Home

We need to talk about illegal screens, screen animations and AI PnR defence

This is a discussion on We need to talk about illegal screens, screen animations and AI PnR defence within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
We need to talk about illegal screens, screen animations and AI PnR defence

This has been a problem with 2k for years. Even just writing my title, I see a bunch of topics people have created dating back to 2013 about all the illegal screens that 2k allows players to use in game.

Lets start with moving screens. This is something that has been allowed in 2k for years. If you played 2k16 when they first allowed Curry to shoot fadeaway 3's from damn near half court, you will immediately recognize this action of calling a pick when running for speed down the court and actually use the pick before the man is set. This is an offensive foul in real life 10/10 times. Its not even subtle.

Even more egregious is that this sort of screen works as well. If you miraculously happen to not get stuck into the chest of the screener, the screener will continue to move with you until you do. No call of course

The next issue is the screen animations themselves. The animations are too long and drawn out and completely take away agency from the user. This means that on offence, all you need to do is call a pick and wait for the game to suck the defender into an animation then shoot a 3 or drive to suck in another defender.

If you play MyTeam Unlimited, 9/10 people use this as their entire offence. Call a screen and wait until you get sucked into the animation and shoot a 3. Again, maybe with Joe Ingles this guy misses. But when you're trying to defend it against Granger with 99 in every 3pt category then don't be surprised if he shoots 5/8 from 3.

Lastly, the AI makes terrible decisions as the roll defender regardless of if you allow the AI to guard both players in the PnR or you handle one or the other. Look at how I beat the screen with WB here, only to see Porzingis just standing there disengaged on defence not guarding anyone. Even if the AI wanted me to switch, that makes zero sense for multiple reasons.

1. There is 20 seconds left on the shot clock. This is not a late clock situation.
2. I beat the screen. There is no reason to prematurely switch if the ball defender doesn't lose his man
3. The mismatch it causes to switch is massive. KAT would destroy WB in the post if I were to switch onto him (also, even in times I do try to switch, the AI won't even guard the ball handler and leave him for an open 3)

I already know you're cracking your hands to tell me to change my defensive settings, but why is it that we all are required to turn off 2k's dynamic coaching and set blanket common sense PnR defence coverage every game that we play?

I primarily play MyTeam since 2k17, and as always, as soon as highly rated cards (the ones that are 90+ in all offensive categories with gold and HOF badges) come out, all the issues with basic fundamental gameplay become hard to ignore. Its easy to forgive a blown coverage on a PnR when the roller will probably miss his layup or the ball handler isn't that great of a shooter. When you're facing guys that are 99 in everything however, boy do these issues make it hard to keep you playing this game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #2
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We need to talk about illegal screens, screen animations and AI PnR defence

I can say nothing but i agree. The CPU switching in MyCareer is stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Rookie

My main problem is that bad dribblers are using on-ball screens and having too much success.

Why is Joe Ingles using on-ball screens?
(I know he's a borderline case but hear me out)

Why is a random Pure SharpShooter/Pure Stretch Big with HOF shooting badges getting away with dribbling and using an on-ball screen?

These types of players should be extremely prone to slower/bad shooting animations, pickup animations, steals, no matter who the screener is.

The more I think about it if this aspect(plus having wraps in the game) of on-ball screens were addressed we wouldn't completely need the heavy contest buff we got that broke inside scoring.

The skill gap for using screens needs to be MUCH HIGHER for non-dribbling players.

As for dealing with working with the CPU I think you just need to set your Defensive Communication settings on.

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill
Old 11-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTill
As for dealing with working with the CPU I think you just need to set your Defensive Communication settings on.
I have the communication settings on, but they are often incorrect. When my AI teammate calls for a switch, it's 50/50 if they are actually going to switch. And so many times I see my Center calling a mismatch, when he's matched up with the other center. So relying on the AI's communications aren't something you can really do.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Banned

Really tbh none of those gifs you posted are illegal screens except the BNY and TOR game. You are just terrible at reading the screens. You dont always have to bump into them. I see people here complaining about illegal screens but when i use my 70 overall PLAY/SHARP, i had to guard an overall 93 in rec center and i completely shut him down and was hounding him. Im seriously thinking of making a video and show everyone here how to avoid them. The only difficult screens are the double screen on the top of the key those are hard to ger around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

They patched in more illegal screen calls either in 2K16 or 2K17 about halfway through the year (can't remember which one) and it GREATLY improved the gameplay, then for whatever reason they removed it afterwards and it was back to being a trainwreck ever since.

They need to implement that back in again for starters, or if they can't code it then they need to make the functionality of the equivalent of Gold Pick Dodger basline for all defenders to curtail the long and drawn out animation cheese.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Banned

Housh123's Arena

The AI switching has been stupid forever

My career defense is basically impossible to play because of this. I will clearly switch and my AI instead of switching will try to run back to his man leaving mine wide open

Then when they do switch it’s totally random and stuoid

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyNscratchy
Really tbh none of those gifs you posted are illegal screens except the BNY and TOR game. You are just terrible at reading the screens. You dont always have to bump into them. I see people here complaining about illegal screens but when i use my 70 overall PLAY/SHARP, i had to guard an overall 93 in rec center and i completely shut him down and was hounding him. Im seriously thinking of making a video and show everyone here how to avoid them. The only difficult screens are the double screen on the top of the key those are hard to ger around.
The screen setter can’t be moving while the screen is being set and used by another player or its an illegal screen. Don’t know how difficult that is to understand? The examples I highlighted of the screener moving into the path of the defender aren’t really arguable. You can clearly see the screener moving lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »