Home

Defensive Settings discussion

This is a discussion on Defensive Settings discussion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Defensive Settings discussion

I'd be curious to have a discussion on how people use the defensive settings. Not just in general, but against individual players.

For instance: I just played an NBA Today game with my Nuggets against the Bucks. And nothing I would do would stop Giannis. I tried a Hard Hedge and he still drove easily inside. I tried a double team on dribble, and still he dropped 35 points on me in an 8 min quarter game.

So I wonder what else could I do?

Also: what settings do people use for 3pt shooters? And slashers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive Settings discussion

I usually try rotating zone/man/trap if someone is going off, it doesn’t really work though tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Rookie

I like the topic. I have been struggling myself with points in the paint.

normally I do a main defensive settings before the game, and then I adjust by timeouts. before the game I set all my hedges, off ball screens and miscellaneous. I don't do any on/ off ball stuff till he gives me a reason to. Lastly I turn off ace and help settings all the way......
Old 11-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas80
I like the topic. I have been struggling myself with points in the paint.

normally I do a main defensive settings before the game, and then I adjust by timeouts. before the game I set all my hedges, off ball screens and miscellaneous. I don't do any on/ off ball stuff till he gives me a reason to. Lastly I turn off ace and help settings all the way......
Points in the paint have been a problem for me also, but I think that has a lot to do with the CPU relentlessly trying to drive instead of taking shots unless they are absolutely wide open. That's a real problem I'm noticing and I'm not sure how to fix that in the sliders.

I used to do a generic main settings before the game also, based off Sam Pham's video, but I'm not convinced those are always a good idea.

I've been trying a soft hedge for 3pt and midrange shooters with an "over the screen", but that never seems to work as going over the screen you get "caught" in the screening animation. But if you go under, they just stop and pop on you because they are wide open.

I also tried using the "Focus on player" option in the timeouts menu (on Giannis) and set that to "Nothing Inside". Not sure what that did, because it really didn't seem to do anything.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

The patch killed ball tangibility with the cpu. So they can dribble the ball into crowds and thru defenders. Playing defense vs the cpu is like playing bumper cars. Then they get an overpowered shot animation that negates any contest. Its extremely frustrating. It severly weakens the utility of the defensive settings.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
The patch killed ball tangibility with the cpu. So they can dribble the ball into crowds and thru defenders. Playing defense vs the cpu is like playing bumper cars. Then they get an overpowered shot animation that negates any contest. Its extremely frustrating. It severly weakens the utility of the defensive settings.
Agreed. I feel like they did the exact same thing last year. I dont really get the idea behind it..
Old 11-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Points in the paint have been a problem for me also, but I think that has a lot to do with the CPU relentlessly trying to drive instead of taking shots unless they are absolutely wide open. That's a real problem I'm noticing and I'm not sure how to fix that in the sliders.

I used to do a generic main settings before the game also, based off Sam Pham's video, but I'm not convinced those are always a good idea.

I've been trying a soft hedge for 3pt and midrange shooters with an "over the screen", but that never seems to work as going over the screen you get "caught" in the screening animation. But if you go under, they just stop and pop on you because they are wide open.

I also tried using the "Focus on player" option in the timeouts menu (on Giannis) and set that to "Nothing Inside". Not sure what that did, because it really didn't seem to do anything.
It's like alabamarob is saying. There's something up with the cpu ball tangibility. They can just force the ball in a crowd and they'll never loose it. Of course you try that and they'll get a bump steal on you majority of the time smh. I find I have to be playing really good on ball and even then, they can still cheese you inside cuz once they get up under the rim, its almost guaranteed to go in. They'll get the best animations to where if you jump it'll be a sure foul and if you don't(and just play hands up), it's a sure basket.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #8
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

The last two settings before Extend Pressure must be set to “Help and No Rotation”, it helps a little.
But you gotta realize that you won’t be able to stop everyone, Giannis is a beast irl and tough to contain, you could set double team perimeter to “on drive”, that could help too.

I always set my gameplan in MyLEAGUE before a match, it goes like this:
Tight On Ball (Smother on star players is great if you let the CPU defend the on ball player), obviously change it depending on player so Gap or Moderate can be applied.
Tight Off Ball (NEVER DENY BALL, CPU defenders let the players blow right past them it’s laughable), Gap and Moderate can be used, Moderate is nice if it’s not a knockdown shooter but someone who can make it occasionally, I personally don’t like “Leave Him” because it moves the defender to the other side of the court.
Auto Force Direction (never tried anything specific)
Go Over/Switch On Ball Screen (Always let the CPU do the on ball screen or you will go under whether you want to or not, controlling the screen setter is better, use switch if your team is built for that, and if you do, do not control any of the two defenders on the screen)
Go Over/Ice On Ball Screen Center (Same as above only I don’t switch on Centers for obvious reasons, again control the center in this situation)
Auto Stay Attached (I change it for each player individually)
Go Over/Switch Off Ball (again, depends on team)
3/4 Top Post (this is how you’re supposed to defend the post, barricading the player from the basket)

AUTO Double Team Post and Perimeter, the game usually has a good judgement of when to help so don’t leave it at “No”.
If a player is killing you in the post I prefer “Dig” than on catch or on dribble but that’s not a must. Double Team on Drive is pretty good too for a LeBron kind of player.
Switch Rules: I always set this to Switch Guards but it also applies to SF-SG/PG screens. I recommend you always do this otherwise switching doesn’t seem to work.

No Pre Rotate, I don’t like it at all because I can’t set which player should help, plus double team is just better.
Drive Help Rules and Screen Help Rules or whatever it’s called: HELP AND NO ROTATION, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
This is basically a fix to ensure CPU wing defenders don’t leave their men open and for some reason, it’s not default (probably because 2k don’t have QA to tell them that). This literally just makes the defense better.

No Extend Pressure (Only if I play with a pesty defender like GP, Patrick Beverly etc)

Now, there used to be another setting called “Tag On Roll”, which means that if you set it to yes, you will see a CPU defender jump the Rolling Big (or guard if you set it for a guard) to stop a wide open basket, this was good for the likes of Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan and any other big men with no jump shot who will always roll to the basket and can oop it down.
This is now gone from the gameplan but is still there if you go to simulate with simcast and then move to the defensive settings tab.
Haven’t tested if changing it there does anything but this is such a 2k thing.

Hopefully this was of use for someone, if anything I wrote is to be corrected I’ll be happy to learn better settings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »