Home

whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console?

This is a discussion on whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console? within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbalmer
Can you give me a run down of your computer parts..Motherboard, RAM, specific graphics card, PSU, case, processor, what kind of cooling you are running, hard drive, etc. etc.
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit, HP tower
Intel Dual-Core 2.7Ghz
5GB RAM
Nvidia 560 Ti graphics card 1GB(just bought, previously was terrible GMA X4500 integrated gfx)
600W PSU (also just bought, to accommodate the 560)
750 GB hard drive, 1TB external drive

This is connected to a 55' Samsung LCD, 1080p native via HDMI.

Appreciate your input, completely new to PC building.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #58
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

NBA 2K using SLI? For what? NBA 2K has always been an unoptimized CPU-heavy game, maxing out my E6750 dual-core while using just 30% of my GTX 460. So an SLI won't do you any good.

NBA 2K12 supposedly has it sweet spot for 60FPS on high on any decent dual-core with at least 3GHz and a decent graphics card.

Going for SLI right now would be overkill. Do not upgrade before your computer isn't playing games well enough, do not rush into buying things. Maybe by the time you actually come across trouble with framerate, you'd be better off buying a better single card than putting a second one of the same in SLI.

As Mbalmer said, not all games support or take much advantage of SLI, just like not all games are optimized to take advantage of all your CPU cores.

My opinion is wait until you play a few games, see how satisfied you are with the graphics and performance, and only if you have issues should you consider throwing more money onto your rig. Until then, have some fun with what you have. Don't get greedy, or you might regret it down the line.

Since we're talking NBA 2K, long story short, a good CPU is much more important for it than any graphics card set-up. As long as you're on a Core2Duo @3GHz or anything better than that (like a Quad Core or an i3/5/7), you should be fine with much worse graphics cards than the 560 that you got. The 560 will be utilized in other games, so you should get your money's worth if you start building a PC game collection, but I doubt NBA 2K13 will be any more optimized on the PC than any of its previous iterations.

EDIT: Just saw your reply. The 560Ti is kind of an overkill for your current processor. If it's a Core2Duo and you were more experienced, I'd suggest a safe overclock up to 3, 3.2GHz, but since you're new I highly recommend against that. If it's a Pentium D... then, your graphics card is definitely an overkill. Again, play some games and see what kind of performance you get, you should be fine with GPU-heavy games, but your CPU will end up becoming a bottleneck sooner or later depending on which games you decide to play.

An upgrade to an i3/5 could be in order at some point in the future, but again, don't rush to buy anything before you notice games aren't giving you the graphics/performance trade-off you're satisfied with.
Novato, CA, USA

Last edited by Leftos; 09-30-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #59
Rookie

Oh, just saw your post about the price of the 560Ti. It was $160 on "sale"

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Old 09-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #60
Rookie

appreciate the advice leftos. Man, well I'm glad the girlfriend was with me, she helps to "slow things down" whenever I'm "toy shopping." The kid was talking as if an SLI setup would "automatically offer 2X the performance or better" on ANY game. Wow. And now that I think about it, he actually stated the opposite of what mbalmer advised, SMH, that an SLI setup is better than having even a vastly better single card due to how they will "intelligently share" tasks.

Thanks guys, I'll chill for a minute with this, as it is running 2K extremely smooth on high. But when I do start thinking about further upgrades, I'm coming here first. Much better than the $200/2 yr "tech support" BB tried to sell me, SMH.

And wow, so 2K is that resource-hungry relatively? Are they just being lazy?

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #61
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLIDAY1183
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit, HP tower
Intel Dual-Core 2.7Ghz
5GB RAM
Nvidia 560 Ti graphics card 1GB(just bought, previously was terrible GMA X4500 integrated gfx)
600W PSU (also just bought, to accommodate the 560)
750 GB hard drive, 1TB external drive

This is connected to a 55' Samsung LCD, 1080p native via HDMI.

Appreciate your input, completely new to PC building.

Thanks for posting your components....I'm glad you got the card for 160, that is a good price..EVGA?

Also, with your current set up I wouldn't put anymore money into it until you decide that you want to run with pc gaming instead of (or in addition too) console gaming..Depending on the games you play, you might get away from console gaming all together...that is what has happened with me.

Save your money and start putting it toward a computer fund and then when you get some money put together, build a system with all new parts.

Check out overclock.net and pcpartpicker.com when the time comes to build..I knew nothing and built my first computer about 3 months ago.

This is my build that I did...I love it.

EVGA GTX 670 4gb
Asrock z77 extreme 4
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core overclocked to 4.2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
G. Skill Sniper Series 1866 8gb
Cooler Master HAF 922
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
MIcrosoft Sidewinder X4
Gigabyte M6800
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
XFX Pro 750 XXX Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver
Asus Xonar DG
Samsung Optical Drive
Windows 7

I play on a 46" Samsung LCD TV.

I see you play on a Samsung too, are you using game mode on your tv settings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #62
Rookie

Wow those specs are sweet man! You may be right. I'm definitely gonna end up building something piece by piece, so I'll get that fund started soon enough.

Yeah I do use Game mode. But I hate how many options there are on this set lol. I always find myself tweaking, tinkering and driving myself crazy with all the sliders etc. But yeah I'm really pleased with it.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 0

ok thanks man...i will check it out
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #64
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z9mTPS_E8po

Leftos, just seen this video from you. Question, what rim/net mod were you using to get them to look like that

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »