Home

Block Timing still needs lot of work

This is a discussion on Block Timing still needs lot of work within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Block Timing still needs LOTS of work

While some of the TomFoolery has been cleaned up from previous years, we still see too much blocks outside of the proper timing window....and sadly defenders coming down on offensive players. Probably the biggest issue is too many neutral outcomes where bad timing has no downside and guys are free to pogo-stick at will until they finally get it right.

And we definitely can't leave out the dreaded second jump after a mistimed block:

What makes it so egregious is that hands up is an option and WORKS, no one forces a user to go for a shot-block. Even moreso, fooling the other user is at the core of pure H2H gameplay and is often the biggest reward, when gameplay doesn't reward a user for out-thinking the opponent its as big a letdown as you'll see in gaming--Imagine picking scissors, the other user picking paper and gameplay deciding its time for a do-over.

Better gameplay would have a missed block result in a foul or momentum taking the defender out of position like we see below from Horford and Adams.

Last edited by Kushmir; 10-12-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Block Timing still needs lot of work

Body block/Body steals are a legacy issue, they have been in the series for a long time.

Players are taught at a young age to hold on tight to the ball, it's literally one of the first things you learn in camp. But, in 2K, the ball is jarred all the time by an opposing player/body barely touching the ball.

Body steals happen far to much no matter what you do with the sliders, so it's a little frustrating. Surprised it has gone on for this long... Hopefully it will be addressed someday.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

There’s parts of 2K19 that remind me of the 2K11 to 2K12 transition. Blocks is one of them.

Block timing is a little weird in 2K19 but so are a lot of the blocks themselves. I’ll post some examples when I’m home from work but I’ve been noticing one of the best blocking strategies is to jump early toward the defender and hope you deflect the ball on the way down. It feels unnatural and much less fluid than even 2K18’s system.

Moreover, a lot of the block animations look and feel weird this year. I’m noticing a lot more odd blocking interactions, where the defender isn’t really trying to deflect the ball and the result is a block that just sort of lifeless ky falls through a couple of arms toward the ground. Reminds me of 2K12’s elbow and shoulder block problem.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
Body block/Body steals are a legacy issue, they have been in the series for a long time.

Players are taught at a young age to hold on tight to the ball, it's literally one of the first things you learn in camp. But, in 2K, the ball is jarred all the time by an opposing player/body barely touching the ball.

Body steals happen far to much no matter what you do with the sliders, so it's a little frustrating. Surprised it has gone on for this long... Hopefully it will be addressed someday.
Mike Wang came on twitter and said that was an issue they worked really hard on coming into 2k19 and its pretty much the same as its been. Get people in the air, and either they can jump again to contest before you can even go up, or they jump into you and cause a "steal"
Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Block timing is a little weird in 2K19 but so are a lot of the blocks themselves. I’ll post some examples when I’m home from work but I’ve been noticing one of the best blocking strategies is to jump early toward the defender and hope you deflect the ball on the way down. It feels unnatural and much less fluid than even 2K18’s system.
I've noticed this as well. Obviously neutral outcomes rear its ugly head again here but jumping early should NEVER, I repeat NEVER yield success regarding blocks. This should result in an almost automatic foul. A proper block window (which is smaller based on rating) attacks the ball after its released.

This block timing defies description:

Here's how bad the timing is, Notice where Ibaka (at his jump's apex) while Saric has yet to shoot the ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibaka block.jpg (142.9 KB, 186 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Here's another:

Another instance where the defender has tried to block a shot before the attempt--an easier foul call you'll never see. Try this offline vs the CPU and see what happens. That this happened when I was down 1 with less than a minute to go adds insult to injury--if timing matters when we shoot, rebound and pass--it has to matter here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morris block.jpg (144.1 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Kushmir; 10-11-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Rookie

Yeah the problem is that there is the foul animation but it only happens on the way down after a pump fake or just not often enough.

Also some of those guys are bailed out by their Rim Protector badges(Noel, Ibaka, Draymond, Boogie).

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill
Old 10-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Pro

61 resonates with me. Pogo sticking still counts as a contest a lot of the time. I’ve resorted to doing it again this year because it’s STILL effective. It’s been 2 games in a row now where just spamming jump in the paint is a viable strategy. Hands up actually is effective this year so I don’t do it in one on one defense but I do if we allow an offensive board or if I’m jumping to block someone else’s man and they don’t go up. I just keep hitting jump after I miss the first and most of the time I cause a miss or get a block. It’s even worse this year because guys can’t hit layups when they’re open let alone with 2 guys bouncing around in the paint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »