Home

Drawing Fouls is NECESSARY

This is a discussion on Drawing Fouls is NECESSARY within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Drawing Fouls is NECESSARY

First, many of us were there the last time the game allowed us to Draw Fouls. Was it a disaster? SURE. Because guys could just spam pump fake/go static and wait for the defender to jump and draw fouls at will. But that was because there wasn't a way to properly contest shots. There was a HUGE hole in gameplay.

Contesting/Crowding still needs LOTS of work but its in a much better place.

It may not be fair per se but Drawing Fouls is my expectation. The game punishes savvy players by constantly delivering Neutral Outcomes when guys leave their feet on defense. A huge NBA no-no:

Now Users have a way to contest without trying to block shots. And while we definitely need more Crowding animations to provide counters when we're not baited by pump fakes/static players, even more important is allowing savvy players to draw fouls:

Or punish bad timing with defenders being out of the play. No one who likes good gameplay wants interactions where bad timing always results in a foul.

Last edited by Kushmir; 11-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Drawing Fouls is NECESSARY

I'm comfortable with the outcome of each of clips tbh. Especially since it would have taken a magnet animation to draw foul in all but maybe the last. All of them produced an open shot or a score, punishing the errant jumping. Thats what I prefer personally on the perimeter. As long as I'm not being held in place by the jumper or losing the ball..

Now, errant paint jumps, body blocks? Different story...we need to eliminate those all together. Though drawing fouls on jumps in the paint has improved.

We also need fouls on jumpers brought into Next Gen. I saw a lot more current gen.

https://twitter.com/The24thLetterOS/...866438656?s=19

One thing I will give 2K a lot of props for is making steal attempts on jumpers shooting fouls. GREAT addition there to combat spammers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I'm comfortable with the outcome of each of clips tbh.
Yeah I added the PHX clips because the interactions were great. The Miami clip? NOT SO MUCH. A contact foul is ok there IMO. And even without contact Hayward recovers much too quickly. Gameplay just goes out of its way to ignore physical contact when the user makes the decision to chase a shot block. No one forces his hand, and its not a bail-out foul by the AI...the user consciously made that decision and has to be held accountable. See below:

Quote:
Now, errant paint jumps, body blocks? Different story...we need to eliminate those all together. Though drawing fouls on jumps in the paint has improved.
True. Every Word.

Quote:
One thing I will give 2K a lot of props for is making steal attempts on jumpers shooting fouls. GREAT addition there to combat spammers.
AGREED. You can't imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I saw this:

Last edited by Kushmir; 11-23-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
MVP

tru11's Arena

OVR: 0

Body blocks are my biggest gripe with every 2K.

Pump fake, 3 guys jumping, up and under, 3 guys falling on me, gets block with alot of contact lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I'm comfortable with the outcome of each of clips tbh. Especially since it would have taken a magnet animation to draw foul in all but maybe the last. All of them produced an open shot or a score, punishing the errant jumping. Thats what I prefer personally on the perimeter. As long as I'm not being held in place by the jumper or losing the ball..

We also need fouls on jumpers brought into Next Gen. I saw a lot more current gen.

https://twitter.com/The24thLetterOS/...866438656?s=19

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I have yet to draw a jump shooting foul on next gen. It’s weird to me that that didn’t transfer over. The

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
Body blocks are my biggest gripe with every 2K.
They should be. Its unacceptable at this stage and really puts a dagger in the heart of any "Built from the ground up" claims.

And not balancing interactions like these with Crowding animations to reward the defense is a huge hole in gameplay as well:

Old 11-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
Rookie

H2UKNOW's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
AGREED. You can't imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I saw this:

Looks like Devin Booker only pulled up to draw the foul once he reached. That’s dope!
Old 11-24-2020, 03:05 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Js and inside its a crap shoot. I never minded pump fake spam cept when people would get the call leaning, but current/last gen u can draw fouls all day if you take the right angle into someone's body on the drive.

Othee than that it's a joke. But drive diagonal into their body and don't release the ball, double clutch sometimes that's 30 ftas for one player if u want it. Jab step and explode and catch their body as soon as you are slightly past them, unless they are a defensive beast it's a foul. Pump fake inside and shot stick forward is usually a foul too.

But Yea body blocks and clobber blocks need to be addressed. I love shooting fouls on js but people are gonna hate me for it cuz I'm drawing em all day. The last 2k you could get people up and get fouled I was playing v friends and got jumper fouls on the first three shot attempts I took.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »