Home

Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

I set myself a deadline of a month before I started my Myleague.

Within this month, I learned the flow and new controls, learned some plays, freelances and series, and edited my roster.

The game gives us so many customisation options, we can get stuck in it.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

Despite all the rating changes I make, I rarely play anymore. The gameplay just doesn't do it for me and I'm into other things.

I basically use the roster edit feature to stay current with the NBA and that's it.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 11-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 3

Back when I just played with the current teams , I started playing a lot earlier. I'd get my rosters right and go. Then they added classic teams and I started to look at tendencies. Then I started coming here & looking at threads about broken plays. Now, I get rosters right, adjust tendencies, adjust signature moves, & adjust playbooks. I'm planning to start playing my season by the end of November. I think. I'm actually ahead this year. Not tweaking as much I guess.

I do the same thing with Madden. I work on a custom playbook for close to a month. All these games are better than anything I played years ago but they also are unfinished. Once I'm done tweaking, I enjoy the game. The best thing I did last gen was make all my tweaks and then played the game two years in a row. That was actually fun. Sad thing is, I don't play much anymore. Maybe 2 games a week. Takes until summer to finish a season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
Rookie

Makeufamous NDZ's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceThePace
I’ve always been a guy who gets annoyed when rosters weren’t accurate and had to edit them before playing, but I could always jump in and play after I fixed them. However, over the past few years, I can’t even get myself to jump into the game at all. I’ve probably played less than 10 full games of 2K since 2K16.

This isn’t because of roster issues, as rosters and draft classes have never been as good as they are now. It has to do with the gameplay/MyLEAGUE logic and the seemingly endless issues with both that totally kill my desire to play. It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

MLB The Show is really the only sports game I can play because it has very few issues compared to 2K, especially in terms of core on-field gameplay. I think because I follow real life basketball so closely, even the smallest issues kill the immersion for me. Could also be that I’m just not into games like I used to be.

Does anyone else spend the majority of their time on 2K WANTING to play, but not actually jumping in because of the myriad of unfixable issues? Or if anyone has been like this and ultimately got over it, how did you do it?

Just interested in hearing from others about this.

I feel ya pain Bro. My copy just collects dust now. Though I do appreciate the work and detail the Devs put into the game, I find the experience unfulfilling and frustrating. It's pretty to look at but not so fun to play, for me at least. Glad to see I'm not alone.

NBA 2K20 • MADDEN 20 • GOLF CLUB 2 • UFC 3 • FIFA 20 • FORZA • FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPIONS
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Rookie

BlastaX's Arena

OVR: 0
Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

Setting 2-hour time periods help me a lot. As soon as editing starts to feel like working I look over at the time and call it a day to get back to some gameplay. Then if I feel I have some time to spare I get back to making some minor tweaks.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9

That was me for years I would spend 2-4 hours adjusting rosters and sliders I never really palayed.
2K18 had so many issues I stopped after a few months.

Now I adjust then play 2qtrs and adjust then start over.

Last edited by keshunleon; 11-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #15
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I spent all spring and summer editing a Fictional roster on NCAA Football 14 and by the time i was done I was tapped out. I had no editing left in me. So when 2k19 came i just ran with whatever the stock roster was and i also downloaded the opening night roster and have rolled with that ever since. Ive decided to play the game this year. $99 is a lot of money to not ever actually play it lol. So unless someone comes out with a dynamic edited roster for the XB1, im rolling with 2k's roster until 2k20.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 19

out of all the sports titles I play. NBA2k has always been the easiest to adjust.
Ive been using the same base sliders since NBA 2k15., and adjust from there.
The sliders that Ive adjusted the past 2 years are basically the player speed/fast vs slow. and game speed, nothing else

In addition, you have to take into account how 2k adjusts the game difficulty on a yearly basis. in other words I think that this years pro level was probably last years superstar level. this of course is just a theory.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »