Home

NBA Live 19 Features New Commentary Duo, Big Moments and More

This is a discussion on NBA Live 19 Features New Commentary Duo, Big Moments and More within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #33
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NBA Live 19 Features New Commentary Duo, Big Moments and More

I just hope that the updated franchise mode includes two things:

Actual competition for free agents.

Nothing is more disappointing in a sports franchise mode than to enter free agency after the season and be able to bid on sign all players without any back-and-forth or competition from the AI teams. Games that do this make it way too easy to shed salary, have cap room, and sign several All-Stars on your way to going from a 20-win has-been team to a 70-win dominant force in one off-season.

Realistic Free Agent demands

Star players can make 30% of the cap (I'm assuming these are younger stars that are not 10-year vets or signing for the super max). I'm not saying every CBA rule needs to be in. I know that stuff can be hard to include, but some basics should be included. There is no reason why Klay Thompson (who will likely be a free agent in the first off-season everyone plays) should be willing to sign for $20 mm / 3 years. It's unrealistic and stupid. Players like Klay should be demanding the max in terms of money and years. Make it realistic and fans will love the battle between picking a guy to bid on and building a team.

When players ask for less than the max (sometimes ridiculously less in all basketball games), it becomes too easy to, once again, have the cap space to sign several stars. I get that someone will argue "It happened for Miami!" Or "Durant signed for cheap to play for the Warriors." Great! Two real-life examples. Meanwhile, Clint Capela is out there waiting for the right deal because he wants to get paid. In Live 18, you can probably give Capela $10 mm for 3 years and he will gladly sign. I don't want that. I want a challenge.

*I remember trying out franchise mode when I first purchased Live 18. I immediately simmed to the end of the season and free agency was way too easy. I turned the Knicks into a powerhouse by having them sign a number of all-stars. There was no competition. I offered the demanded contract (might have even lowered some figures) and suddenly the guy was on my team. Not a single day had passed. Not a single offer was made by the computer AI.

That's when I decided to just focus on exhibition games. I loved Live exhibition. I picked two random teams, played as one, set my quarters to 12 minutes and went to work. I played a lot of games like that in 18. I would like to do the same for a franchise mode, knowing that I need to actually develop my players through the draft or get lucky in free agency instead of not caring because at the end of it all, I can just sign a bunch of 85 overall all-star free agents and still have cap room.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 07-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »