Home

Will You Use Real Player % Or Shot Stick Timing?

This is a discussion on Will You Use Real Player % Or Shot Stick Timing? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: Will You Use Real Player %?
Yes for both free throws and jump shots. 231 46.20%
Yes, but for free throws only. 141 28.20%
Yes, but for jump shots only. 17 3.40%
No I will not use it at all. 111 22.20%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Will You Use Real Player % Or Shot Stick Timing?

Can someone quickly clarify something for me, even though I'm assuming nobody knows for sure: If you were to use shot stick timing and got perfect release every single time, you would shoot a higher percentage than using RP% right? Thus RP% makes the game more difficult, correct?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #98
Banned

OVR: 10

Aren't the players' ability to make shots tied to their ratings? Even if you go the shot stick timing route shouldn't you still get a realistic result if thats the case?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #99
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick muse
Can someone quickly clarify something for me, even though I'm assuming nobody knows for sure: If you were to use shot stick timing and got perfect release every single time, you would shoot a higher percentage than using RP% right? Thus RP% makes the game more difficult, correct?
You eliminate the risk/reward factor. This is my understanding after JSapida posted how it works.

So yes you shoot higher if you are "perfect" and lower if you get "bad release".

However in my experience "perfect" meant anything but that! I could go into practice with Melo and get perfect everytime and the shots would not fall. Only FT's worked with the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
Aren't the players' ability to make shots tied to their ratings? Even if you go the shot stick timing route shouldn't you still get a realistic result if thats the case?
Correct. A perfect release does not mean it's going in. If you ask me it should be that way. The FT mechanism uses a perfect release as a guaranteed make.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'll absolutely use Real FG%, and I'm thrilled it made the game. I play Association. That's it. I don't play online and I don't really mess with My Player after the first week or so. I enjoy building up a franchise, improving players and putting in the time to construct a team that plays how I want it to play. I don't want to hit 60% of my threes with Stephen Curry because it's year four of my Association and I can get a perfect release on his shot while walking to the kitchen get a glass of water. I enjoy running sets, playing sim and getting players to the spots on the floor they can be successful from. The user input for me comes outside of the 5-on-5 via team building and before the shot with positioning and good playcalling/execution.

The only reservation I have is that variance is handled properly. There will be times when guys go 7/8 from three and times when they go 0/8, and I hope that's reflected well.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #101
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm conflicted. On one hand I like being able to hang in the air late with a player or shoot early with a heady player without having a major penalty, on the other hand I like having some control over a make or miss. Then a mutant third hand sprouts out and says use real shot percentages because you like realism. I wish we could just be penalized a little for shooting early or late.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #102
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16

Many thanks to 2K for adding Real Player % for jump shots! This will add a lot of extra months of playtime to the game for me! I played as the Magic in my Association in 2k10, and couldn't even make the playoffs as I really have problems with my shot stick timing.

It always ends up with me having the timing down with one player, for instance Carter, and then trying to figure out the timing for Lewis...eventually getting it down, and then Carter's timing is all messed up again.

Really looking forward playing with this feature! I will only use Real Player % for jump shots though, as I like the extra bit of concentration needed for free throws...it add's a lot of tension
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #103
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltThizzney
then why don't you adjust your sliders? Why do you want the computer controlling the game for you? Makes no damn sense. It is just like COD players who use Auto Aim.
It makes perfect sense to me. Enjoy the shot stick. No one here is telling you not to enjoy your option. Not sure why the people that want their option are being criticized. Let us play how we want to play - especially if we're playing offline.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltThizzney
Yes it does what are you talking about.

This is for players with NO skill. If shooting is to easy with shaq for you then change your dam sliders.

Why the hell do you want the computer playing this game for you. Why even run plays when you can just bring the ball up with kobe and Jack a jumper and hit it almost 50% of the time no matter what D is being played.

Why play this game on pretty much "auto pilot". You mind as well do coaches mode or simulate every game because that is pretty much what you are doing. These results are beyond me. You are all the same losers who can't learn how to shoot a FT so you have to put on real world %. I want to be in control not some computer calculating if it should go in or not.

If they put this on ranked Online Hell I might have to switch to elite god forbid

Also I agree that Elite's shooting controls are light years better than 2k's.
I love how you seem to think that this is such a poorly thought out idea. That you seem to think that every shot that Kobe takes will have the same % chance of going in. I highly doubt that taking 20 closely contested long jumpers is going to result in 50% fg shooting and taking 20 open layups is also going to result in 50% fg shooting.

I'm sure it still rewards people for swinging the ball around and finding the open shot. There is basketball on the level of an individual player and then there is basketball on the level of a 5 man unit. This does nothing to change the latter. So I really don't see how it's playing the game on "autopilot." The shotstick is STILL based on real fg% and ratings, so you're going to be on autopilot regardless. If it wasn't, then there is no reason to even have ratings in this game. I have bricked a ton of shots where I had perfect release and made plenty of shots when I had poor releases. It's not as if you are in full control of anything either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »