Home

Was there a supposed to be a skillgap in 2k18?

This is a discussion on Was there a supposed to be a skillgap in 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Was there a supposed to be a skillgap in 2k18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
If they want a skill-gap for myplayer, there is only one solution; get rid of archetypes. Too many players with top records who's only in-game ability is pressing the shoot button for the correct amount of time.

It really is that simple. Unless every player has access to the same attributes and badges, then this game will never have a skill-gap again.

True.

I’d love to see a matchmaking queue like dota2 and the likes, where everyone can choose out of 30 something premade builds.
Max silver badges on each build.
Only cosmetic progress.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 10

quote=Housh123;2049444581]So when we talk skill gap i believe we talk gap between the best players and the worst players. This game has little to no skill gap at all. So the thing that makes this game have no skill gap is that BAD players can rise to the ranks and beat good players because of 2k BS.

Iv seen it too many times this year to say there’s a skill gap. Iv seen stretch 5s. Shoot dead in someone’s face and GREEN. That happens 3 or 4 times in one game and boom, your somehow in a 18 to 18 Park games with BUMS. Or let’s say your running 2s and the other team hacks you non stop the whole shot clock and in a random chain of events they rip you a good 3 to 4 times that game and kick each out for a 3. Before you know it your in a 12 to 3 game to BUMS. Skill needs to be reinjected back into 2k. I remember a 2k10 and 2k11 which had a huge skill gap. You could literally lock dudes up and have scores like 30 to 100 in those games. They didn’t hold everyone’s hand and you actually had to earn your overall all the way through instead of paying to 85. Steph Curry imo ruined 2k. I’d hate to put the blame on him but he changed basketball as a whole and in doing so he changed basketball games. And as of now it’s been for the worst

In any other game ever the best players utterly kill the worst. Go to For Honor, NHL, Mortal Kombat or a game like Rainbow Six Siege. A team of bums will never beat a full team of 6 elite players in Siege. A bum in MKX will NEVER beat an elite player in a game of 3 rounds. It just won’t happen.
2k isn’t like that

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports[/quote]

The best players beat the worst in 2k. However, from good to great there isn't much of a gap, same with decent to good.

I've taken more Ls than probably anyone here on 2k. Def anyone who considers themselves above average. I've played plenty of games with all randoms, played with full fives. Played park same. I am worse at park because park is a joke this yr. It's not even fun.

That being said, ive seen people go off for 40 then next game we play a different team and they end up quitting because they got shut down. I don't think defense is that bad in 2k, my problem is more... Like I have a 75 two way post and I got matched up against a defensive big, all he has to do is bunny hop or mash steal and I am owned. When really he should have to stop me. Same with sharps. Sharps are the least skill based build, you hold a button. And 2k somehow thinks shooting is more skill based than scoring inside so they make the game about 3s. It seems like you gotta work to score inside. Unless you just get a hyper dunk animation.

It's too archetype based. It's like chess + cheese. Chess because pieces do what they do and cheese cuz you have to use each player in an unrealistic way to play at a high level, because if you don't you are under performing, like 30 footers w sharps or step backs or mashing jump and steal w defenders.

But the skill gap is getting these guys in the right spots and triggering the right animation or holding a button the right amount of time.

-Smak
Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixEverything2k
When 2k19 speaks of skillgap what is that really?

If its shooting it can be patched out.
If its dribbling it can be patched out.
If its defense it can be patched out.

To the people that enjoy this game offline PLAYER VS PLAYER what are your sliders?

If you play HOF VS CPU: The AI simply isnt smart enough to cheese, so you can try to play realistic and have fun.

But PvP is disgusting.

2k18 takes the LEAST amount of skill to be able to win. I could probably throw my lil brother on the sticks with you and he'd win 4 out of 10 matches. Regardless of what difficulty its on all you have to do is the blow by cheese and dunk/ throw it to the corner and drain a 3.

Unless you purposely TRY to play as realistic as possible its literally just blow by and do what I explained.

The top 2k player can lose to someone who barely plays if they know step back cheese pick and roll cheese and blow by cheese.

Online Player Vs Player in any mode is who has the best animations and can run 5 out the best. What skill gap can exist that wont be patched?
Proof is here from the 2k league itself. ole boy dropped the kobe numbers on em. doing the same 5 out offense, doing the same blow by cheese. I aint mad at him. they are playing for real money. do what you gotta do to get that bread. But 2k should be all kinds of embarrassed by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCaZ3lM294

supposedly its been corrected in 19. we'll see. and when they say corrected i dont want all blow bys to be completely nurfed. thats not corrected. thats patched out vs actually fixed. dont patch the leak, fix the leak, or change the faucet.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

My pro am record is roughly 900 Ws -200 200 s.

Skill gap exists in terms of playing as a team . That’s how we win and how it should be .

But there really isn’t a skill gap in the 1 on 1 portion of pro am. The blow by and step back animations are the easiest and most abused moves ever. Also Mike Wang admitted that owing defense was trash . Making layups harder was a bandaid fix that lowered the skill gap.

Also after playing the qualifying league with no HOF badges , I’m convinced that HOF badges lower the skill gap. The game played so much better and needs to be its own mode.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88

Skill gap exists in terms of playing as a team . That’s how we win and how it should be .

But there really isn’t a skill gap in the 1 on 1 portion of pro am. The blow by and step back animations are the easiest and most abused moves ever. Also Mike Wang admitted that owing defense was trash . Making layups harder was a bandaid fix that lowered the skill gap.

Also after playing the qualifying league with no HOF badges , I’m convinced that HOF badges lower the skill gap. The game played so much better and needs to be its own mode.
hall of fame badges are more or less OP cheese badges. especially on certain archetypes.

Let me explain the defender archetypes. If you get a defender and badge him up. to get the most steals, blocks, and to force the offense into weird animations. all you have to do is stand there. Dont jump, dont reach. just stand in the passing lanes, or just stand next to people. you will get auto steals and autoblocks or cause the offensive players to go into weird animations. there is nothing skill based about something being automatic without you having to actually do something to cause it.
just standing in the vicinity should not do that for you. 2k completely messed up defense once they took away the ability to steal the ball by way of reaching. instead of fixing the amt of fouls that needs to be called to slow down the spam reaching. they instead made stealing the ball 80% cpu based even when you're playing with the guy. i'm not talking bump steals.

So now the computer is controlling your chances of stealing the ball or even poking it loose from your opponent. that aint me playing d, thats the CPU.

but people swear they are balling out. no you're not. thats the cpu doing that for you.

but a lot of these issues have to do with bad ball physics and how 2k is afraid to make the ball completely live. Wang has said it recently, if the ball was 100% live, it would be chaotic during games. I can see his point of view. but where there would be initial chaos everyone would get use to it and get better at it.
but because the ball physics sucks. You have to nerf things or force things that are unrealistic. like giving the ball back to the offensive team after the defensive team pokes the ball lose, blocks the shot, or isnt allowed to get the rebound. They dont know how to allow the ball to be complete FREE for anyone to get. they have to program it so that someone is going to get it. so they choose the offense and not the defense. they shouldnt not choose either. it should be based on physics, angles, trajectory of the ball when it was blocked or tipped, speed of the ball, hands of the guy trying to grab it, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Was there a supposed to be a skillgap in 2k18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88

I manually redid badges in my MyGm and only gave like 3 players even one HOF and only about 20 even had a gold badge and the game played AMAZING

badges are ruining the game BIG TIME

I can see if i still have the roster saved and I’ll put it on Xbox share

Basically if you could do something well i have you bronze. really well i gave you silver. If you did something at an elite level and have done it for multiple years i gave you gold. HOF was only for guys who did something at an all time level such as Curry’s and his shooting badges. KD had a lot of gold badges but no HOF. Bron had HOF one man fast break and relentless finisher.

Mid tier stars had mostly only silver and bronze like Derozen had gold mid range deadeye and that’s it. Rest were silver and bronze. Love had silver badges across the board and gold break starter

I put a lot of work into it and it showed in the gameplay.

The biggest culprits were rebounding and defensive badges. If those aren’t balanced correctly the game is horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Housh123; 08-02-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 10

badges will stay. haha. Just like greens will stay. As I said before, greens and posters, probably blocks-steals/all of those outcomes you get are little reward responses to reward you for the grind. The grind of getting up to hof level is doing the same thing in games/practice like a thousand times.

People probably think I'm crazy, but I really feel (as I've also said before) that's why the random community is so toxic and entitled. They are toxic because they've spent money + hours, and once you get them in the game, they are like rabid animals ready to unleash their badges/get greens/posters, there is very little you have to do that they don't like that leads to them calling timeout if you get the ball or standing in the paint to get 3 seconds. 2k needs a report feature, haha, then they can look back at the input logs of the game and they'll know who was messing up the game.

Seriously, I've never seen a game where it goes so sour so fast when there is any form of adversity, and it probably comes from people playing the majority of their time grinding on pro or doing drills. Then they get in game, already having learned the habits to force the same thing over and over, and... either aren't successful or don't get the ball enough to do their thing. So they enter meltdown mode.

I played a bit of L*ve before I got 2k on sale. I don't recall anyone ever losing on purpose like they do in 2k.

It is essential to 2k not that there is a skillgap, but that each player feels that they are skilled.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »