Home

Maaaann... Randoms are some haters. IMG inside.

This is a discussion on Maaaann... Randoms are some haters. IMG inside. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:24 AM   #25
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Maaaann... Randoms are some haters. IMG inside.

Didn't read the entire thread, but for me I intentionally won't add players as friends who don't have great court vision or who only pass as a last resort, *cough* Monta Ellis *cough* Dion Waters. I want players who have Jokic's mentality. They should be able to score, they should have that capability and go off if need be, depending on matchups. But they should like getting assists just as much.

But I've played with too many dudes who were a little too happy taking all the shots, even if they were dropping. The thing they JUST DON'T GET is that that type of iso offense usually isn't going to scale well vs good teams, and just as important -- it's also about keeping your teammates happy and wanting to keep running with you.

This is why rec/pro am can be so fun - you're dealing with the dynamism that comes with humans and different personalities and different play styles. Too many players think they're still running with the CPU. Can't forget it's a (virtual) court of 10 humans, you're dealing with real people, real chemistry, real iq, etc. A lot of the real traits from the real courts transfer to online, including players who you can trust to make the right plays and who will be competitive.

It also depends on who you're playing with. I've had brand new players their first game running with my squad and they'd ball hog. I'm like really? I don't know you, no one's vouched for you, and that's the first impression you want to make? But If I'm running with guys I've played 100's of games with, and I know they're pass-first, then if they want to go for 81 like Kobe, go for it. But in my exp., players "are what they are". Ballhogs gonna ballhog, scorers gonna take high FGA (and not aware of passing to help team chemistry), and then later on wonder why they ain't getting picked up anymore.

Last edited by TheFgGoatLikesHawks; 02-07-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2020, 03:33 AM   #26
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

"Ball hogging" is taking 25 shots and bricking most of them with no assists.

If someone has a favorable match up, why wouldn't you exploit that?
Old 02-07-2020, 04:05 AM   #27
MVP

tru11's Arena

ball hogging is not sharing the ball.

wether you make the shots or not.

shots falling and winning just makes it more tolerable depending on the persons you are playing with.

some will stick around others will quit.

in the end i remember a thread where people argued its legit to quit when you dont get enough touches and thus not having fun , so im kinda suprised that now the shoe is on the other foot its frowned upon and makes one a ***** .....

Last edited by tru11; 02-07-2020 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #28
Pro

kdurantmvp's Arena

OVR: 2

If my teammate has 20 points off 8 shots, he's getting the ball whether he likes it or not. When someone is hot, you feed them. It's about the W at the end of the day. If I wanted to just score all day, I'll be in my career. There are other things you can do besides score on offense and that's where the problem lies in the 2k community. Most randoms only think about how many points they get. Don't care about off ball screens, boxing out for offensive rebounds, making the right pass, nothing. Dude a few comments ago said he'll rather lose than win if the difference is he scores. That's why randoms have the worst rep on this game. That's why people squad up in the first place to avoid randoms like that.

Moral of the story is feed the hot hand. If you finish with 0 points and your teammate finish with 39, as long as you got the W, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdurantmvp
If my teammate has 20 points off 8 shots, he's getting the ball whether he likes it or not. When someone is hot, you feed them. It's about the W at the end of the day. If I wanted to just score all day, I'll be in my career. There are other things you can do besides score on offense and that's where the problem lies in the 2k community. Most randoms only think about how many points they get. Don't care about off ball screens, boxing out for offensive rebounds, making the right pass, nothing. Dude a few comments ago said he'll rather lose than win if the difference is he scores. That's why randoms have the worst rep on this game. That's why people squad up in the first place to avoid randoms like that.

Moral of the story is feed the hot hand. If you finish with 0 points and your teammate finish with 39, as long as you got the W, that's all that matters.

*slow clap*
Old 02-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #30
Pro

kdurantmvp's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
*slow clap*

Now on the flip side of the argument about not being mad that your teammate scoring all them points is how he got them points. It's a difference between scoring 35 on 14 shots and 35 on 30 shots. And if they did that boring 5 out offense. But if my teammate is just destroying his man with one or two moves and scoring quickly and efficiently, I have no problems with that

Old 02-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #31
MVP

I mean... I see it both ways. A buddy of mine and i just went on with 2 bigs. We literally controlled the paint all game. We set screens all game, rolled when appropriate but never saw the ball through 3 quarters. I had 2 shot attempts going into the 4th and they were both putbacks. So i decided to start bringing up the ball when i got a rebound. We're both Paint Beasts with HOF contact finisher so i wanted to get a body on the stretch i was guarding. We were blowing them out by 30. My buddy and i out rebounded their 2 bigs 30-10. But they start calling time out on me. I went to game chat and started talking mad crap. They were all like "bro im shooting hella good, why not give it to the real ballers?"

Lol i was...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #32
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

Quote:
If my teammate has 20 points off 8 shots, he's getting the ball whether he likes it or not. When someone is hot, you feed them.
Overall, I agree to feed the hot hand and exploit favorable matchups. But when it becomes a trend or a trait of the player, regardless of if he's hitting or not, it becomes annoying ball hogging. This is why Carmelo Anthony hasn't won crap. Dudes always been a me-first chucker. He pisses off too many of his teammates by his selfish gameplay. He needed Jason Kidd (knicks) at PG to coach him on the court and get him to ever play the right way.

I have a couple players like that on my friends list, and it becomes annoying after a few games. The only reason I keep running with them is they hold their own on defense.

Quote:
It's about the W at the end of the day. If I wanted to just score all day, I'll be in my career. There are other things you can do besides score on offense and that's where the problem lies in the 2k community. Most randoms only think about how many points they get. Don't care about off ball screens, boxing out for offensive rebounds, making the right pass, nothing.
It is about the W but it's also about how you got that W, what level you're playing at as a team, and what level of competition you played vs. Agree most randoms just want to score. Too many 'scorers' are one dimensional and don't offer anything else. Too many don't have the intangibles to understand how to create team chemistry.

Quote:
Dude a few comments ago said he'll rather lose than win if the difference is he scores. That's why randoms have the worst rep on this game. That's why people squad up in the first place to avoid randoms like that.
I took that as the opposite, he'd rather lose and be involved than win with crap ball hoggers. I don't blame him. Then again, I'm thinking from a squads / long term perspective.

Quote:
Agree but when it becomes a trend / trait of the player, f dat.

So many 'scorers' will say "I carried ya'll". Nah dude, most of the time it's the supporting cast that 1) sets you up 2) gives you the space to operate 3) defends etc. There was this one game I had 4 players in my squad + 1 random. Because my squad is very unselfish, that random (who turned out to be a ballhogger) scored 30+ and led everyone. Usually it's the opposite and people will buddy ball and the random will only get 2-3 fga. Was he good? Nope. (we played him again the next game on the other team and he got clamped). But he got buckets because all 4 of us we're positioned right / making the right play / setting him up, which actually allowed the worst player to go off. So these "scorers" need to reevaluate who exactly is responsible for their freedom to score. Many times it's the iq of the supporting cast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »