Home

For Realism with dribble moves. Size ups can't be One Button Helper Moves

This is a discussion on For Realism with dribble moves. Size ups can't be One Button Helper Moves within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #9
Pro

SuperNoVa27's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: For Realism with dribble moves. Size ups can't be One Button Helper Moves

Really don’t think there is anything wrong with how sizeups are implemented. A lot of these moves don’t even have inputs that would allow you to organically string them together.

The “dribble gods” don’t even spam them they spam the momentum moves back to back until they get an ankle breaker to pop.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Rookie

Bulletproof86's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27
Really don’t think there is anything wrong with how sizeups are implemented. A lot of these moves don’t even have inputs that would allow you to organically string them together.

The “dribble gods” don’t even spam them they spam the momentum moves back to back until they get an ankle breaker to pop.

Yep thats what it is!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I miss the days when you got to pick each individual animation for every dribble move and shot type. I hate the "packages" they have now. And what makes it even worse is when you want to preview the moves in a package, and they keep repeating the same one over and over instead of cycling through the ones included.

I don't know who's in charge of those decisions, but they should be fired.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27

This. There's nothing wrong with the current set up. People complained about the dribble system in 2k16 saying it was too easy etc. 2k has changed it since then and added more of a learning curve to it and people still complain. I'll never understand it.

You're asking 2k to make dribbling even more complex when walking size ups broke the dribbling system last year. I don't think that's a good idea for a company that breaks their game more than they fix it.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
Rookie

i understand the point of this thread and somewhat agree with the sentiment of what you all are saying about more user control vs preset animations . but i am happy with the current system and i dont think it is as black and white as some posters are trying to make it seem ...

yes tapping up on the right stick once will trigger complex crossover moves that could/should be made more difficult to pull off in the interest of realism , but there is a timing and spacing aspect that you have to be aware of in the first place that factors into the dribbling system in 2k19 . you can initiate the size up , but depending on when you move the left stick you have a variety of ways of getting past the defender and if you time it right it comes out looking very nice . i have a video example here where i used jonathan isaac and gave him kd's signature size up , hopefully this illustrates what i was trying to explain in some way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y18x9k-gPVM
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 19

I agree with the sentiment that dribble sizeup should be based on the user stick skills, not just pushing up on the controller.

personally there is a way for 2k to give users the best of both worlds.

within every dribble size up move there are basic dribble stick skills that are needed in the sequence.
2k should implement a feature where the user would have to learn the order or combination of each dribble move before they are able to trigger "said" players size up move.

in essence the size up move is the one specific animation in the chain of animations. if its done incorrectly that user would not trigger that specific animation. I would even go as far as say that the player would lose control of the ball, if the size up move is triggered in the wrong sequence.

it would cause users to really learn the players strengths and moves. kind of like learning a players release point on a jump shot.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
What you're asking for is already in the game and has been there for years. There are various dribbles that each player has using the RS. Signature size up's are just and easier way to bring signature like moves to the game without having to motion capture each individual dribble in that one move.

Live has dribble system you're looking for. 2K had a similar system in 2K12-13 I believe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
my point is. take out the one push of the right stick to perform sig moves OUT completely. thats a helper. dont do the helper stuff for people. Let them learn how james harden does his move. then replicate said move with the stick in every direction necessary to perform said move. You have already recorded James harden like dribbles. thats all you need. you dont need to record more. the problem is they have set animations setup for regular dribbling then sig animations for sig stuff. dont do that. take the sig posture of the players move and apply that to every move.

The logic is this:

james harden

I buy james harden dribble package

So if i have a my player with James' dribble moves. My guy will have a posture like james harden on every dribble move he does.

If I hit cross over, it does a james harden like cross over. If i go around the back it does a james harden like around the back. If i do a hessi, it does a james harden hessi. if i do a step back, it does a james harden like step back.

So when i slow chain the james crossover. it will look like his signature move, but I will have to know how to slowly do that move and then to burse out of it on my own. a lot of these fancy dribbling dudes/ladies are using that helper to make themselves look like they're doing it. but they're not. I need for the offensive player to have to put that work in and do those moves. because that opens up my ability on defense to pick your pocket if you dont know how to do the moves correctly. This is how you get a balanced game going. not even, but balanced.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I agree with the sentiment that dribble sizeup should be based on the user stick skills, not just pushing up on the controller.

personally there is a way for 2k to give users the best of both worlds.

within every dribble size up move there are basic dribble stick skills that are needed in the sequence.
2k should implement a feature where the user would have to learn the order or combination of each dribble move before they are able to trigger "said" players size up move.

in essence the size up move is the one specific animation in the chain of animations. if its done incorrectly that user would not trigger that specific animation. I would even go as far as say that the player would lose control of the ball, if the size up move is triggered in the wrong sequence.

it would cause users to really learn the players strengths and moves. kind of like learning a players release point on a jump shot.
i see where you're going with this. but i would have to decline your offer. lol.
The reason being, i dont want the game to become a fighting game. where its just a combo of button presses to create a certain move. nope, i want the stick to be moved in the proper direction while its happening on the game then you have to move the stick to bring the ball back the other way and back again, etc. if you do it wrong it may or may not result in a bad dribble that bounces off of your foot. depending on which part you do wrong based on the visuals. if it doesnt LOOK like it should bounce off your leg/shoe. then dont auto make it turn into a weird bad dribbling animation. but i also dont want it to be a situation where if you do it perfectly you automatically get some ankle breaker animation. NOPE. to trigger that, the defender has to break his own ankles. People forget this part of real basketball. Offensive players dont actually break the defenders ankles. i know we say that but thats not what actually happens.

An offensive player can dribble until his heart is content and a defender could decide to never move left or right. or could only go hard right and never go back left. the chose is 100% on the defender what he/she does or anticipates the offensive guy doing. The ankles are broken ONLY when a defender is trying to move hard right or hard left and then they are late on the anticipation and they end up going so hard one way then trying to stop and go back the other. they end up losing their balance. because law of physics say you can't change directions like that. you have to first stop going one way then start going the other.

Last edited by splashmountain; 12-11-2018 at 08:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »