Home

NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #33
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NBA Elite 11 Gameplay Q&A with Novell Thomas (NLSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
People are really trying to seriously make a case for less sliders/options under any circumstances. This is unbelievable and quite honestly, your example fail on many levels. Firstly, who's to say if there were in fact a speed slider that people would use it to play an archaic brand of basketball that would have them playing the game like NBA Jam? Maybe they'd use it to slow the game down, or try to lower the overall scoring output to get it to THEIR liking; You mentioned simulating real life speed. Now, if I were to lower or heighten the speed setting because its feels more simulation to me, and it is a better representation of real life to me, who are you to tell me that I'd be wrong just because we have a different preference in game speed? I think you should take a look at the Madden forum sometime, and see how many people have a discrepancy in the speed of the game (Normal/Fast/Slow.) And just because someone would mess around with the speed slider that wouldn't necessarily equate to playing "cheese" ball, and even if that were to be the case, what would it be to you if you enjoy the game as is as oppose to someone who would want to play a game like that? You say this game is suppose to be sim (that word in it of itself is unverifiable), but this game's job is also to reach an audience beyond "simulation" players, which is why they have multiple difficulties appealing to different groups. Heck, while we're at it and since I just mentioned it, why not get rid of the easier difficulties, and force people to "learn" to really play the game.

LOL @ this quote below:

Thanks for disproving your whole point of your post, and aiding mine. Don't know why you waited until almost the very end though. There isn't a such thing as a one size fits all pair of shoes. More customization options, the better, PERIOD.
Until we see the list of adjustable sliders and experiment with them, we can't be certain whether it's for better or for worse. Sometimes less is more.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
People are really trying to seriously make a case for less sliders/options under any circumstances. This is unbelievable and quite honestly, your example fail on many levels. Firstly, who's to say if there were in fact a speed slider that people would use it to play an archaic brand of basketball that would have them playing the game like NBA Jam? Maybe they'd use it to slow the game down, or try to lower the overall scoring output to get it to THEIR liking; You mentioned simulating real life speed. Now, if I were to lower or heighten the speed setting because its feels more simulation to me, and it is a better representation of real life to me, who are you to tell me that I'd be wrong just because we have a different preference in game speed? I think you should take a look at the Madden forum sometime, and see how many people have a discrepancy in the speed of the game (Normal/Fast/Slow.) And just because someone would mess around with the speed slider that wouldn't necessarily equate to playing "cheese" ball, and even if that were to be the case, what would it be to you if you enjoy the game as is as oppose to someone who would want to play a game like that? You say this game is suppose to be sim (that word in it of itself is unverifiable), but this game's job is also to reach an audience beyond "simulation" players, which is why they have multiple difficulties appealing to different groups. Heck, while we're at it and since I just mentioned it, why not get rid of the easier difficulties, and force people to "learn" to really play the game.

LOL @ this quote below:

Thanks for disproving your whole point of your post, and aiding mine. Don't know why you waited until almost the very end though. There isn't a such thing as a one size fits all pair of shoes. More customization options, the better, PERIOD.
first off i was never trying to knock all of your points. you made a valid point when you said, if the game aint perfect perhaps there should be sliders. but to what extent is my question.

see i've been playing basketball video games since the first one they came out with. so i have an idea of what i was like presliders. and i'm telling you the one thing i never liked about sliders was that you have people 2ksharing or ealocker rooming darn sliders. or putting them on the net for us to see. guess what. 80% of the people are looking for the most "Realistic/sim worthy" sliders. if thats the case that means 80% of the people would surely like if the game was pre shipped with the correct gameplay from the get go. i dont want to customize something that effects sim ball. when in reality thats what should be happening from the jump.

more sliders= more lazy devs, believe me. they use it as a fall back. they dont have to set everything perfectly or super close because YOu the user will figure it out. or maybe a pastapadre or some 2k guy will figure it out and everyone will use those sliders. those people are not on EA nor 2k payroll. why is it up to them to bring you the most realistic experience. its up to guys like ReAn from EA to do that. thats their job. less sliders=they have to get it right or all hell will break lose since we cant customize it.

see i've been on these boards when live went thru its darkest moments lol. and fanboys(i use to be one but never over the top) would lie to themselves and say "its a great game......Once you fix the......SLIDERS" uhh NO. it should be a great game out the box. once people are giving that ability to make that excuse. thats one more sale EA got that they didnt deserve. one more sale is what keeps mediocrity apart of the product. cause until sales slip, change is hard to come by. even if devs want to do a much better job.

see i'm trying to make sure 2ks and ea's hands are forced. you make a half butt game, with no customization so i can make your crap 4 out of 10(being the best) game a 7 out of 10. then i will realize i need to stop buying this franchize. once i do that, they have to fix it. now do you understand why i'm not a sliders fan?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #35
Supporter

OVR: 22

A lot of you guys really sure know how to implore the usage of selective reading or reading whatever you want to read without understanding the grand scope of what's being said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
I understand what you're saying Epiffani you look at sliders as a customization tool. Which in a lot of cases they are. But I gotta say certain sliders will become useless as the game's mechanics improve or change for example last year the game had a slider for on ball physical defense.

The higher it was the easier it was to for the AI to push up on you and make it harder for you to drive around them. Well now with the new RTP being introduced there's really no need for that slider because now if you want to be more physical you just have to manually get closer to the offensive player.

Its sliders like this I think the devs are taking out because the game's mechanics have changed so now you don't need that artificial help. You can just manually do it yourself.

Things like game speed, rebounding, on ball defense sliders are probably going to stay in because those things can always be something the user may not like. But in cases like the one I stated above I don't see why they should keep it in the game. Especially when the game now has mechanics that can make up for it.
How can you say you understand what I'm saying and then in the very same post, do exactly what everyone else is doing, which is trying to make a case for less customization options in the form of sliders (in a game that has lacked customization options already when compared to other games)? I'm well aware of what "Elite" is touting this year with defense, and giving control to the user. Live 10 was good in this area before the patch as well. The point in the instance you've given is if I or someone else don't like the on-ball defense for ANY reason whether it's too overpowering, not powerful enough (meaning that I find as a user that its too easy for me to get beat by the opponent), or whether it's something that involves the brand of on-ball D the CPU plays, I or someone else, should have options to tweak it to my/their liking (especially since we are talking about a pre-existing slider from last year);

if I'm someone actually wants some assistance from the A.I, then where does that leave them without this slider? As crazy as it sounds, and I'm not in agreement with these people, but I know people who preferred the defense post-patch in Live 10 as they felt it was too easy to break down the defense off the dribble. In fact, that was one of the biggest complaints about Live 10 initially, which was the on-ball defense and how it felt like as a user, you're were on an island. Then they ramped up the on ball D for the patch, and then the invisible walls and force fields start happening at an alarming rate, but the point is, these were two distinct groups of people who had different ideas of how on-ball defense should play out. Now with the introduction of real time physics technology, if the slider were to exist in the upcoming game, that shouldn't mean that if someone messes with that particular slider that more suction would happen, it should mean exactly what the slider says it means, which is an increase of physical and more aggressive play on the ball by a defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Until we see the list of adjustable sliders and experiment with them, we can't be certain whether it's for better or for worse. Sometimes less is more.
This type of mentality (towards something like customization, more options, and control given to the users OFF the court no less) speaks volumes.... If you don't like a multitude, and as many customization options possible, no one would be forcing you to use ANY of the tools. You are free to play the game as is and without any tweaks at all.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you (the post below) after your last post in here involving this topic, but I'll oblige no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpnp
see i've been playing basketball video games since the first one they came out with. so i have an idea of what i was like presliders. and i'm telling you the one thing i never liked about sliders was that you have people 2ksharing or ealocker rooming darn sliders. or putting them on the net for us to see. guess what. 80% of the people are looking for the most "Realistic/sim worthy" sliders. if thats the case that means 80% of the people would surely like if the game was pre shipped with the correct gameplay from the get go. i dont want to customize something that effects sim ball. when in reality thats what should be happening from the jump.
Ok, so what if you've been playing basketball games since their inception, so have I and I've perfectly grasp the idea/aura around sliders, and I know that no one is forcing you to use anything that you don't like. That goes for EA locker, 2k share, Finn's editor or whatever. And again, the word "sim" is quite possibly the most subjective (and overused, but I digress) terminology used in sports video games today. You ask several different people to define what the word "sim" means to them, and you'll get several different answers, and you know why? Because we are all looking for different things in an sports video game that is suppose to represent real life as WE and only WE see and deem them. We may in fact have some similarities as to what we are looking for in a sim product, but have different methods and outlooks on how to get that something accomplished, and that's where the great thing about customization/sliders come into play (as much as I don't like to use them). It allows you in many respects to define what "simulation" means to you, and how a "sim" should play.

Quote:
more sliders= more lazy devs, believe me. they use it as a fall back. they dont have to set everything perfectly or super close because YOu the user will figure it out. or maybe a pastapadre or some 2k guy will figure it out and everyone will use those sliders. those people are not on EA nor 2k payroll. why is it up to them to bring you the most realistic experience. its up to guys like ReAn from EA to do that. thats their job. less sliders=they have to get it right or all hell will break lose since we cant customize it.
Aforementioned already by me, if a developer have such a mentality that more sliders mean that they can become complacent with their OWN product, that's on them and not me. Their the ones that whom are risking their own credibility in the form of low scores from reviewers, and rankings on metacritic, not me. Completely out of my control if a developer has that mindset, and it will potentially do FAR more harm to them than it could ever do to me on bad pub, and word & mouth alone. Chances are, if I consider a game to be garbage, I wouldn't even bother with it, and it will go on the shelf to collect dust, changing my outlook on the series, and have me questioning the people behind the game credibility. Less sliders= potentially less satisfied consumers because "getting it right" is not decided in an collectivist manner.

Quote:
see i've been on these boards when live went thru its darkest moments lol. and fanboys(i use to be one but never over the top) would lie to themselves and say "its a great game......Once you fix the......SLIDERS" uhh NO. it should be a great game out the box. once people are giving that ability to make that excuse. thats one more sale EA got that they didnt deserve. one more sale is what keeps mediocrity apart of the product. cause until sales slip, change is hard to come by. even if devs want to do a much better job.
Are you serious with this? Just reading your posts in here just smells of elitism. I'm not even sure what particular game that you are talking about, but who are/were you to say that people were lying to themselves if they enjoyed a game after THEIR OWN, or SOMEONE ELSES edits? Who are you to dictate whether EA deserved a sell or not if they provided the tools for people to fix the game, so THEY (the people) can enjoy it? I know people here, no matter how good or "sim" the game is on default, that will still edit the game to get it to play even better in their opinion.

Quote:
now do you understand why i'm not a sliders fan?
No I don't understand, and this is coming from someone who try NOT to use sliders. It's truly amazing to me how people can be all for control on the court, but be against it off of it (look at all of the half-cook reasons that people have come up with in this thread to take more control away from the users off the court). Simply befuddling and amazing all at the same time...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #36
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

Wait for the game bro.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #37
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Yep that's all he can do. He's just basically destroyed any argument I've had against him, I know when to quit haha!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »