Home

Dev Video: L Stick Dribbling And Dribble Styles

This is a discussion on Dev Video: L Stick Dribbling And Dribble Styles within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Dev Video: L Stick Dribbling And Dribble Styles

Scott O'Gallagher did this long stream and it is packed full of tidbits, particularly the use of the L stick for dribbling. A few general pointers.

1. Pay attention to player stops. Some can be branched into other moves or shots. The big guys often need to take a big step or chop steps to stop, and they're more difficult to manoever as they should be.

2. Quick flicks of the L stick with a live dribble get your ball handler to fake one way, and can be chained or create separation.

3. The L stick can be used for dribble moves. From about 1 hour and 25 minutes into that video, he shows us how Kemba can be used. As general principles, lay off turbo, and experiment with flicking the stick in different directions to create different moves based on players dribble styles.

4. These dribble styles are huge. They control how players stop, moves open to them, and speed at which they perform them.

Last edited by Smirkin Dirk; 09-08-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Re: Dev video: L stick dribbling and dribble styles

This quick video about dribbling styles shows off a bit of the system.

The first clip is Kyrie going full sauce mode. Combinations of the L and R stick with vicious crossovers.

The 2nd shows the speed boost Westbrook gets in transition (I think Giannis does also).

The 3rd is the rapid fire crossovers Harden gets and the lightning quick stepback animation.

The 4th shows Westbrook's L stick cross that isn't sweeping or saucy, but is a subtle change of a direction for a steam train.

There's 27 styles.

Maybe we can share what we see?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
MVP

LeBronistheKing's Arena

Does LeBron get a speed boost in transition?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
Does LeBron get a speed boost in transition?
I just spent 10 minutes with Lebron. He is lightning in the open floor, but you can feel his weight as he tries to change direction. It feels really good.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

How is Giannis in open court, the difference of lope is well represented?
We known he uses few steps then other to running down the floor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Where’s the video fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

To add onto this, R trigger placement is still necessary for some elements coming off these dribble styles.

For example, to initiate the Harden "double" stepback, the easiest path to doing it is keeping the ball in the right hand and then you have to hold turbo and then hold away from the hoop on the right stick. If the ball is in his left hand when this is initiated it will do his standard stepback.

My basic feeling so far is that:

1. At the start of possession (triple threat or standing in place) then right stick is the thing to do with the left stick more or less zeroed out.

2. Then from there you might want to incorporate a tapping of the turbo at points to explode out.

3. And then once you're into the pick and roll etc. really focus on just left stick movements to split the defense, hesi, drag a defender, or head to the hoop.

4. In tight spaces, that's when the right stick can come back out a bit once a play stalls out, but again, without using turbo.

Last edited by ChaseB; 09-08-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

I'm just going to be posting short videos of basic movements, this one is an example of what you might do in a pick and roll with Kyrie Irving:

1. First, I do a hard crossover with the left stick just to pull things back from the middle. I play on camera-relative broadcast view, so for me it's hard to explain movements each play, but this is a hard horizontal movement on the stick generally speaking.

2. However, the second clip you see me zero out the left stick then move it more angled towards the hoop, and you get a more aggressive dribble move to the hoop to perhaps split a defense and get that easy layup.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »