Home

NBA 2k League Combine Details Revealed, Teams Will Have 6 Players

This is a discussion on NBA 2k League Combine Details Revealed, Teams Will Have 6 Players within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k League Combine Details Revealed, Teams Will Have 6 Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
This looks great...but it looks like this stuff is only available during certain times, and only eligible to people who got 50 wins.

Damn it. This mode sounds like EXACTLY like what walk on and regular Pro-AM needs to be!!!
"Players who complete January’s NBA 2K League Qualifier will automatically see a new menu item, NBA 2K League Combine, in NBA 2K18 during February"

Here's to hoping it glitches and becomes available to the whole community.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #10
MVP

ph33's Arena

https://twitter.com/2kproaminsider/s...11970995810304

Quote:
Teams.
The combine will match you up with other players who qualified for the combine in January. You will not be able to go into games with pre-set teams or squads.

Just in: All MyPlayers in the @NBA2KLeague combine will be a 90 overall and each archetype will have preset badges.
If you guys thought walk on games were bad...

I wonder if they're going to be recording the voice communication that goes on during games. This actually sounds like a great way to filter out who can behave like an actual adult and who can't during trying times.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I am extremely disappointed to see that there are no finesse or faceup post scorer builds available for this combine.
I think the combine builds relate to what you will be playing with on your team if you are drafted. I get the impression there will be a very tight limitation on what builds are available once you make the cut.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
I think the combine builds relate to what you will be playing with on your team if you are drafted. I get the impression there will be a very tight limitation on what builds are available once you make the cut.
I can understand taking out the pure point forward build, because that archetype at 6'10" is extremely cheesy and unbalanced in the current version of 2K18 that we've been playing. But I haven't come across any other build this year that felt like it was too cheesy to be available in this combine. Maybe you could add 7'3" pure stretch bigs to that list because of their ability to consistently hit deep threes over good shot contests and defend/rebound at a level well above their ratings due to their huge wingspan, but that's about it as far as "banable" archetypes go IMO.

I just don't see why so many archetypes are being excluded from the character select screen. DOTA and League of Legends both have over 100 selectable heroes, so why can't 2K18 be similarly diverse? There are no pure builds listed except for the SG/SF pure sharp and the center rim protector. The only perimeter defender build that is able to have its defensive stopper badge affect point guards is the one with the worst defensive ratings (sharpshooting defender). So if you want to play on a perimeter defender build that actually has good defensive ratings, you are stuck lining up at the SF position as a slashing defender, with a defensive stopper badge that won't be able to affect PGs or Cs. I would have loved to take my pure lockdown defender into this mode and go against some of the best offensive PGs and SGs that 2K18 has to offer, but that's not possible with the current roster of characters that 2K has come up with.

I have made seven different MyPlayers so far in 2K18, and the only one of those archetype combinations that is available to use in this combine is the playmaking slasher (my least favorite character of the ones I've created, of course).

I'm sure I'm not the only person whose preferred archetype mixes aren't available for this event. All year long 2K has been telling people to "perfect their craft" and "hone their skills." But how can you tell people that for 4 months, and then not let them compete on the big stage with a skillset that's at least similar to the one they've been practicing with all along? I am fine playing with slightly lowered ratings and slightly reduced badge levels, but being asked to completely switch archetypes is taking things a step too far IMO.

Imagine if you were a fighting game player and you spent 4 months mastering Balrog's moveset, but when it came time to qualify for a major tournament, Capcom suddenly decided to remove Balrog from the available character pool. Or what if you were a Counter-Strike player whose go-to weapons were the Desert Eagle and the AK-47, but right before a big tournament, VALVE decided to take those two weapons out of the gun store. That's basically the equivalent to what 2K has done by drastically reducing the list of available archetype combinations from 189 to 22. With one blog post, 2K has rendered 89% of this game's archetypes obsolete; and if you haven't been playing on one of the chosen 11% builds, then you're already at a competitive disadvantage before the combine even begins, because in 2K -- as in most videogames -- experience is the best teacher. Playing dozens of games on the same character is how you learn what works and what doesn't work in an online competitive environment. And it's only once you've internalized that knowledge that you can begin to play that character at its maximum efficiency, making only the moves and taking only the shots that you know -- from past experience -- have a high chance of succeeding.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-26-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #13
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

So when someone quits in a combine game he will be replaced by the ai. 2k you know how easy it is to score/block/steal against your ai? Hope you have ways to filter out all the stats accumulated while playing the ai hehe...
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

I just don't see why so many archetypes are being excluded from the character select screen. DOTA and League of Legends both have over 100 selectable heroes, so why can't 2K18 be similarly diverse?

I'm sure I'm not the only person whose preferred archetype mixes aren't available for this event. All year long 2K has been telling people to "perfect their craft" and "hone their skills." But how can you tell people that for 4 months, and then not let them compete on the big stage with a skillset that's at least similar to the one they've been practicing with all along?

2K has drastically reduc[ed] the list of available archetype combinations from 189 to 22. With one blog post, 2K has rendered 89% of this game's archetypes obsolete; and if you haven't been playing on one of the chosen 11% builds, then you're already at a competitive disadvantage before the combine even begins, because in 2K -- as in most videogames -- experience is the best teacher.
Great concerns you pointed out here & as you alluded to it does seem like they used data on the most used builds at each position to come to this decision.

I can definitely understand the pangs and frustration this has caused. It could even be deemed harshly misleading. If the users suffer then the league could also suffer so hopefully things can end well.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
MVP

ph33's Arena

NBA 2k League Combine Details Revealed, Teams Will Have 6 Players

I'm also curious as to what extra data they use to pick people. What if a more off ball archetype is really great at knowing how to space the floor but his teammates suck at finding him? Or if you're a point guard with good vision but you have teammates who are awful at being in the right spots?

And by forcing people to play with randoms, just makes for really awkward ball. For example I played a walk on game with two other friends (3 total) where the center dropped a triple double. Sounds good right? Well....this center was clearly pretty selfish (He started assist hunting once he got his points, then went back to clogging the lane and hogging the ball once he got his 10) and I would say he was DAMN lucky that the rest of us were willing to acquiesce so the game wouldn't be miserable. I just hope people like this don't get in. (And just another detail about this guy. He would rather try to finish it over 4 people instead of kicking it out to 3 different wide open people)

Last edited by ph33; 01-26-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Jumpshots! Will you be able to use custom jumpers?! Most comp guys are using custom jumpers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »