Home

NBA 2K20 / NBA 2K21 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD

This is a discussion on NBA 2K20 / NBA 2K21 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: NBA 2K20 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekurlan2
Hey everyone!

I made a quick analysis video of the 2015-2016 Westchester Knicks who ran the Triangle better than their big brother did IMO.

Two possessions are highlighted including Blind Pig and the Corner Series, I hope you can watch and share your thoughts, thank you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADnlnBZUtbM

Sadly I didn’t like how they ran it either. I’ve watched a few of their games on msg and YouTube. I actually grew up about 15mins from White Plains, NY where they play their home games. IMO they just ran it more often and may have had more practice time too. The main issue lies with who is teaching it and how much of an onus they place on learning fundamentals and the value footwork. Small details like pivoting or doing a proper rebound-screen cut make all the difference in the world. These guys don’t snap to it. That’s why watching the Knicks or even the mid 2000 Lakers were awful to watch for me. Melo has nothing on how bad Smush Parker was. If you want to watch a player execute watch Rick Fox, Luke Walton, Bshaw, Harp, Buchy, Steve Kerr especially. In this new global style I’d watch some Barangay Ginebra San Miguel games in the Philippines. Tim Cone is still running it I think.

Nice vid though! Just two housekeeping notes: What occurs in the first possession is actually called the “Backdoor Step” and occurs when the strong side triangle is already formed. “Blind Pig” occurs before an entry pass or dribble entry is made. It’s a common mix up of the terminology. And on the next possession, the cut made most often by the strongside wing on a N.2 pass to the corner is typically called a “banana cut”. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildog
Sadly I didn’t like how they ran it either. I’ve watched a few of their games on msg and YouTube. I actually grew up about 15mins from White Plains, NY where they play their home games. IMO they just ran it more often and may have had more practice time too. The main issue lies with who is teaching it and how much of an onus they place on learning fundamentals and the value footwork. Small details like pivoting or doing a proper rebound-screen cut make all the difference in the world. These guys don’t snap to it. That’s why watching the Knicks or even the mid 2000 Lakers were awful to watch for me. Melo has nothing on how bad Smush Parker was. If you want to watch a player execute watch Rick Fox, Luke Walton, Bshaw, Harp, Buchy, Steve Kerr especially. In this new global style I’d watch some Barangay Ginebra San Miguel games in the Philippines. Tim Cone is still running it I think.

Nice vid though! Just two housekeeping notes: What occurs in the first possession is actually called the “Backdoor Step” and occurs when the strong side triangle is already formed. “Blind Pig” occurs before an entry pass or dribble entry is made. It’s a common mix up of the terminology. And on the next possession, the cut made most often by the strongside wing on a N.2 pass to the corner is typically called a “banana cut”. Just wanted to clarify.
Thank you Taildog! I appreciate it coming from you.

Yes, totally understood on the Blind Pig vs backdoor. I have found that calling all back door blind pig is easier for others to understand.

My god thank you for the banana cut it was tip of the tongue moment where it was in my brain but I couldn’t get it out!

Love your note about practice time and details. I couldn’t agree more.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #59
MVP

NBA 2K20 - OFFICIAL TRIANGLE SYSTEM THREAD

Tex in his element...

What a teacher this guy was. I’d like to point out how important having the triangle specific early offense actions were in 2K16-2K19. Without it this year it takes longer for players to flow to their primary spots on the floor. It feels like if you don’t have auto plays on you’re at a disadvantage and this leads to even less ppl calling plays than before. I reached out to Czar about it this week. I know keeping those specific ones for freelances like this and even Swing is very hard to maintain so I suggest that they add a set play we could call like the 98 Spurs had in last gen games like 2k12. Those “EARLY” plays had an initiation spot at the half court line. With the AI being smarter now when it comes to calling smart plays I hope this is a viable solution.

Also the notice the use of the dribble weave. I’ll be posting a couple vids on the dribble weave out of pinch post and out of the open floor set.

Enjoy

[SPOILER=“Triangle Offense - On Court Demonstration by Tex Winter (Part 1)”]https://youtu.be/-pa5i9C4mp4[/spoiler]

[SPOILER=“Triangle Offense - On Court Demonstration by Tex Winter (Part 2)”]https://youtu.be/VC15ZuEkp7g[/spoiler]

[SPOILER=“Triangle Offense - On Court Demonstration by Tex Winter (Part 3)”]https://youtu.be/neSBi7Iwbl4[/spoiler]

Last edited by taildog; 04-09-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #60
MVP

FIST 35 SIDE

This is a counter I started using to the solo cut series. In the play art the PF is on the wing but in game he drifts back to the block for proper triangle spacing on the weakside. Play art in 2K is awful lol. Now you could technically just call “Punch 5 Base Tri” and then call for a manual PNR but the spacing you get on the weakside may not be ideal. Only downside is the play is always for the SF no matter which pnr ballhandler you call the play for.

https://youtu.be/pnnWosjGs7Y
Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #61
MVP

For anyone wondering, the new episode of Detail featuring Phil Jackson is streaming on ESPN+. I have paid $4.99 for 23 minutes of 22 yr old content lol. Wasn’t too bad but I’d recommend waiting until someone puts the full vid on YT for free. I would have chosen a much cleaner game to break down. Definitely not the same production without Kobe.

https://youtu.be/vCH08PqE-iE

Coach Nick also came out with a video yesterday but again he should have chosen another game with more options executed. Also he mixes up terminology quite often. Example: several references to a guard quickie but team was actually run a completely different option of a completely different series. But I’m always grateful for content .

Last edited by taildog; 04-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #62
MVP

https://youtu.be/o7KDeC7DOXk
Old 04-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #63
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0

Thanks Taildog I wasnt aware of Phil Jackson's breakdown of his own Triangle. Will definitely watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 1

Do you guys feel we could use triangle as a Princeton like system for 2k20?? A lot of backdoor cuts and what not

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »