Home

Unrealistic Shot Contests

This is a discussion on Unrealistic Shot Contests within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Unrealistic Shot Contests

Sliding and warping to compensate for shortcomings has been a 2K issue for years. And the closeout physics in Rob's video are variably unrealistic. So I'm not sure I follow why so many people are upset about him pointing that out. It seemed to be a reasoned take with video support and steered well clear of familiar histrionics.

I haven't played since 2K20 but that closeout video gave me flashbacks to those times when I'd jab-step a defender out of position only for that same defender to warp back in front of me, closing off my path.

My guess is the warping and odd physics is their band aide to compensate for what they can't do holistically. But those types of things do affect the feel of the game as a whole so I think it's completely fair to shine a light on it all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #66
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Sliding and warping to compensate for shortcomings has been a 2K issue for years. And the closeout physics in Rob's video are variably unrealistic. So I'm not sure I follow why so many people are upset about him pointing that out. It seemed to be a reasoned take with video support and steered well clear of familiar histrionics.

I haven't played since 2K20 but that closeout video gave me flashbacks to those times when I'd jab-step a defender out of position only for that same defender to warp back in front of me, closing off my path.

My guess is the warping and odd physics is their band aide to compensate for what they can't do holistically. But those types of things do affect the feel of the game as a whole so I think it's completely fair to shine a light on it all.
Well said!
Old 09-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
You need to have a valid point to offer constructive criticism.

Showing a vid with bad animations and then call the shot contest system not solid and unrealistic makes no sense whatsoever.

The shot contest system is not the reason for the bad animations.
So why on earth should that be tweaked??

And how on earth is this constructive criticism?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Operation Sports
Answer this, is the shot contest unrealistic? (Y/N)

You are talking about this and that, should'a would'a could'a.

If you think it's realistic, cool many believe it's unrealistic.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:53 AM   #68
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshunleon
Answer this, is the shot contest unrealistic? (Y/N)

You are talking about this and that, should'a would'a could'a.

If you think it's realistic, cool many believe it's unrealistic.
Correction:

Do you think the percentage was realistic?

The thread would be "valid" if all the wonky animations resulted in a 50% contest or some other crazy number. We're talking numbers so damn low against a badged up player that I genuinely don't care. If the user was on HIS game, he had a high probability of hitting the shot.

If the thread was strictly focused on the animations, then it would be whatever. He's talking "unrealistic shot contest". I don't see it, and it's mostly a moot point given how low it was in the first place. The thread needs to be renamed to "Poor PnR animations" or something.

Hypothetically, the technology may not be at a point that allows for the "perfect" animations. Then what? Mike Wang could decide to adjust the shot contest strength where we're back at square one where bums are back to using and dancing behind screens, because it's essentially an open, uncontested shot every time.

F* that. Give me the current system. I don't get this fascination where people think videogames can replicate every single thing that happens in real life. The OP plays mostly offline and has the ability to adjust his experience however he wants it to be. I mainly play against live opponents who will attempt to exploit any advantage that the offense can get, and ESPECIALLY if it doesn't require a high IQ to pull it off.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 09-13-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #69
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
The shot contest system has nothing to do with the unrealistic animations.

Its not constructive suggesting tweaks to the shot contest system when your goal is to get realistic animations….

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Operation Sports

I will say this the two are hand when it comes to how difficulty gets implemented in my eyes. This animation is just a byproduct of 2K implementing difficulty. They put the unrealistic animations to trigger a contest to lower his shot success. Most experienced players felt 2K 21 was easy on high difficulty that was the feedback. This is just added difficulty and some players need this to make the game difficult to them or the game will be easy to them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »