Home

NBA 2K19 Playbook Changes Are a Significant Test Case for Simulation Basketball

This is a discussion on NBA 2K19 Playbook Changes Are a Significant Test Case for Simulation Basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #49
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NBA 2K19 Playbook Changes Are a Significant Test Case for Simulation Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
YAK, hopefully you chime in here on the importance of testing plays and the impact plays have to CPU AI execution to create sim experience. It can’t just be me and I know we think alike on this. They need to hear it. You & I hang out on roster forums where most get it and understand it there but main forum there are a lot of people who don’t. Might be good to state your stance as you know this game inside and out and do great work and you are very thorough in testing. Great advocate and voice in this area. Hopefully you can chime in...
I’ve touched on it in the SIMNATION thread, but this game suffered through 3 months of almost unplayable sim basketball because ACE wasn’t customizable this year. We need the ability to configure Series, Freelance, and Set Plays at the Coach level in the Roster. Even with the great new plays added to Playbooks, it was actually some of the ACE player specific and team specific changes that had the larger impact over the past few weeks in my opinion. AI teams were just cycling through Series and Iso before these updates regardless of what was in the playbook. The ability to update these systems without game patches is a gift for the community. I just feel bad for Czar and the team because it’s too much work for them to take on while focusing on other areas of the game.

As for play testing, that’s as core to gameplay as any aspect of the game. There have been past 2K releases where up to 25% of the plays in the game have had broken/misconfigured actions. Czar and the team have done a great job with branching to limit the impact of one bad action, but I’ve been told they need to re-do play design every release which is a nightmare. That means the product team has decided to put more pressure on QA/QC to test these plays to ensure they run properly. That’s not an easy task since it takes some knowledge of real world basketball concepts and the underlying play system.

Vann and I have probably spent thousands of hours combined in Practice Plays and game modes just running through sets. That’s time wasted from enjoying the user experience and it can’t be the consumer’s job each year to discover those issues.

Hopefully the community recognizes the difference between gameplay now and before these playbook and ACE updates. I’ve played some of the best games ever in this series over the past week. It’s not even a similar game to the one that was shipped. Thank you to Czar and let’s keep it going for the rest of the league.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #50
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K19 Playbook Changes Are a Significant Test Case for Simulation Basketball

As much as I hate to say this, since i thumbed my nose for years. Tendencies, rosters and playbooks affect the realism of the game more then anything. I played the 76ers about 10 times straight and watching Ben Simmons lead the team in shot attempts every game is a game killer. They run post ups and clear outs for him all game, and Embeid and his 63 o board rating eats only off of put backs.

It would nice to see Butler and Embeid get more shot attempts and actions ran for them.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 12-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #51
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0

The mav playbook is horribly unreal, just like the spurs playbook out of the box.
Luckily, there are two valid plays.

CUT LOOP 42 DIVE (Play Type = Cutter)
QUICK 43 GIVE LOOP (Play Type = 3 PT)

Both plays can be assigned to Mathews.

https://youtu.be/SDgmhLSAEyU
https://youtu.be/P8JUMg0f8Nk

There is a base set run by the Mav this year that looks like the Piston Snap action, but due to the placement of the centers and the cut actions, they aint the same at all.

Hope Czar can give some love to the Mavs, give them a series!

https://youtu.be/VfKOjfDkQVk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #52
Pro

JoFri's Arena

The lakers must have stolen this play from Rick Carlisle. Saw them run it in the Mavs game.

https://youtu.be/qcl60KvZcHw

You will need to add this play to the lakers playbook as they just run it recently.

PUNCH LOOP 25 (Post Up Low)
Assign to Ingram and have Lebron play as the power forward
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #53
MVP

JBCAROLINAKID's Arena

OVR: 5

Vann do u have a list of plays to keep for the teams czar has edited so far so I can keep only the ones that actually work?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 AM   #54
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
The mav playbook is horribly unreal, just like the spurs playbook out of the box.
Luckily, there are two valid plays.

CUT LOOP 42 DIVE (Play Type = Cutter)
QUICK 43 GIVE LOOP (Play Type = 3 PT)

Both plays can be assigned to Mathews.

https://youtu.be/SDgmhLSAEyU
https://youtu.be/P8JUMg0f8Nk

There is a base set run by the Mav this year that looks like the Piston Snap action, but due to the placement of the centers and the cut actions, they aint the same at all.

Hope Czar can give some love to the Mavs, give them a series!

https://youtu.be/VfKOjfDkQVk
Ive been using the Piston snap with Dallas, but yeah it's not perfect.

If he gives them a series, it should be that action where a guard runs an Iverson cut in a wing pick and roll, has the choice of going either side, or kicking to the other wing where the other guard can run a pick and roll. So many options, seems perfect for a series. They've been running it for years.

1.40-2.05 of this video.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #55
Pro

JoFri's Arena

I will suggest that they copy piston snap, modify it and call it Mav Snap. They already have Bos Snap isnt it? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #56
MVP

OVR: 33

Havent played nor been followig Mr. President as much, but does anybody knows if there have been any further updates introduced lately ?

I know it is not as easy or fast as we would hope, just to know if there are any more of them.

And again, cant stress enough how much I/we value these playbook updates !

Last edited by ffaacc03; 12-07-2018 at 09:31 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »