Home

Defensive Settings discussion

This is a discussion on Defensive Settings discussion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #33
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatIsraeliGuy
Oh no that’s not how it works, you’d think that but if you set Drummond to Help&No Rotation it means the player that guards him, say DeAndre Jordan, will leave him to help on anyone else. Try it in game and it’ll make sense to you, it didn’t to me at first.
Hah .... I used to set it in my defense strategy. I thot it worked for a while. When I faced off the celtics I just didnt get it why the cpu had so many open 3s. It was when I watched it on replay and broke it down to see what went wrong. I didnt realise it at first bcos most of the time I set catch hedge for all guards. The problem became apparent when I set soft hedge. As u know, playing cpu kyrie in the playoffs u can never set catch hedge. With soft hedge, the big man leaves his defender to help on the hedge.

Quote:
True, I didn’t play on the new patch before this post (which in hindsight wasnt Smart but 2k didn’t mention any changes to the defense), go under doesn’t work at all, it’s completely random.

Not really following you on that, maybe it’s me but can you explain?
For instance, "let him shoot" can be a shortcut to set gap for off ball and on ball. "Make him work" can be another command to play deny/tight for off ball and on ball.
I'm really not 100% sure on this as I didnt validate it in the gameplay.

Just to add on, on defending the pnr plays I will suggest to play more off ball and bring in yor own help defender. Try not to commit 100% on help. LT is yor best frd. I'm also a fan of the chuck animation but be careful with it. U may get called on offensive fouls if not used properly.

And if at anytime u feel yor AI defenders arent following yor defensive settings, turn off the Ace. If u do that, u have to manually set yor freelance as AI does not default it to yor team playbook.

Hope these tips can help the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #34
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Defensive Settings discussion

Quote:
Oh no that’s not how it works, you’d think that but if you set Drummond to Help&No Rotation it means the player that guards him, say DeAndre Jordan, will leave him to help on anyone else. Try it in game and it’ll make sense to you, it didn’t to me at first.

True, I didn’t play on the new patch before this post (which in hindsight wasnt Smart but 2k didn’t mention any changes to the defense), go under doesn’t work at all, it’s completely random.

Not really following you on that, maybe it’s me but can you explain?

[/quote]

I have yet to get the help no rotation to work properly. Are you sure that assigning help and no rotation to Drummond doesnt only apply to Drummond as the onr ballhandler? I have never seen the game allow me to choose who to help off of.

I would need to see a video showing that in action. Example, everyone on no help except drummond and see the help only come from that person. I am not sure it works that way.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I have never seen the game allow me to choose who to help off of.

Lol u can, Rob, to a certain extent. Set 'leave him' and 'gap off ball' on Stanley Johnson, and 'soft hedge' on Reggie Jackson. u'll see immediate help when the cpu runs the pnr action with Reggie and Drummond.

I didnt really like having such setting in my gameplay bcos Stanley will literally be ignored in every action. Like, if there's another off ball screen that have a slight window of opportunity for the cpu getting open for catch and shoot, the AI help defense will trigger. My reaction time aint that quick to cover Stanley especially when he's near to the paint area.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #36
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Lol u can, Rob, to a certain extent. Set 'leave him' and 'gap off ball' on Stanley Johnson, and 'soft hedge' on Reggie Jackson. u'll see immediate help when the cpu runs the pnr action with Reggie and Drummond.

I didnt really like having such setting in my gameplay bcos Stanley will literally be ignored in every action. Like, if there's another off ball screen that have a slight window of opportunity for the cpu getting open for catch and shoot, the AI help defense will trigger. My reaction time aint that quick to cover Stanley especially when he's near to the paint area.

But he is saying something diff. He is saying that if i put 4 players on no help, and 1 on help no rotation. The help will come from off the same player everytime. That has not been my experience with how the def settings work. If they do that would be great, i just need to see it work that way.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #37
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Really strange that none of the quick defensive settings (as far as I can tell) play the drop defense where your guard goes over and the center doesn't hedge.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #38
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Really strange that none of the quick defensive settings (as far as I can tell) play the drop defense where your guard goes over and the center doesn't hedge.
Yeah the Sixers defend like this and I prefer it. If the on-ball guy dies on the screen he chases and the center stays in "No Mans Land" so he stops the drive and doesn't let the roller get behind him until the on-ball guy gets back into the play.

We absolutely need a NO SWITCHING setting next year--the AI simply can't handle switches/switches unnecessarily and communicates the switch horribly. Check out the clip below:

1st clip: No need for Ben to switch but Shocker: He does anyway The mid-range shot is open vs this defense. The defensive diagram has the audacity to show both guys as my assignment.

2nd clip: Just LOL. I'm in Catch Hedge so I stay between Smart and the basket on the initial screen-roll and Ben does what he's supposed to. They run it again and while Ben CAN and SHOULD stay with Kyrie he switches and then decides at the last second..."wait...nope, i'll stay." like, really?

3rd Clip: No Switches = No Problems

This really needs to get shored up. We can't have the AI still unable to deal with basketball's most popular play.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-20-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
The last two settings before Extend Pressure must be set to “Help and No Rotation”, it helps a little.

But you gotta realize that you won’t be able to stop everyone, Giannis is a beast irl and tough to contain, you could set double team perimeter to “on drive”, that could help too.

I always set my gameplan in MyLEAGUE before a match, it goes like this:

Tight On Ball (Smother on star players is great if you let the CPU defend the on ball player), obviously change it depending on player so Gap or Moderate can be applied.

Tight Off Ball (NEVER DENY BALL, CPU defenders let the players blow right past them it’s laughable), Gap and Moderate can be used, Moderate is nice if it’s not a knockdown shooter but someone who can make it occasionally, I personally don’t like “Leave Him” because it moves the defender to the other side of the court.

Auto Force Direction (never tried anything specific)

Go Over/Switch On Ball Screen (Always let the CPU do the on ball screen or you will go under whether you want to or not, controlling the screen setter is better, use switch if your team is built for that, and if you do, do not control any of the two defenders on the screen)

Go Over/Ice On Ball Screen Center (Same as above only I don’t switch on Centers for obvious reasons, again control the center in this situation)

Auto Stay Attached (I change it for each player individually)

Go Over/Switch Off Ball (again, depends on team)

3/4 Top Post (this is how you’re supposed to defend the post, barricading the player from the basket)

AUTO Double Team Post and Perimeter, the game usually has a good judgement of when to help so don’t leave it at “No”.

If a player is killing you in the post I prefer “Dig” than on catch or on dribble but that’s not a must. Double Team on Drive is pretty good too for a LeBron kind of player.

Switch Rules: I always set this to Switch Guards but it also applies to SF-SG/PG screens. I recommend you always do this otherwise switching doesn’t seem to work.

No Pre Rotate, I don’t like it at all because I can’t set which player should help, plus double team is just better.

Drive Help Rules and Screen Help Rules or whatever it’s called: HELP AND NO ROTATION, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

This is basically a fix to ensure CPU wing defenders don’t leave their men open and for some reason, it’s not default (probably because 2k don’t have QA to tell them that). This literally just makes the defense better.

No Extend Pressure (Only if I play with a pesty defender like GP, Patrick Beverly etc)

Now, there used to be another setting called “Tag On Roll”, which means that if you set it to yes, you will see a CPU defender jump the Rolling Big (or guard if you set it for a guard) to stop a wide open basket, this was good for the likes of Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan and any other big men with no jump shot who will always roll to the basket and can oop it down.

This is now gone from the gameplan but is still there if you go to simulate with simcast and then move to the defensive settings tab.

Haven’t tested if changing it there does anything but this is such a 2k thing.

Hopefully this was of use for someone, if anything I wrote is to be corrected I’ll be happy to learn better settings.

Saved thx

PSN: FreeTekashi69ine
Old 12-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #40
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
But he is saying something diff. He is saying that if i put 4 players on no help, and 1 on help no rotation. The help will come from off the same player everytime. That has not been my experience with how the def settings work. If they do that would be great, i just need to see it work that way.
oh no, i meant that you need both "Help & No Rotation" AND "Gap" or "Leave Him", otherwise it will take an eternity to arrive and the closest player will help or no one will at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »