Home

NBA 2K19 Art Feedback

This is a discussion on NBA 2K19 Art Feedback within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #81
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NBA 2K19 Art Feedback

I’m starting to really question 2K’s art team. Are they really hardcore NBA fans like we are? Are the undermanned in their department? What’s their excuse for lack of attention to detail for years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #82
Rookie

Sitew33's Arena

OVR: 0

I'll add my 2 cents to this. In 2K18 every player model was based off of the original next gen files from 2K14 so 2K doesn't start from scratch every year. They may add facial and some body scans but the base is still from 1-1-2014 at 3:00 PM to be exact so the whole 2K starts from scratch and modders edit what they started from scratch is not a valid argument at this point. It was valid in 2014 but not now especially when the experienced modders say that 2K18 was the more difficult to mod than previous versions. Now I do agree that there are some things that might be limited on console but there are far too many art related things that should have been addressed by 2K. I got 2K18 on PC in Nov and after watching some awesome tutorial videos and yet still being a novice I could change players hairstyle by Dec. Modders have to use 5-10 different programs to make changes to the game yet yet they manage to make changes almost immediately and 2K can't. I'm sorry but 2K could hire someone to make a lot of these art changes and not interfere with their gameplay, new improvements, etc. Art changes do not affect gameplay at all. Forgive me for thinking that it's strange that I (with very little CPU or modding experience) can at this point change any hair, body and a lot of uniforms issues at my whim yet 2K can't. There are some outstanding modders out here who i believe should be brought on just for art improvements. But like I said... Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #83
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Putting the following discussion about player model in the appropriate thread here. 2k has an issue especially with big man proportions. Anthony Davis is probably the biggest indicator of the leg length being too short. He is the one player I look at to determine if anything has been finally corrected, and it unfortunately appears that limb length will still be problematic.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ba-2k19-9.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
Also, in terms of AD's proportions/dimensions, they are pretty close to real life. I did a comparison with some colored lines. If you account for the fact that AD is slumping a little in the MT screenshot, you can see the distances are almost identical. The issue is jersey and shorts size. His body looks so much smaller swimming in that baggy uniform
Spoiler

If they change the uniform size to be more modern, I think a lot of the issues we have with body proportions would be fixed, or at the very least, less obvious during gameplay
Knee cap and shin area is not proportionally correct. Changing uniform size will not adjust limb length that is visually exposed. NBA 2k Anthony Davis doesn't have enough shin length. It's missing a rough estimate of 5 inches give or take, or whatever. Knee cap to the top of the white sock should be almost equal to the length of the sock to ankle.

But in 2k Davis, it's not equal. Knee cap to top of white sock is missing length.

Spoiler tag contains shin length estimated visual "measurement". Also notice the length of his forearm compared to his lower leg shin length. It's a comparative photograph versus 2k with shin length markings show a clearer picture of what's missing with 2k Davis.
Spoiler

One of these Davis' don't belong. Two of these Davis' lower leg length actually fits a big man, and looks 6'11" or close to 7 feet.

*(For reference, I simply copied and pasted your green line onto my "extended" limb length Davis. So I'm not actually drawing a new line; it's the same line length)* It's a bad microsoft windows paint job, but it's a rough estimate to show why 2k Davis is still proportionally incorrect.

Side remark: The following probably should go into a separate animation thread, but there isn't one, and I don't want to create one just yet, because I haven't had time to capture enough visual footage, but there are plenty of other animations problems in the game.
Spoiler
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-16-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #84
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Putting the following discussion about player model in the appropriate thread here. 2k has an issue especially with big man proportions. Anthony Davis is probably the biggest indicator of the leg length being too short. He is the one player I look at to determine if anything has been finally corrected, and it unfortunately appears that limb length will still be problematic.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ba-2k19-9.html

Knee cap and shin area is not proportionally correct. Changing uniform size will not adjust limb length that is visually exposed. NBA 2k Anthony Davis doesn't have enough shin length. It's missing a rough estimate of 5 inches give or take, or whatever. Knee cap to the top of the white sock should be almost equal to the length of the sock to ankle.

But in 2k Davis, it's not equal. Knee cap to top of white sock is missing length.

Spoiler tag contains shin length estimated visual "measurement". Also notice the length of his forearm compared to his lower leg shin length. It's a comparative photograph versus 2k with shin length markings show a clearer picture of what's missing with 2k Davis.
Spoiler

One of these Davis' don't belong. Two of these Davis' lower leg length actually fits a big man, and looks 6'11" or close to 7 feet.

*(For reference, I simply copied and pasted your green line onto my "extended" limb length Davis. So I'm not actually drawing a new line; it's the same line length)* It's a bad microsoft windows paint job, but it's a rough estimate to show why 2k Davis is still proportionally incorrect.

Side remark: The following probably should go into a separate animation thread, but there isn't one, and I don't want to create one just yet, because I haven't had time to capture enough visual footage, but there are plenty of other animations problems in the game.
Spoiler
Great job on this, the one you edited makes AD look 100x better.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #85
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitew33
I'll add my 2 cents to this. In 2K18 every player model was based off of the original next gen files from 2K14 so 2K doesn't start from scratch every year. They may add facial and some body scans but the base is still from 1-1-2014 at 3:00 PM to be exact so the whole 2K starts from scratch and modders edit what they started from scratch is not a valid argument at this point. It was valid in 2014 but not now especially when the experienced modders say that 2K18 was the more difficult to mod than previous versions. Now I do agree that there are some things that might be limited on console but there are far too many art related things that should have been addressed by 2K. I got 2K18 on PC in Nov and after watching some awesome tutorial videos and yet still being a novice I could change players hairstyle by Dec. Modders have to use 5-10 different programs to make changes to the game yet yet they manage to make changes almost immediately and 2K can't. I'm sorry but 2K could hire someone to make a lot of these art changes and not interfere with their gameplay, new improvements, etc. Art changes do not affect gameplay at all. Forgive me for thinking that it's strange that I (with very little CPU or modding experience) can at this point change any hair, body and a lot of uniforms issues at my whim yet 2K can't. There are some outstanding modders out here who i believe should be brought on just for art improvements. But like I said... Just my 2 cents.
That's false. Look at LeBron or Steph; are you telling me they're the same since 2014? Come on man you can't believe what you just wrote. Some players might be the same since 14, 15, 16 or 17 because they have declined to get an updated scan.

If getting a scan is the best way to get an accurate representation, why should they waste time on players who don't want to get re-scanned?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-16-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #86
MVP

If any of you guys play park, what clothing/accessories would you like to see? For me, I'd like to see a better selection of t-shirt designs, like instead of having all of these basic Nike shirts, give us more unique designs to choose from: https://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...te/multicolor/

For accessories, I think backpacks could maybe be a cool idea.

Last edited by CaVsFaN2273; 08-16-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #87
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
That's false. Look at LeBron or Steph are you telling me they're the same since 2014? Come on man you can't believe what you just wrote. Some players might be the same since 14 because they have declined to get an updated scan.

If getting a scan is the best way to get an accurate representation why should they waste time on players who don't want to get re-scanned?

You're right, but they HAVE to do better with the players they aren't able to get scanned or aren't available to get a new scan. Too many players are untouched each year. I mean I hate to bring up mods again, but c'mon man these are supposed to be professional artists. It's just so frustrating...
Credit to Mr. Star 2K for all of these

Current player examples
Spoiler

Classic player examples
Spoiler

Last edited by CaVsFaN2273; 08-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #88
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaVsFaN2273
You're right, but they HAVE to do better with the players they aren't able to get scanned or aren't available to get a new scan. Too many players are untouched each year. I mean I hate to bring up mods again, but c'mon man these are supposed to be professional artists. It's just so frustrating...
Credit to Mr. Star 2K for all of these

Current player examples
Spoiler

Classic player examples
Spoiler
I'm pretty sure they have at least a handful of artists, what they do for a whole cycle i don't know. It's possible they could be working on them now for a future update like we got last year for a few players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »