Home

Angryjoe's 2k take.

This is a discussion on Angryjoe's 2k take. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #305
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Angryjoe's 2k take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
Besides, one can very easily play and compete in the MyPlayer modes by going no money spent. I'm not sure it's really "moving the goalposts" so much as it is reminding people that there are, indeed, other options. If MyCareer and MyTeam were literally the only modes in the game, y'all would have a point, but it feels like y'all are chasing your tails here.
But you have to stay vigilant cause they already tried to have only VC based modes (MyPlayer, MyGM and MyTeam) back in 2k14 for next gen.

Obviusly I refused to buy the game, only case since (iirc) 2k9.

So it's not just paranoia given 2k past behaviour and current tendencies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #306
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Ummmmm...do they have a create-your-charcter feature? Your analogy would be more closely related if you play with the actual NBA teams.
FIFA pro clubs lets you make your player and the grind is 100000000000000000x better than 2k's. Then again, we have a simple menu and decent matchmaking so FIFA isnt trying to waste my time and shove ads in my face, make me go to a stupid gym, sell me boosts, and all that BS.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 09-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #307
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat
...and here we come to the actual reason for the fake outrage. Entitlement. “I want a maxed out player in an online mode from the beginning without any cost or effort. Because, I’m better than everyone else. I have a life, which is totally unique to me and nobody else.”

At least this one is honest.

No one cares about your “life,” dude. The game would suck if everyone has max attributes right away and The neighborhoods would be empty by Halloween. If you don’t want to work at it, don’t play MyPlayer, or just don’t buy 2K. There absolutely is an aspect of grinding which makes you appreciate what you have. Maybe 2K could tone is down a notch, but that’s still a reward for investing time into the mode. Take that away and it gets taken for granted.
Lmao at entitlement. Also if you think the game would be dead without grinding idk what to even tell you

Some of the most played games like DOTA, fortnite, rocket league, overwatch, etc. Have no/minimal leveling up, you just enjoy the game. Doesn't the 2k league have preset builds (not sure, or was it the combine?)? If 2k has good gameplay no one is gonna care about the grind. Obviously from 2k's side they put the miserable grind in so that people spend cash, but from a player side, no way is the grind necessary.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #308
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I did play some in 17 to grind the Grand Badges back then, but that's about it. I'm simply saying that if you want to control one player in a 5v5 setting (as most in that MP community do) there is a cost-free option to scratch that itch. Further still for the guys who just want to play MyCareer, you can easily player lock in MyLeague and have total control over your ratings and progression with no cost attached. In addition, MP itself can be cost free if you are patient and put the time in.

I think the point is that no one is forcing the player to pay the extra.
But that isn't the point, we're not discussing that. I'm indifferent to the whole VC thing, I totally get why it's there why people would spend money on it with a full time job and family to take care of but I also don't think it should be in the game at all but i'm not going to complain about it really. I will complain about UI Designs and Features that resemble gambling, whether or not real money is involved, because I know it's not supposed to be in a basketball game rated E for Everyone. I don't appreciate the excuses people are making for 2k here when it comes to this specific case.

However the real issue on this discussion is MyCareer is a whole different animal to the modes you're talking about, it's not the same 5v5 experience even if you locked to your position with a CAP or a NBA player in MyLeague.
The whole point of mycareer is not Park, Pro-Am and Rec, It's the offline MyCareer experience with the prelude, the story, the events that trigger, getting to the Draft playing for the NBA team that drafted you or requesting a trade to another team and living YOUR DREAM!!!

The online modes are only thrown in with the neighborhood, as well as the stores, in an attempt to suck players out of money. Like I said before you're NOT a MyCareer player Like I am and others who simply dedicate 6-12 months on MyCareer offline experience you wouldn't understand why we feel the way we do about the mode, the mode is special and unique and it's one of the BIGGEST things that draws people in to nba 2k over Live's NBA game. If NBA2k didn't have the MyCareer Mode, I'd be playing NBA live right now.

2k knows this and they try to add so many things and do so many things to skate a fine line of what's acceptable or not because they know there's 0 alternative to NBA2k, LIVE is a decent simulator but it's not a good basketball game and sadly there might not be NBA LIVE 20 this year too so we're really left with 1 game this time around.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #309
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBlade98
But that isn't the point, we're not discussing that. I'm indifferent to the whole VC thing, I totally get why it's there why people would spend money on it with a full time job and family to take care of but I also don't think it should be in the game at all but i'm not going to complain about it really. I will complain about UI Designs and Features that resemble gambling, whether or not real money is involved, because I know it's not supposed to be in a basketball game rated E for Everyone. I don't appreciate the excuses people are making for 2k here when it comes to this specific case.

However the real issue on this discussion is MyCareer is a whole different animal to the modes you're talking about, it's not the same 5v5 experience even if you locked to your position with a CAP or a NBA player in MyLeague.

The whole point of mycareer is not Park, Pro-Am and Rec, It's the offline MyCareer experience with the prelude, the story, the events that trigger, getting to the Draft playing for the NBA team that drafted you or requesting a trade to another team and living YOUR DREAM!!!

The online modes are only thrown in with the neighborhood, as well as the stores, in an attempt to suck players out of money. Like I said before you're NOT a MyCareer player Like I am and others who simply dedicate 6-12 months on MyCareer offline experience you wouldn't understand why we feel the way we do about the mode, the mode is special and unique and it's one of the BIGGEST things that draws people in to nba 2k over Live's NBA game. If NBA2k didn't have the MyCareer Mode, I'd be playing NBA live right now.

2k knows this and they try to add so many things and do so many things to skate a fine line of what's acceptable or not because they know there's 0 alternative to NBA2k, LIVE is a decent simulator but it's not a good basketball game and sadly there might not be NBA LIVE 20 this year too so we're really left with 1 game this time around.
I'll disagree on one spot here: I may not play MC much, if at all, but I do love that career experience, so I play Player Lock My League with CAPs all the time. For me, the stories are contrived and I'd rather progress in the way I see fit, not rising from 60 overall nobody to 90 overall superstar over the course of less than a season. I enjoy the "player experience," but I don't enjoy a mode telling me what that experience is supposed to look like, so I farm it out to MyLeague.

Now I will say, this year it looks like something I can get behind even with the contrived story, playing your way higher on team's draft boards without the same brand of silliness that came from the narrative the past few years, so I will likely try to play it and improve as organically as possible, but we'll see. I'll likely be on PNO and MLO far more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 09-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #310
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I'll disagree on one spot here: I may not play MC much, if at all, but I do love that career experience, so I play Player Lock My League with CAPs all the time. For me, the stories are contrived and I'd rather progress in the way I see fit, not rising from 60 overall nobody to 90 overall superstar over the course of less than a season. I enjoy the "player experience," but I don't enjoy a mode telling me what that experience is supposed to look like, so I farm it out to MyLeague.
So in other words, you don't care for the MyCareer experience. So why are you telling people who do, what to do? Your opinions on this matter don't carry much weight when you admit you don't CARE for the MyCareer experience, you want a 5v5 position locked experience with CAP on myleague where as what players like US want is the mycareer experience with the storyline, the events, the draft and living the dream(virtually).

Like I said before you can't relate to people like us because you don't play the mode as much as we do, we put 6/12 months into the game yearly while you don't. You find the story contrived and don't like how the experience is with progress. But alot of us do, this is why telling us to play myleague with a CAP is a horrible suggestion as it's directing us to a mode we don't want to play as it's not MC.

Quote:
Now I will say, this year it looks like something I can get behind even with the contrived story, playing your way higher on team's draft boards without the same brand of silliness that came from the narrative the past few years, so I will likely try to play it and improve as organically as possible, but we'll see. I'll likely be on PNO and MLO far more.
It's still going to have the silliness as 2k doesn't even know how to make a good storyline for these games, i'd much rather the storyline be more similar to an RPG where we have 4-5 different dialog options with all of them leading to different results similar to how Fallout does this, and i'd much rather they remove voice acting and put mute characters(outside of NBA pros) in the game to make the experience vastly deeper.

That was 19's problem, all options lead to the same thing it felt too scripted and forced into 1 direction. in 16 it was better but still the same. 14 was the last game iirc that didn't have much voice acting for the dialog and it was amazing.

But with this being said MC offers something no other mode does, and it's not about the Park / Pro-Am / Rec either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »