Home

D. Harris = Best Jumpshot type in the game.

This is a discussion on D. Harris = Best Jumpshot type in the game. within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
D. Harris = Best Jumpshot type in the game.

My claim is that D. Harris (Signature shot of Devin Harris PG for the New Jersey Nets) is the best jumpshot type in the game.

Reasons why:

1. Very Quick shot from start to finish.
2. Average/Slightly above average elevation.
3. High release point.
4. Easy to time visually.
5. Moves forward in order to shoot.

Description of shot:

The player takes the ball and raises his hands extended over his head. He elevates up and forward about 2 ft. and slingshots both of his hands forward with a flick of the shooting hand. The release point for the shot is the instant you see his hands over his head.

Empirical Evidence in support of claim:

Last year I drafted an SF (3pt rating 81 through the entire season and still unchanged) who had some funky jumpshot that I didn't like. Over the course of the season I tried 3 different jumpshots Reddick, Redd, (and one other I can't remember) each for 20 games. After shooting ~ 200 3s he was 28.4%. Then I changed to D. Harris. He finished the season at 32.4 (finished 85 of 260).

Currently (again his 3pt rating has remained unchanged he's) 68 of 151. THAT'S 45% FOR SOMEONE WITH A 3PT RATING OF 81!

The most important part is that the player moves forward during the shooting motion. This actually makes a difference. Just now in a blowout game I was a couple feet beyond the 3pt arc which gave me one bar for shooting. I tried to take a shot, by the time the motion was finished I had 3 bars. Meaning that the shot distance is calculated based upon when the ball was released not where the shot was started. I believe this is why my guy's shooting % is so insane. The game doesn't think I'm taking 3s, it thinks I'm taking long 2s!

Added Bonuses:

It makes the Step over-> dribble -> jumper damned near unstoppable.

Because the jumpshot startup timing for this game is so slow sometimes defenders get an extra split second to catch up to your guy and contest your shot while you're elevating... Not now. Because the shot is so damned quick, and travels forward, defenders that are off to one side of you end up practically behind you by the time your shot is off. Basically any time you take a shot with someone on your shoulders it will end up being wide open.

Lastly in the off chance that the shot is actually blocked it has the fouled-in-the-act Reggie Miller factor. Again because the shot travels forward you'll end up creating contact. So sometimes even if your shot is stuffed the game will call a foul because of this.

So that's my claim. D. Harris is the best jumpshot type in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: D. Harris = Best Jumpshot type in the game.

Very well done and thorough. I never realized how much the jumpshot effects user %.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

There is definitely a connection between shot type and user %. For instance Joe Johnson is great in the game but i played and entire association year with him and the hawks and he finished the season at 31% shooting. I figured it was his shot so i chaged it to quick launch and played a quick game and went 17-22 shooting. so yea.
great post tho man very informative
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Rookie

Neat observations. I think Brandon Roy has a similar shot type, but it's a less exaggerated motion.

The thing is though, I really don't see how the Harris sig shot resembles his real life shot much at all >.>, and I actually hate how the shot hops forward.

Guess it's great for %s though.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Very well done and thorough. I never realized how much the jumpshot effects user %.
I believe this is a special case because of the forward motion. It's the only shot in the game that I know of with this property.

This shot aside I believe if left completely open from identical distances the jumpshot type wont matter. What does end up making a difference is how quickly the shot gets off. This is why J.R. Smith is such a badass. His jumper is super quick so contesting it is very difficult. In identical game situations with someone who has identical shooting ratings I believe that J.R. Would outperform them because the ball is out of his hands before most other players.

Quote:
Neat observations. I think Brandon Roy has a similar shot type, but it's a less exaggerated motion.

The thing is though, I really don't see how the Harris sig shot resembles his real life shot much at all >.>, and I actually hate how the shot hops forward.

Guess it's great for %s though.
Yeah B. Roy is very similar, but I belive it's slower, it definitely doesn't propell the player forward, and I don't believe he gets as high off of the ground.

What I'd really like to know is if jumpshot elevation plays a factor. The problem is that this is simply impossible to test.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

Yeah, his jumpshot is so easy to use. I have him in an online league, and score about 12-14 points outside of the paint and I'm shooting 54%. One dribble pull-up is unstoppable.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
stewaat

OVR:

Without question there are shots that have a larger margin for error when shooting. I just drafted Devin Harris in a fantasy draft online league and in practice I found his shot to be pretty effective. The first thing I noticed was how far forward he jumped on each shot.

Here's a tip for everyone
The correct time of the release is tied in with their pump fake.

Michael Redd
Try and pump fake with him. It will almost be non-existent because he has a very quick release in the game. I believe that you need to release the shot shortly after the pump fake animation would have occurred.

Hopefully that made sense.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Nate Robinson's shot goes forward too IIRC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »