming planted pretty close to the ground on most plays. They didn't 100 percent nail it but it seemed closer to reality than we see in 2K now with these guys (the jump height, not the overall realistic feel of the game itself).

My initial thought would be to have lower vertical ratings lead to more extreme vertical deficiencies. If a player has a 2 vertical rating, he essentially shouldn't be leaving the floor. If there's a technological blockade preventing that from happening, I get it. But I still think it's a critique worth bringing to the table.

As it stands, it can be a little bizarre using guys like Manute Bol, being able to spring into the air and almost matching verticals with Michael Jordan.

Last edited by VDusen04; 12-31-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Yao Ming has essentially been the poster boy for this issue since 2K6. It's why he's one of the Top 10 2K players of All Time haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Icon7 Re: Maximum jumping height, and jumping speed need to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I personally think the rebounding and shot blocking is more negatively affected by the unrealistic jumping then the dunking is. But, i agree with your dunking point as well.
Yeah I agree with that I was talking more visually it looks crazy and that is the way I think they could fix it.

I always thought shot blocking needed to have special animations to capture the high vertical swats and guys who mainly have good hand eye coordination and can catch shots on the way up.

Rebounding is in need of so much I will just stop and say they need to go back to the drawing board. Part of the problem is the ball must land at certain spots off the rim. Then the ratings say oh x player must get a certain rebound percentage. They added more loose ball animations but still not where it needs to be. Add that on top of verticals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

OVR: 0

Ricky Rubio has a 29 inch vertical. How is this possible? You rarely see this in real life but it's common on 2K.

https://youtu.be/mFvS9OnTG48

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »