Home

Bumping and canimations

This is a discussion on Bumping and canimations within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #33
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Bumping and canimations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnus03
2 things that struck me from most1ed's bobby knight vid.

1. How easy it is for a ballhandler at full speed to blow by a stationary defender.(something i haven't been able to do once yet on the fastbreak and if anyone has any tips im all ears)

2. How important help Defense is.

For the likes of me i can't figure out why the bump is necessary to stop dunkfests.

Instead of the magic warp bump from good defenders why not increase rubs as well as there effectiveness.

And i don't mean a drawn out canimation. What i mean is make a player who is side by side with you do what that does in real life: Widens your desired angle, belabors and slows down your movement, and limits your options.

What im talking about is if you have only somewhat beat your defender let the cpu ride your hip. Passing into the side where the defenders riding you should be more labored and dangerous while passing away from the defender would be relatively easy. And to not make it a canimation let the user pull away from the defender if he chooses. This would increase the Help D's effectiveness.

The more the user pushes into the defender the more labored his movement becomes and the more he pulls away the more freedom he gets. Hopefully this would have the sort of push an pull the real life scenario gives.

On ball defense against good ball handlers is very rarely about shutting down your man and is more often about limiting your mans options and forcing a less then desirable angle.

The user with the dribble should never be without some sort of control, and if an animation is necessary, at least let him pull out and adjust. Even if that means there is only one direction(away from the basket) to do so.

NBA 2k11 is my favorite game of all time and i don't like dunkfests but im not satisfied with the fix yet, and i don't think we should be, cause as good as the game is new editions can and should be better.
This ^

Once you're in a guys hip pocket on D, you have done one of two things. You either succeeded in forcing him to a less than ideal spot, forcing him to try and get away, pass(possibly badly), drive (badly - no foul call since he is just looking for one) or shoot a less than average shot. Or, you over commited and he breaks you down and leaves you behind. Either way, his help D are in an excellent spot and effectively, they as a team played good defense. People score in the NBA all the time. Good D or bad D, or no D...people score.

The Suns in recent years have had pretty bad D, and the Lakers have had pretty good D. When the teams met up the Suns still scored. Yet the Lakers didn't score that much more. Funny how that works. This isn't football, so the animations and the principals should not be a part of it.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
Once you're in a guys hip pocket on D, you have done one of two things. You either succeeded in forcing him to a less than ideal spot, forcing him to try and get away, pass(possibly badly), drive (badly - no foul call since he is just looking for one) or shoot a less than average shot. Or, you over commited and he breaks you down and leaves you behind. Either way, his help D are in an excellent spot and effectively, they as a team played good defense. People score in the NBA all the time.
Agree completely
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappoint
I know you weren't, I was just addressing the comments you made. I'm not having any issues, I just find it highly insulting when people pretend like legitimate problems with the game are just in our imaginations and everything is absolutely perfect so we should all just learn to deal with it.
Are you on the PS3 or 360? im on the 360 and i get shreaded by good ball handlers on the regular. and once i learned how, i can realistcly create space and get to the paint with good ball handlers. try using the LS crossovers and wrap around dribbles (no triggers). Get the defender going one direction then crossover. once you cross dont angle directly to the hoop. take a wide angle away from the defender. hope that helps some, id hate to be missing out on this awsome game so i hope you find some slidders you like. and far as you being able to bump the cpu ball handlers........hmmm i dont know wade, lebron, nash, parker, and quite a few others have all shreaded my D to peices....i just hope they dont screw the game up trying to apease everyone. good luck though

Last edited by TeeDogg; 10-19-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 10

Good thread. But this is probably an issue that devs aren't capable of addressing otherwise you probably wouldn't see these kinds of animations as ingratiated in the game's identity as they are.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #37
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

check out the tips thread fellas....
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
Good thread. But this is probably an issue that devs aren't capable of addressing otherwise you probably wouldn't see these kinds of animations as ingratiated in the game's identity as they are.
Very true...but...if in a future game they by some stroke of genius figured out a way to replace the canimations and bumping with something more intuitively basketball.

Well, id be way happier than i probably should be.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #39
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
I think they can. With one 'roster update' they changed how the games plays dramatically up to and including physical contact and the sliders that affect it in game. I don't want to wait a year in hopes that next year it will be fixed, because unless it gets their attention, it may not be.

Again, I am not asking to remove it (since a lot of people like it) I am just asking for it to be fixed via sliders, removal of certain animations, addition of new ones, etc. At least make it so that I have to press a button to make my controlled player to do it to the cpu. Or fix help D and get rid of it, but that's me being selfish.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
It's not about my skills on the perimeter with the ball. I don't wanna spam iso's like a Rutger's game. That's not realism. A simple cross or a triple threat release beats guys all the time. It's where they go after that is what matters.
I agree

Like this
http://community.2ksports.com/commun...ediaid=2904390

Quote:
Tired of all the defender bumping? Try some quick hitter moves….no turbo, no L stick….just switch to the opposite hand with momenteum and this can throw your defender off a great deal….if they anticipate it, just throw it right back to the other hand. And youll have them off balance. You actually get that “defender riding you” sequence a lot more without holding turbo down.

So thats not working for you?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »