Home

NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From 2K Sports Team Up (vannwolfhawk)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From 2K Sports Team Up (vannwolfhawk) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From 2K Sports Team Up (vannwolfhawk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Incredible write-up.

My favorite addition might be the players able to get hot. It's been missing in bball games since forever.

Question:
Did you see any issues with rebounding. Guys jumping straight up and bending their arms toward the ball instead of having their entire body jump towards the ball for rebounds? I've seen it in several videos and hoping to get an answer on it if any of you there noticed it as well.
thats been in the last 6 2k bball games bro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Just one thing I wanted to address

This is fine if you are playing single player, but in a User vs User game your suggestion would be problematic. In this scenario, the double teamer's biggest weakness is he's turning his back to the man he's supposed to be guarding. In real life, that guy would be free to get open without his defender knowning. That doesn't hold when playing user vs user because both players can see the entire court. This is one of those cases where "don't play video games, play basketball" philosophy doesn't hold. So there needs to be some leeway for post players when playing against other humans. This is even more problematic if the offense player who's not being guarded is just standing in one place (from your read and shady's, it sounds like this might've been addressed).
That is great part that I noticed is AI not only for CPU but the users AI as well would relocate or cut. So, if you defend or double the post and the player relocates and the ball gets kicked out your in trouble. In the past where you pass the ball and player stays in same spot your theory is unfair. Now that being said another key point is without all the player sliding and some momentum in their player weight on cuts and recoveries is to slow to play both guys in 2k13! that is a good thing and that is kind of what I meant by defenders speed needs to be sped up a bit, but not to much. If you guard or double a post as of now you can not recover to guard against the pass back out IMO. I think offense speed is good, defense just needs to be tweaked SLIGHTLY! In 2k13 this would work because of the new changes. 2k12, no. Does that make sense?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Great stuff! I might add this man had an entire book full of notes - was very happy as he was able to sit down with Rob Jones, personally, and get through his notes.
Best part of the day for me hands down! Besides of course our time spent together that is. LOL :-) I won't lie I was a bit concerned I wasn't gonna get all my stuff out there! HAHA!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

This could be nit picking, but how did you find the AI adjusting to different defensive situations during the game. Did you noticed any counter tactics from the AI on screen settings (go under, over, switch), individual defensive intensity or different defensive matchups?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
That is great part that I noticed is AI not only for CPU but the users AI as well would relocate or cut. So, if you defend or double the post and the player relocates and the ball gets kicked out your in trouble. In the past where you pass the ball and player stays in same spot your theory is unfair. Now that being said another key point is without all the player sliding and some momentum in their player weight on cuts and recoveries is to slow to play both guys in 2k13! that is a good thing and that is kind of what I meant by defenders speed needs to be sped up a bit, but not to much. If you guard or double a post as of now you can not recover to guard against the pass back out IMO. I think offense speed is good, defense just needs to be tweaked SLIGHTLY! In 2k13 this would work because of the new changes. 2k12, no. Does that make sense?
on a hard double they shouldn't be able to recover to close out well. A gifted athlete maybe, but they should typically give up the clear shot with a desperation close out or close short in hopes of a hesitant shooter.

in your experience did the next perimeter defender rotate over as he should in those situations opening up opportunities to swing the ball as rotations chase?

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 08-17-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
This could be nit picking, but how did you find the AI adjusting to different defensive situations during the game. Did you noticed any counter tactics from the AI on screen settings (go under, over, switch), individual defensive intensity or different defensive matchups?
This was talked about that it is in the final build. They didn't have plays and there was no down screens off ball in our build we played, but it was discussed and confirmed that it is in. Did I notice it in gameplay from the build I had, no.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
on a hard double they shouldn't be able to recover to close out well. A gifted athlete maybe, but they should typically give up the clear shot with a desperation close out or close short in hopes of a hesitant shooter.

in your experience did the next perimeter defender rotate over as he should im those situations opening up opportunities to swing the ball as rotations chase?
It should be possible to at least contest a shot though for certain defenders. Obviously some should have better agility or defensive abilities than others to recover. I am thinking more along the lines of playing cat and mouse with doubling the post or not and swiping at the ball. If I swipe at the ball and it is kicked out while I'm swiping that should be a wide open look no doubt. It has to be a risk/reward aspect. If its a hard double as opposed to a soft double then the nearest and closest defender should be ready to rotate on a kick out and thats when you would see the ball being swung around the perimeter and get that open 3 look in the opposite corner ala San Antonio Spurs! That is what I want to see in the game! 1 of the devs had said they wanted some time to make post moves though so its a balancing issue. I don't want to see a guy skating back and forth between the 2 players unrealistically thats not what I mean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Great writeup Vann. They appeared to address almost everything from a gameplay standpoint. This game is shaping up to be the best basketball sim to date. Can't wait to get my hands on the demo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »