Home

should an early release result in a short or long shot?

This is a discussion on should an early release result in a short or long shot? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: For shooting, how should early and late releases effect the ball going long or short?
An early release should make the ball go long, and a late release should make the ball go short. 98 70.00%
An early release should make the ball go short, and a late release should make the ball go long. 42 30.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: should an early release result in a short or long shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
This concern boggles me, if you're holding the ball longer you're gaining more power:

Why would it go short? Someone want to provide evidence of this?

By all logic it will go LONG.
When you shoot a half-court shot, do you jump in the air, hold the ball as long as you can, and then let it go just before you hit the ground again? No. You won't have enough power to get it there. I bet you twist your body slightly, drop your hips in order to get more power out of your legs, and then launch the ball as soon as you take off.

Try it yourself. Go out and try to shoot the ball as far as you possibly can. I guarantee you'll be able to shoot it farther if you release it on your way up than on the way down.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 14

I think it's fine the way they have it now, but maybe if they can tweak the animation for bank shots (or do it differently), so the player isn't on his way down when releasing the ball.

I think that's the key...the way the animation plays out, you have to manually use more power for the bank shot but to do so means your player in already on the way down. So it looks a bit funny.

But the quick release equals shorter shot (and long release equals longer shot) makes sense from a video game aspect.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

The problem with the late release is that the animation looked so awkward & bad. If they can fix the animation then I think it won't be an issue in Elite 11. But of course if you release the ball late and you're 15 ft away or more from the basket then most likely it will result into an airball.

Look at 3:12 - 3:30

Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Jennings
What a horrible idea. Hope the poll stays this close so they keep it the way it is. They will need to see a significant amount of votes to change it so i'm glad.

Keep it the way it is and stop trying to mess the game up.
Huh? why is it a horrible idea?

One argument is realistic, the other is based on what other non basketball games have done in the past *cough* track n field *cough*.

At the end of the day holding the stick for too long or too short will result in a miss, but i feel that when you're playing the game, using your basketball IQ and putting yourself inside the game. It loses immersion when something as frequently used as shooting has its mechanics backward.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
When you shoot a half-court shot, do you jump in the air, hold the ball as long as you can, and then let it go just before you hit the ground again? No. You won't have enough power to get it there. I bet you twist your body slightly, drop your hips in order to get more power out of your legs, and then launch the ball as soon as you take off.

Try it yourself. Go out and try to shoot the ball as far as you possibly can. I guarantee you'll be able to shoot it farther if you release it on your way up than on the way down.
i totally agree. if you watch the exclusive shooting fundamentals developer diary when they are shooting half court shots you can see the player hanging to get more power. this just looks ridiculous. also, for bank shots if you did the power meter realistically you wouldn't need a new animation for bank shots since shooting on the way up doesn't look awkward. people who play sim sports games are not casual gamers. the only person that would not understand a realistic power meter would be a very casual player. and if they actually were a casual player and played nba elite they would never do a tutorial so wouldn't notice/give a **** whether the meter was realistic or not.

i didnt really think having a hockey guy leading the team would result in some bad moves, but i think that having the power meter work unrealistically is probably a result of a person that never played basketball seriously. pistol pete will be rolling in his grave if this is not changed. well actually pistol pete won't care because he never played video games. he was shooting on the way up in the gym, because real life is realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomonkey
i totally agree. if you watch the exclusive shooting fundamentals developer diary when they are shooting half court shots you can see the player hanging to get more power. this just looks ridiculous. also, for bank shots if you did the power meter realistically you wouldn't need a new animation for bank shots since shooting on the way up doesn't look awkward. people who play sim sports games are not casual gamers. the only person that would not understand a realistic power meter would be a very casual player. and if they actually were a casual player and played nba elite they would never do a tutorial so wouldn't notice/give a **** whether the meter was realistic or not.

i didnt really think having a hockey guy leading the team would result in some bad moves, but i think that having the power meter work unrealistically is probably a result of a person that never played basketball seriously. pistol pete will be rolling in his grave if this is not changed. well actually pistol pete won't care because he never played video games. he was shooting on the way up in the gym, because real life is realistic.
Does pulling down feel better than pushing the analog up to shoot?

Last edited by mharlem; 07-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomonkey
As of now, the system in NBA elite is that if you release early, the shot will go short, and if you release late, the shot will go long. To me, this is an abomination as far as the fundamentals of basketball go. Reanimator said that if we show a large response stating that early release should go long and late release should go short, they may change the power meter. So everybody please vote because i won't be able to enjoy shooting unless they change it.
I concur. But it's not simply a matter of basketball fundamentals, it's a matter of physics-fundamentals.

My Vote (based on real world physics): "An early release should make the ball go long, and a late release should make the ball go short."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Jennings
What a horrible idea. Hope the poll stays this close so they keep it the way it is. They will need to see a significant amount of votes to change it so i'm glad.

Keep it the way it is and stop trying to mess the game up.
In terms of the laws of "physics," the opening poster's suggestion is on point. Considering NBA Elite is introducing real "physics," mechanics that give proper respect to physics would be appropriate.

Keeping the existing shooting mechanics in play would in a sense defy the laws of physics, and "mess the [physics and simulation elements] up," not the game.

Example to consider: Full Court Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I understand the concern by some of you, however, after playing the game you don't really notice a difference. After you get the timing down, you will release at the apex of the jump 9/10, or should. I would rather the devs concentrate on other aspects of the game, instead of changing something like this.
Transitional adjustment periods will naturally come. The control scheme is completely new to the series, and all Elite gamers are expected to make adjustments.

More importantly, take into account that both the control scheme and real physics are new elements to the series. They will be key game changers. For this reason, the developers' time, effort, and full concentration should go directly into these areas.

As it is, the existing shot mechanic defies the laws of "physics." unless of course this is one area where canned animation still dictates the outcome and "physics" is not part of the equation. If physics truly does not affect the trajectory of ball after release, then the existing system might make sense.

In order to achieve simulation, real world physics must be respected mechanically and visually.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I concur. But it's not simply a matter of basketball fundamentals, it's a matter of physics-fundamentals.

My Vote (based on real world physics): "An early release should make the ball go long, and a late release should make the ball go short."

In terms of the laws of "physics," the opening poster's suggestion is on point. Considering NBA Elite is introducing real "physics," mechanics that give proper respect to physics would be appropriate.

Keeping the existing shooting mechanics in play would in a sense defy the laws of physics, and "mess the [physics and simulation elements] up," not the game.

Transitional adjustment periods will naturally come. The control scheme is completely new to the series, and all Elite gamers are expected to make adjustments.

More importantly, take into account that both the control scheme and real physics are new elements to the series. They will be key game changers. For this reason, the developers' time, effort, and full concentration should go directly into these areas.

As it is, the existing shot mechanic defies the laws of "physics." unless of course this is one area where canned animation still dictates the outcome and "physics" is not part of the equation. If physics truly does not affect the trajectory of ball after release, then the existing system might make sense.

In order to achieve simulation, real world physics must be respected mechanically and visually.

agreed. all this talk about physics and they are throwing physics out of the window for shooting. seems kinda odd. full court shots are a great example and if you watch the developer shooting video you will see players hanging in the air to get more power on the shot. i have never in all my years playing basketball seen a person take an uncontested half court shot and hang in the air. give a person who has never touched a basketball and ask them to chuck a full court shot and they will not hang in the air. does it get more intuitive than that?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »