Home

Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

This is a discussion on Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceThePace
I’ve always been a guy who gets annoyed when rosters weren’t accurate and had to edit them before playing, but I could always jump in and play after I fixed them. However, over the past few years, I can’t even get myself to jump into the game at all. I’ve probably played less than 10 full games of 2K since 2K16.

This isn’t because of roster issues, as rosters and draft classes have never been as good as they are now. It has to do with the gameplay/MyLEAGUE logic and the seemingly endless issues with both that totally kill my desire to play. It seems like 2K has so many issues that the only way to achieve a realistic experience is to spend hours and hours of time doing maintenance (sliders, contracts, progression, etc.) in hopes of making the game work correctly, yet we all know it’s impossible to get to that point. I just tweak and tweak and tweak but never dive in.

MLB The Show is really the only sports game I can play because it has very few issues compared to 2K, especially in terms of core on-field gameplay. I think because I follow real life basketball so closely, even the smallest issues kill the immersion for me. Could also be that I’m just not into games like I used to be.

Does anyone else spend the majority of their time on 2K WANTING to play, but not actually jumping in because of the myriad of unfixable issues? Or if anyone has been like this and ultimately got over it, how did you do it?

Just interested in hearing from others about this.
this post could have been me. You echoed everything I feel. Honestly I get more enjoyment out of doing 30 team control and handling all the GM stuff and telling a league story rather than playing games

I think we change though and our expectations change. I've been playing basketball games since Dr. J vs. Bird on the PC. Someone mentioned the old Bulls vs. Suns games (precursor to NBA Live). Back then when something wasn't realistic, rather than bemoan it and spam a message board with a ton of posts, I exploited the heck out of it and reveled in winning every game with huge stats.

Different mindset as I got older, and I'm not sure a better one. I wish I could just "play."

Last edited by Comduklakis; 11-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Anyone else get so caught up in tweaking the game that you don’t actually play?

I get so caught up in thinking about all the things that need to be tweaked, especially ratings and tendencies, that I don't even play. We all know about the gameplay issues, but for me the fact that the ratings and tendencies of so many players are ignored and/or completely wrong is very, very disheartening.

With all the film and data available for players now, the reality is that it is a development design decision to not fix so many players. That just isn't right.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm addicted to editing the look of the game.. shoes and accessories, signature styles, height, etc..I do that then hop into 2KU to test my edits, occasionally I'll do play now but that's few an far between because I made a discovery back in 16.. dont do anything related to seasons or leagues until at least February because the game will have been patched at least 4 to 5 times, the better roster makers who focus on tendencies will have had time to make their tweaks, and usually the aesthetic add-ons are done by then
Old 11-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #20
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Are you still having this issue? I have ran several test sims, in ML, trying to replicate this glitch, and I have yet to have it happened. Im on PS4, although I wouldnt think that should matter.

Maybe you have tried, other rosters, and different draft classes, but if you havent try running a test sim in ML, with a different roster file, and/or a different draft class.

Yea I know it's tied to rosters and Draft classes. I'm on PC. I have 5 custom classes and it happens with 1 of them.

Problem is, that it also happens when I switch from generic to any custom draft class.

I don't have the stomach to start over with my custom made roster because I spent weeks on making EVERY current team's staff accurate (down to the head scout and CFO's).

If it's my roster I would completely be done with this.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #21
Rookie

Iwobble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceThePace
Does anyone else spend the majority of their time on 2K WANTING to play, but not actually jumping in because of the myriad of unfixable issues? Or if anyone has been like this and ultimately got over it, how did you do it?

Just interested in hearing from others about this.
I spend a ridiculous amount of time on editing to get everything just the way I like it. Unfortunately by the time I do I seem to have lost interest in actually playing the games. When I do try and play games back to back to back I start to understand how even the NBA players can lose interest in playing each and every game in a season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #22
Rookie

I love this post.
I suffer from editingisist as well. I'm not bad with equipment or shoes. But I'm bad about ratings and people on the correct teams. I start a myleague make moves here and there and lose interest because it's not real. I have a big problem with not being real, and it annoys me. This year, which I'm still on 2k18, I'm doing better. Playing with the Pacers, controlling roster moves for the Sonics. And I got to a point tonight. Searching on trade finder. Came across a trade from the Hawks and froze. All I could think of was how unfair this trade is. I couldn't do it. And I need to change that. I like to keep some of the trades and signings real but little things like an Alex Len trade for Jo Young who cares If that's real or not. Not going to effect the outcome of their season more than likely. But I like what someone has said on this, JUST PLAY.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #23
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

I more so get caught up tweaking sliders trying to get a realistic experience. 2k says the game is more realistic every yr and in some aspects it is, but they always manage to kill any legitimacy of that with their patches...like the AI contesting for example. It was realistic and they ruined it with a patch change. Another thing thats going on too is CPU ball security being op. They can just charge into crowds and endlessly bump elite defenders around trying to force the ball inside and hardly ever will they loose the ball or pick up dribble. But the user does that and the ball is guaranteed to bounce of a defenders arm, leg, ect for the bump steal or you'll be forced to pick up your dribble. These things are ruining my experience so i'm steadily tweaking sliders trying to find the right balance.

Last edited by WarMMA; 11-19-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #24
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I've been playing MyCareer NBA games to break up the editing grind. I don't judge that mode as harshly as MyLeague/MyGM and it's easy to just pick up and play. The immersion of being your own player and not worrying about the rest of the league also gives me perspective to see how much progress the edits have made versus the 2K default rosters/sliders.

I haven't been able to start and enjoy a MyLeague before January since 2K11. The game doesn't have the level of attention to detail required for me to enjoy MyLeague out-of-the-box. We're on patch 6 and there are still some serious issues that I'm waiting to see addressed before finalizing a MyLeague roster. It's not enough to prevent me from picking up 2K19, but it does take some of the excitement away when you wait 3-4 months after release to fully enjoy a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »