Home

My Player Progression Strategy

This is a discussion on My Player Progression Strategy within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #305
Money Makin' Sonny

Ice Cream Truck's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: My Player Progression Strategy

I just figured out you can call defensive plays by opening the playcall menu before you go on defense and leave it open. It'll change to defensive plays.

or was that already obvious lol...

Philadelphia Eagles

Phoenix Suns

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #306
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurstones
I only started watching NBA this season (2 days ago lol) so I don't really know many of the players in the league apart from superstars (haven't even chosen a team to support yet).

I've got about 20 games left of my season with my scoring SG and I was wondering what a good team for me to join at the end of the season would be (I mean a team with very strong/superstar forwards and centre who need a guard). I'm currently with the Sixers (who were bottom of the league in my game when they called me up) and would like to join a team with better playoff prospects.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out or give advice
As a 2 I would say houston is pretty good. Tmac is kinda aging and with all the injuries he is really more of a 6th man type player now and with yao being such a beast and good young talent in brooks and ariza you have a pretty bright outlook. New orleans has some problems at the 2 and 3 spots where you could really step in and with paul, west, and emeka you would have a lot of talent around you. Cleveland doesn't have a top notch 2 and you could do alright there more than likely.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #307
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobz
hi guys.. i'm new here and i just want to share my experience with my player. I really dig this feature as I really love RPGs, and was really happy that it arrived in basketball. I would like to hear your thought on it and maybe get some useful advices.

i'm almost through my 1st NBA season with just about 53 games completed (38 of those are NBA games). i've accumulated 74k-ish SPs with an overall of 61 with my 6'3" 3pter SG.

okay, first-off, i think getting into NBA right off-the-bat is a mistake (which i did unknowingly) because playing against characters (NBA vs NBDL players) with higher stats than yours is difficult. Not to mention especially when you are an SG because you'll be pitted against the greatest scorers in the game (kobe, wade. etc) and getting that A+ would really be a PITA as they can easily score on you which means flashes of reds for your team grade. so staying in NBDL until you're comfortable with your stats is the way-to-go i think.

second, imo, winning games isn't much important in the early parts of your career. point of the game is to build your character by getting his stats up to par with the superstars of NBA. and sadly, winning games alone won't contribute much to that. I would gladly accept a loss with a grade of A+ than a win with C+ or even B just because i get higher SPs per game this way.

so what gets us A+s during games? (i'm sorry if I missed some)
-Good Pass [Off/Def]
-Good Positioning [O/D]
-On and Off Ball Screening[O/D]
-Rebounds [O/D]
-Boxing out during rebounds [O/D]
-Good Shot Selection [O]
-Steals [O]
-Assists [O]
-2/2 Free Throws
-Fast Break [O]
-Post Move [O]
-Slam Dunks [O]
-Blocks [D]
-Good Shot Defense [D]
-Draw Foul [O]

plus a few more that i think really bumps up your character's ratings quite a lot than the ones above
-Alley-Ooops [O]
-Steals/Block leading to Scores [O]
-And One Plays [O]
-Spins/Crossovers leading to Scores [O]

**drawing fouls seem to bump the ratings quite fast as they often compound the + ratings in a single possesion like draw foul + 2/2 free throw or an and-1 oppurtunity

..then here are the bad ones (i forgot some i think)
-Bad Shot Selection [O]
-Bad Positioning [O]
-Allow Offensive rebounds for your matchups [D]
-Allow Man to Score [D]
-Turnover [O/D]
-Fouls [O/D]

at this point, it would seem that a physical, athletic (dunker or post-player) would make it easier to get A+s because every dunk is +, post moves are a +, they can rebound, they can play def, and they draw more fouls than Jump Shooters. that's just a theory though as i haven't yet tried playing an athletic/dunker type of player.

i would just like to point out that scoring per-se won't get you + ratings, not even 3s. you can score like 10/20 pts (5-mins) and still get C or B. so as a 3pt spec SG, i get +ratings mainly from assists, good passes, rebounds and good shot selection. and later on i bumped up my steal ratings to get more +ratings from it and fast break points.

so there, most of the time I don't really play to win but to get A- to A+ ratings. I do mostly assists, pass up on open team mates (even if they can't convert it), and shoot only open J's or layups just to get that grade box flashing green.

I said earlier that i really regret being recruited into NBA early, but maybe i got lucky 'coz i got teamed up with Yao. So most passes I do to him results into assists, sometimes good pass+assist. and i think it's widely known that scoring in the paint is really easy in 2k10 so that's also a plus for my assist schemes. hehe

hope that helps. thanks. :P
The A+ is probably the most important thing I will agree. It is worth 1000 points with the teammate grade goal. The win is still pretty nice though as it is a 200 point swing, 100 for the win and avoiding -100 for the loss. The goals are alright too being up to 200 points but some are just unreasonable like hold your matchup to 2 points when you come off the bench and are guarding bron for most of your 34 minutes.

The performance points and highlight reel points are the real variable though. With a shorter player picking up 400 or even 500 performance points isn't too unreasonable. I have even had 600 a couple times. Also, any dunk, ally oop(passing or finishing), and-one, score or assist off of a dribble move, or steal or dunk leading to a basket are worth an extra 10 points. I have had as many as 4 just on one play making a free 40 points. These are what really seperates those who progress at an average rate and those who really skyrocket from what I can see.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #308
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando715
I don't know. Somehow I managed to not get cut from training camp (Face-up PF with the Grizzlies). I played pretty well though, but I was expecting to get cut since the team already had 3 PF's. But so far I've played about 3 games in the NBA and seem to get a lot of skill points for only playing about 10 minutes. I'm averaging a B+ team grade and getting anywhere from 1300 to 1500 skill points every game. So, maybe early on the ratio of skill points per good thing you do is higher when your minutes are low?
The main thing that I see changing how many points you receive is player height. The shorter a player is for his position the more points he will get for each point, rebound, assist, etc that you get.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #309
Rookie

OVR: 6

Alright im 30 games into my season and my team and player are great. What im wondering is when the season is over do I get to pick a new team? I got drafted by the Kings and well they kind of suck. I have Kevin Martin and then I have to make bad front court players look good. Tyreke Evans probably could be good with a lil help but he just constantly takes crappy shots...I honestly was hoping I could join the 76ers I like the way there team looks. Iggy, Thad, Brand, Dalembert, and I could beat both of their points out but do you get the option to leave your team?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #310
MVP

yep, after the season you can choose your new team. I am playing for the kings too. For some reason they thought drafting another SG would be a good idea so I am a SG who only plays SF and now I am actually playing some PF as well seeing what everyone was talking about there. Thankfully I am a 6'7" SG so I am not as undersized as some and can hold my own a little. Still get dominated sometimes like when they had me guarding al jefferson but I can handle some time at the 4. Also, once nocioni comes back off of injury I will play mostly the 3 again as he moves over to the 4.

There are rumors circulating about us picking up oden so hopefully we will drop evans or martin and pick him up. Thompson actually has been playing well at the 4 and nocioni is alright at the 3 although when his game is off he still shoots to many bad shots. We traded off udrih for bendan heywood which is nice cause that is less guards on the roster so even though bendan isn't as good overall it improved the team. If I could choose I would say drop martin cause tyreke's second position is the point so they may allow him to start there with me at the 2, nocioni at the 3, and thompson at the 4.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #311
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
yep, after the season you can choose your new team. I am playing for the kings too. For some reason they thought drafting another SG would be a good idea so I am a SG who only plays SF and now I am actually playing some PF as well seeing what everyone was talking about there. Thankfully I am a 6'7" SG so I am not as undersized as some and can hold my own a little. Still get dominated sometimes like when they had me guarding al jefferson but I can handle some time at the 4. Also, once nocioni comes back off of injury I will play mostly the 3 again as he moves over to the 4.

There are rumors circulating about us picking up oden so hopefully we will drop evans or martin and pick him up. Thompson actually has been playing well at the 4 and nocioni is alright at the 3 although when his game is off he still shoots to many bad shots. We traded off udrih for bendan heywood which is nice cause that is less guards on the roster so even though bendan isn't as good overall it improved the team. If I could choose I would say drop martin cause tyreke's second position is the point so they may allow him to start there with me at the 2, nocioni at the 3, and thompson at the 4.
Yeh Thompson does play well and I do like him but I really dont wanna play for Sacramento lol...The Kings only real problem is they are horrible rebounders I can outrebound bad teams but if I play the lakers I need to put up like 45pts just to stay with them cause bynum and gasol hammer me on the o glass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #312
MVP

Yeah, they are a tough team to play for. I think I will have to become the next jordan to even have a chance of doing anything with them. Also, I have taken a progression strategy that really slows how good my player becomes right away keeping him from dominating right away. I am kinda hoping we will miss the playoffs and pick up a decent big man in the draft. I think hawes is good enough off the bench but we need a quality starter and possibly some depth at the 4. If we trade for oden though and draft a decent 4 to back up thompson too that could make this a tough team.

Currently for progression I have split it up into 5 categories, each of the 4 (offense, defense, physical, and mental) and then I choose 2 related ratings in an area I want to boost, currently doing layup and shoot in traffic and use that as the 5th group. I then start at one and add 5 points to the cheapest rating in that group then go to the next group. This way I have to throw points into areas like free throw, post offense, standing dunk, strength, etc and don't get any points right away for big things like speed, shooting, etc so it really keeps me from turning into a star right away.

Also, playing 10 minute quarters on HOF and really struggling against some of these stars around the league. Melo lit me up a couple times already, I was matchup up against josh smith for a while and he killed me, dwade during the couple minutes I guarded him he ran circles around me, bron just crushed me when we played cleveland. Howard just killed our entire team grabbing 25 boards both times we played them but the last game against them in orlado I scored 44 and had 18 in the 4th and we pulled off a win. We actually won 5 of 6 in a 6 game east coast road trip so I think we may be able to make the playoffs, we will see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »