Home

Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

This is a discussion on Is passing the ball a liability in this game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
That's not even taking into account that the lob pass (not the alley oop, the straight overhead lob) is probably the worst pass in the entire game. Floats in and is intercepted about 3 out of every four times.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
going forward you should have to read what type of pass it is when stealing. flick up if its a lob..down if bounce pass its too easy if all you gotta do is spam square.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Or gives up corner threes. In reality they guard the best shot in basketball SUPER AGGRESSIVELY...in 2K it can't hurt you consistently so we see zones from most of the "elite" players

Every year someone comes in telling us we're doing everything wrong...do what I do. Laugh it off.
not all teams the raptors give up corner 3’s..part of their gp.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #59
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
going forward you should have to read what type of pass it is when stealing. flick up if its a lob..down if bounce pass its too easy if all you gotta do is spam square.
Exactly. I'd have no problem with some of these "corrections" that people are insisting on if they actually mattered. Different pass types are basically useless in 2k20 because they can all be negated by one press of the square button which will take away every single one of them, regardless of whether or not the opponent was expecting that type of pass.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625

Last edited by mb625; 07-30-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #60
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
EXACTLY. Make steals skilled based and we'll see who really is a good pickpocket and who's only good at pressing square I wrote this last year:

"Guys think they're good at stealing the ball? PROVE IT. Passing lane steals should be L2 + R-Stick in the direction they think the pass is going. UP for a lob pass, down for a bounce pass and Left or Right relative to their position. For example: Trying to steal the inbound pass to Brogdon in the image below would mean holding L2 and flicking the R-Stick right, for a pass to Bledsoe the defender would flick Left.

A steal attempt would make the defender lunge in that direction so they would have to stop/gather after a miss. Guessing wrong means the defender would risk taking themselves out of the play. Let's do away with these ridiculous instances where defenders can spam steal until the ball comes because the EZ MODE mechanics do the hard part FOR them."

This would also add to the strategy part of the game and make the offense mix up their pass types. EVERYBODY WINS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steal position.jpg (44.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-31-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #61
Pro

OVR: 0

Just watch how comp player or 2k league players play and you will instantly realize how broken passing is. In the league the guards will routinely bypass a roller wide open down the lane because there is a defender somewhere in the path even if not near the roller. Watch as the big will just hold the ball and wait for the ball handler to run right up next to them for a hand off because they are too afraid to throw a pass. Watch all the teams playing fullcourt presses and zones even though they are only used situationally in the NBA. And think they are using these types of defenses even when a ball handler can many times dribble right into players chest or spam between the legs without worrying about the turnover.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2020, 12:40 AM   #62
Rookie

tony9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkangil
It seems you get penalized for passing more than you do for over dribbling. Defenders can cover to much ground and do not suffer a big enough penalty for spamming.

Constantly spamming should result in heavy stamina loss and loss of position and leaving your man wide open.

It's so frustrating making simple passes that should be considered safe but someone has an interceptor badge on they can take away a whole side of a court and cover so much ground.

That's so true. You'll get way more turnovers passing the ball vs other people than you will dribbling like an idiot into multiple defenders. The ball isn't even tangiable on so many dribble moves this year and frankly I don't see where it's that much different in 2k21 either. I'm able to behind the back and have the ball go right through defenders bodies as if their not even there in the demo, just like in 2k20.

Badges such as Handles for Days and the lack of ball tangability on so many dribble moves has allowed people to over dribble way to much.

I've never seen so much dumb and selfish basketball being played as I have this year. You can dribble for almost the entire shot clock and not get tired and then easily break out of moving hesitation animations before they even start up and stop on a dime and shoot 3's like it's nothing with any little space.

Basic pass and catch animations are just so poorly animated in the game. You know it's bad when the best and most successful passes to throw are full court passes down court and alley oops. Everything else is a crapshoot in terms of what the game is gonna give you.

They need to go back to the way it was before 2k19 with the way passes animated and the way defenders were able to tip and steal passes. It has gone backwards.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxelektrik
I have to say, I find lead passing incredibly useful. Especially in situations when there are already 3 or more people in the paint. Somehow AI controlled Sharpshooters like Kris Middleton tend to cut to the basket, right when you pass them the ball, instead of spotting up for a wide open 3 pointer...

I'm not gonna spam a bunch of vids, maybe some day, but yea directional passing is one of the keys. If you don't direct where you want the guy to go, he will do the stupidest thing possible. There are still dudes stopping for no reason, or like you'll call for the ball and post up around 15-17 feet and NOBODY WILL MOVE, but in terms of like on the break.

I think passing is kind of complex in 2k. Well, it is in a lot of games (ahem), but there is a point where you can get the ball to someone and they will have a lay up, there's a point where you can give the ball to someone and they will finish it (or if you're playing versus, it will be an open assist that you can easily finish), just by looking at the angle they are moving and where the defender is.

There are still good passes outside, but the really good passes go toward the rim and get your guys lay ups. I think passing becoming harder has caused people to pass less, ironically, especially because of the harsh penalty it imposes for a turn over if you're playing MC. You wanna pass to guys who have a whole side open, guys are in a position to shift the defense... not every pass has to be a lead perfect assist, the game is pretty lenient with giving them out.

But yea there are def times when you throw a pass (assuming HoF) and it's just like there's no way the defense is gonna let you get that, or sometimes a guy will turn around and run off the ball to do a football interception. If you watch a replay of the first situation, you will see what you did wrong, and a lot of the time leading guys (you can lead them any direction I think, or influence them) to give them a better angle is really helpful. It's also helpful to lead when you know the player is in that 'perfect position' that the defender won't steal it and they will kind of warp for a lay up. When the cpu does a crazy interception though, you just gotta say that's cpu BS and keep playing, keep passing, it's definitely the easiest way to score. In a lot of ways, online, too, but especially vs cpu. You should be able to dice the cpu with passes. Just watch what happens after you turn it over. Did you throw it right into a guy's steal animation or did the guy do a crazy, prophetic run and then jump to get it. Learn that you can lead guys outside of the range of said animations with directional passing (altho occasionally guys do get stuck or bump someone at the wrong time leading to a turn over.) All in all, it's just like missing a wide open shot, it happens, but you keep doing what you're doing.

-Smak
Old 08-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #64
Pro

blk5tar5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Could be time to allow us to tap the button to give it arc and hold it for a bullet pass to prevent this kind of thing:

On the other side, defenders should anticipate instead of button-mashing BLIND, confident that square will auto-target the ball for them. Defenders should hold L2 + left/right for a passing lane steal, down for a bounce pass, and up to intercept a lob.

On-ball steals should be L2 + R-Stick towards the ball and missing should take the players momentum in the direction they specified. NO MORE NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. Square should be for deflections out of bounds.

Lastly we need pass accuracy based on rating and slow the bal; over distance (defenders should also get back facing the ball) so this kind of thing dies in 2K20:

Like your idea but doubt 2K will take Madden concept of holding down x for a bullet pass. triple tap /\ for that mid lob pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »