Home

The AI's recovery and contest radius

This is a discussion on The AI's recovery and contest radius within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
The AI's recovery and contest radius

Offline.
SS/HOF levels.
No slider tweaks.
(This plays a role online as well, but let's talk offline right now)

First, let me say that I am enjoying the game enough offline enough to make this thread...and thats saying something...I commend 2K for a lot of the little changes they likely won't get credit for.

but for the last couple of years, after some updates, the AI sees a substantial boost in recovery and contest radius.

This clip sums up what I'm talking about.

https://streamable.com/3d4glx

James Harden not only recovers incredibly quick after getting hit hard on a pick, but causes a 30% contest with his hands down and barely facing me.

I'm not sure of this is done on purpose, or a result of some other settings changed...but what it does is take a great pull up of pick/ face up game put of rotation. You have to think twice about quick pin downs and pulling up quickly. Its just a chunk of creativity taken out of the game.

Hopefully we can find better solutions to making the CPU more challenging. Feel free to share your clips as well (I know Rob has some, lol). Maybe this is something they have no idea is taking place.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-26-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: The AI's recovery and contest radius

This has been in 2k for as long as i can remember.

It's one of two pet peeves hampering 2k for me. Luckily this can be tweaked with sliders. Not sure the other can.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Now you have started a job for me. I got video upon video. I will put together something for you. It’s the one thing they can change to make this game greatly improved.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
This has been in 2k for as long as i can remember.

It's one of two pet peeves hampering 2k for me. Luckily this can be tweaked with sliders. Not sure the other can.
I don't believe closeouts can.

but there are jumpshot/layup contest sliders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Now you have started a job for me. I got video upon video. I will put together something for you. It’s the one thing they can change to make this game greatly improved.
Please do Rob.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 2

I dont see anything wrong with the recovery speed. In real life, if your trying to fight over a screen your momentum at times will make up for a faster recovery or contest... my issue and I think this is yours as well, is the contest %... and yea that shouldn't be a contest or it should have minimal affect.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Can you post a real world example of what you mean?
Old 09-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohns23
I dont see anything wrong with the recovery speed. In real life, if your trying to fight over a screen your momentum at times will make up for a faster recovery or contest... my issue and I think this is yours as well, is the contest %... and yea that shouldn't be a contest or it should have minimal affect.

I never seen anyone stumble and still be able to have full foward momentum that quick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 2

Not sure how many of you have played competitive organized ball at high school or college level. I assume that the majority of you have.

There are certain ways you fight over the ball screen. But rule number one is that you never go "dead" or "die" on a ball screen. Which means if you fight over it you don't give up on the ball handler (your man). If the ball handler beats you, you sprint, do whatever to get back into position...from the clip thats what it looks like Harden did or trying to do. He fought over the screen and then he sprinted back to his man.

Now to the offensive player, this will not affect his shot that much or at all because Harden did not fill recovery to the front of him and put a hand up. He was at his side...now you may say that Harden doesn't exert that much energy on defense but thats another argument with ratings/badges/etc...

But to say that this clip is blatantly fake I'm not so sure. But like I said the 30% contest, I can't agree. But Harden trying to recover I can see that happening...and plus its a video game, give some slack lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »