Home

What did you LIKE about 2k18?

This is a discussion on What did you LIKE about 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2018, 03:15 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: What did you LIKE about 2k18?

I like the series of still photos that are taken during the key moments of your game and are displayed between quarters. The photos tend to be really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking, and they've finally given me a reason not to button through the end-of-quarter breaks. *Fist bump* to whomever worked on that part of the game.

I also feel like the player motion during set plays flows a lot smoother in 2K18 than it did in 2K17. You could maybe even argue that the offensive player motion is too smooth in 2K18, at least, in relation to how clunky and slow the defensive movement is when reacting to the offense's motion. The plays that involve flare screens, in particular, run so smoothly now that the defense has a really tough time keeping up with them in 2K18.

Custom t-shirts is a cool feature that just needs to be fine-tuned and expanded. The creation limit per account should be increased from 3 shirts to 10 shirts, so that you can make a shirt for each of your MyPlayers. And the t-shirt store should be searchable by account name, just like it was at the start of the year. Next year, we should also be able to make custom shorts/pants and custom accessories, with a 10-slot limit for each gear type. And all custom gear (shoes, shirts, etc.) should be 100% free with no VC cost. I shouldn't have to pay anything for a design that's my own creation.

Last edited by jyoung; 06-07-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:06 AM   #10
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0

Loved that we got a bunch of new classic teams to play with (Still need the '06 Mavs w/ Howard & Harris).

Also love the all time teams, but the maxed out badges make them play stupidly unrealistic.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:02 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

HOF 12mn Gameplay Online/Oflline both ways are fun to play and replicate good/real basketball.

I like Park,too with good players around you can have so much fun and compete even with lower overall rated players, so again its gameplay shine!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #12
TGG
Rookie

I really liked Myteam
Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
Pro

Vroman's Arena

-Visual representation between heavier and lighter players (body types could still improve though) .
-Post game. Except some cheesy drop steps it feels most balanced and fun it ever been yet in 2k series.
-Set plays play out smoother , players seem not to get stuck as much as before.

There are too many things that got worse gameplay and general experience wise unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Rookie

Jordanmike6's Arena

After 2k11, 12 and 13, and only game with Classic Bulls, i discovered 2k18 on ps4.
Interesting to play with them, i love to take a 3 pt shot with Pippen, in front of the Circle, i prefere the triangle action on next gen.

It was good to see Rodman graab so much rebond, compare to old gen.
Also, one hand dunk are good with Jordan.
The AI field goals decreased for the fadeaway jumpshot, they were unstoppable on oldgen.
It is really more realistic.
CPU rotation are good.

And music were perfect!!!

Last edited by Jordanmike6; 06-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

I was actually very high on this years game. Everything that I disliked was not gameplay related but I really like the direction they are going.

-I liked the neighborhood. Yes it could be optimized a little but better. Less unnecessary animations like the guy going to the back of the store to get the shoes I’m trying on or faster ways to get to my destination would be nice. But as a whole it allowed for experiences I would have never had, had it not been for it. Just being able to have access to that many people whenever I load in makes it interesting. I’m always going through the lobby and looking at people’s builds and their stats (this should be teased out more too. Let us see more detailed stats or give an option to view them as a whole as well as per build). I’ve interacted with people I respect and that I otherwise could not have reached outside of a cold message. It allows for great interactions. It isn’t as frequent as other social spaces like destiny’s tower just because of the nature of the 2k community and how it is sort of loved to be hated, but even small things like having random players join my group’s antics are really fun. We’ve had people join us in running around the 2k circle (in front of pro am building) using the funning jogging/walking animations. We’ve had fights with randoms using the fight emotes. The neighborhood provides a kind of interaction an experience that I want, and as long as it is more convenient in its next iteration I’m all for it

-Movement. Now I know it has it’s weird things like the automatic hand switching and that weird sideways shuffle you get if you aren’t slow walking a certain way, but I expect those things in it’s first year. I’m really happy that I don’t feel like I need to trigger a layup animation to try to get past a defender without being force fielded. I really feel like I can get my defender shifted a step or two out of position and be able to beat him to the rim. And on defense, even though the blow by of certain players are really powerful, I feel like I have enough in my toolbox to be able to reliably play defense. The momentum interactions make sense to me. I hope they stay closer to 2k18’s system than 2k17’s when negotiating that exchange in 2k19.

Shooting. I remember this year being a big step up from last year’s (I think I’m remembering 2k17). I just remember builds that should not be hitting threes consistently hitting and the contest system being weird at times. This year I feel they moved closer to a good balance. There were some players that proved that I needed to guard them from deep when I forced them to do so and I could comfortably attribute that to skill more so than anything else. I like that skillful builds (like shooting players/archetypes) need less daylight than before. Late contests seem to affect it a little less. That’s the kind of experience I want. Before with the shooting and dribbling there was more of a disconnect between what I seen in real life versus the game. In 2k17 you needed to be virtually uncontested to get a good shot up and you had to break ankles to get to the rim. That’s very different from getting your shot up and beating your defender, and I hope 2k19 continues to move in that direction.

Offensive AI. I also remember the offense moving a lot smoother than last year. Seeing them not get hung up during plays or having the ability to make the decisions they can was very nice. I still get excited when I see them flare a normal screen or slip when I overplay. I think it’ll shine very well if they move away from the simplified freelance approach they went with in 2k17 and 2k18. If they implement something closer to 2k16’s system where it’s more about giving depthful (<- yes that’s a word now, I said so) looks and less about simplifying it for people to start using it then it would work really nicely. That being said I don’t know how realistic that is.

Now just to qualify all of that, I should let it be known that I am mostly a walk-on pro am player. This would drastically shift my experience away from some of you, but I really enjoyed of a lot about this year’s installment.

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

On ball steals. Getting rid of the stupid timing things with the steal button. And making it about playing position defense.

I love how fast breaks work this year. One defender can't stop a 2 on 1 break by just standing in the middle/under the basket. Which was a huge problem for breaks in the past

The last thing I loved about this year is that they opened it up a little in the face up and contested shot game. It was something lacking the last 3 years. Once they went super sim for e league. But opening up contested shots use to feel over powering. But now it's perfect in my humble opinion. A number of things have to be in your favor. Not just the perfect release.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »