Home

PS5: Contests need TUNING

This is a discussion on PS5: Contests need TUNING within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PS5: Contests need TUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
I think Kush really nailed it here.RS should be the only way to trigger a contest animation.In my mind I picture those good running contest animations as being a quick contest (i.e. flicking the RS) while moving.
This would also be beneficial from the opposite point of view. I don't know how many offensive boards my centers give up every game because they decide completely on their own (without me pressing or holding anything) to leave their rebounding position under the basket to attempt a contest on a midrange shot of the opposing PG/SG/SF instead. Since they are way too late anyways, the shot is not altered & in addition the offensiv center has an easy time rebounding + scoring under my basket instantly.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxelektrik
This would also be beneficial from the opposite point of view. I don't know how many offensive boards my centers give up every game because they decide completely on their own (without me pressing or holding anything) to leave their rebounding position under the basket to attempt a contest on a midrange shot of the opposing PG/SG/SF instead. Since they are way too late anyways, the shot is not altered & in addition the offensiv center has an easy time rebounding + scoring under my basket instantly.
You make a good point.I know for me personally the most frustrating moments in the game are the ones where it feels like the game takes control away from me to force an outcome.

Better user agency will definitely help prevent the type of situation you described, and make the experience better.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

This is the type of gameplay that stripping the ball or Hands Up should both counter:

It would be nice to see Hands Up turn into a Crowding animation based on the matchup. Obviously Steph isn't gonna crowd someone like Embiid, but Strips/Crowding should be a viable counters to guys pump-faking or being static waiting for defenders to jump:

Blocks like these from Steph should be rare. Foul outcomes should far exceed anything else...he should be trying to contest/strip the ball:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxelektrik
I don't know how many offensive boards my centers give up every game because they decide completely on their own (without me pressing or holding anything) to leave their rebounding position under the basket to attempt a contest on a midrange shot of the opposing PG/SG/SF instead.
The easy fix there is Drop Coverage. It would be really nice and AUTHENTIC to see DC (both the Sixers/Bucks play it) in the game. Its on the guards to defend ALL mid-range shots. The rim protectors never leave the paint:

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-30-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Another gameplay aspect that could sorely benefit from better tech is the Contest mechanic. Re-mapping it to the Right Stick makes it more user-friendly and dynamic, but just as important is giving it new rules. Contesting is in a strange place right now where defenders who aren't even contesting shots get weird AOE bonuses--which is terrible. Embiid is an elite rim protector but he gets out of position here and still affects the shot? Thats bad gameplay.

Keep in mind no one wants a repeat of earlier 2Ks where contesting a shot virtually guaranteed a miss--we want contesting to be skill-based with criteria: 1) separate it from blocks--the two commands should differ a great deal 2) require Good Timing 3) require Good Position 4) require the right personnel, and no defender should make shots miss on a whim unless he's ACTIVELY contesting them. and 5) Risk/Reward - Missing a contest should cause the defender to lunge in the direction they specify...Contests should have a relatively low foul rate, but some contact should be called. I fell for an up/under below, and it should have been whistled:

Bad contest mechanics have made zones much more effective than they should be because each part of the court has a defender capable of bothering shots. Here we catch this guy in a bad rotation and Spencer Dinwiddie? stops Embiid? COME ON:

Middleton never even contests the shot here (he actually misses a steal) but because he's close its considered 81% Contested? YIKES. On another note, contact foul much?

The current level of Contesting has some weird dynamic where going for a block (and missing) ends up being the optimum contest. It empowers the worst kind of cheese. This guy spams steal with McGee allowing Embiid to get behind the defense, but never fear...rim protector extraordinaire Danny Green is here :

Here KCP and Kuz both mistimes their blocks (Howard watches) but instead of a potential 3pt play you get a point-blank miss?

THIS happens often when defenders mistime their blocks in the NBA. Its too rare in NBA 2K.

We can only cross our fingers that Contesting is better designed on the PS5. Giving Rim protectors unbalanced mechanics doesn't improve the game--it only creates loopholes that cheesers will abuse.

Isn't it already on the Right Stick

And nah, 2K needs has enough to worry about on the offensive side of the ball. Paint Beasts are going 5 for 6 in Rec. HOF quick draw is letting you release the ball 5x faster than Curry. Offense has been OP for years.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #14
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
AMEN on Intimidator...defending the rim with your back turned/without contesting can't be a thing.

Hands Down/Man Down isn't just a catchy phrase--its a basketball truism.

Funny thing is I used to think auto-contest (if you were holding L2) was ok, but in the immortal words of Da Czar "You have an opinion and then all of a sudden gameplay enlightens you." but remapping contesting to the R-Stick is paramount. That's the most responsive, dynamic and intuitive way to contest shots.

Intimidator has been the equalizer / counter vs the annual OP 3pt gawds though. Maybe limit it to defense primary or secondary builds (Offensive Threats shouldn't be able to get it), but imo it's a good and needed badge to have to counter the 3pt bs.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFgGoatLikesHawks
Isn't it already on the Right Stick

And nah, 2K needs has enough to worry about on the offensive side of the ball. Paint Beasts are going 5 for 6 in Rec. HOF quick draw is letting you release the ball 5x faster than Curry. Offense has been OP for years.
I'm not trying to minimize your POV, but we're talking exclusively PNO here--2K is a really big game...and we play different parts of it. ALSO: We mean the R-Stick only as a method for quicker, more dynamic contesting.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-30-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFgGoatLikesHawks
Intimidator has been the equalizer / counter vs the annual OP 3pt gawds though. Maybe limit it to defense primary or secondary builds (Offensive Threats shouldn't be able to get it), but imo it's a good and needed badge to have to counter the 3pt bs.
Honestly,I would rather they just tone down the badges so that dudes actually have to take intelligent shots to shoot a good percentage instead of doing 57 dribbles moves then shooting a moving 30 footer and being able to rely on their HoF badges to bail them out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »