Home

Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread

This is a discussion on Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #425
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
The idea of 5 on 5 is very appealing to me but my last 2 games I played a week ago scared me away. First game my matchup was 2 feet taller than me and I had to endure that for way toolong how 5 vs 5 is.

Second game my matchup was a 89 overall and I was a 74 and my ankles got broke about 15 times. My matchup must have score 30 points. It was brutal. I had to endure that for way too long how 5 vs 5 is set up.
That's the thing. Every time I jumped in there were only 2-3 humans per team. What's the point of 5 v 5 at all if they can't even field a full team.

Honestly things like this make me worry about the games future more than anything. This year is a great year but it's still hard to get any 5 v 5 going. I prefer 3 v 3 but I don't like how it's not really even a good option for me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #426
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Well I’ve put in enough time to say this is my second favourite bball game ever. College hoops 2k8 still has the throne but ya. The nba side of live takes a lot of heat(Rightfully so) but once you accept it for what it is, it’s just a great game. Every game is just insanely fun. The atmosphere is incredible. The ups and downs of every game tell a story. The fact you get superstars taking over games tied with the fact that when I really focus I can shut them down or at least contain them, makes for a super addictive game I want to keep playing. I can play the same team 5 times in a row and get 5 vastly different outcomes.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #427
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1990
This game is the most fun I have had with a videogame in a long long time. I would have to compare it to the NFL 2K days. The presentation obviously is similar due to ESPN, but I was blown away by this new "real player motion." The player motion is so lifelike its ridiculous, and they did a good job of capturing each players little tendencies. I was playing against the Nuggets and Isaiah Thomas was moving,dribbling, and shooting just like his real life counterpart. I didn't expect that much attention being given to I.T. The graphics seemed to have been improved in 5 v 5 after the latest update, because this game looks like a real NBA game with the right tv settings. NBA Live is by no means perfect, but it captures the feel of a real NBA game much better. (Staples Center stadium sounds are scary accurate)

And to be honest I did not even download the NBA 2K demo this year, because that is how sick I am with that same gameplay year after year, which I dont think is very lifelike at all (The player running motion waist down is very unrealistic) and the graphics are cartoonish, Im glad I bought NBA Live 19, no regrets.

But I cant make a free throw on NBA Live 19 to save my life if anyone has any tips? And someone tell Live to fix Mo Wagner and Michael Beasley. They messed them up bigtime haha

“(The player running motion waist down is very unrealistic) and the graphics are cartoonish”

Thank you for confirming my sanity. I keep reading about how realistic it is. It looks hideous to me. I thought it was just me
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #428
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by openureyez
“(The player running motion waist down is very unrealistic) and the graphics are cartoonish”

Thank you for confirming my sanity. I keep reading about how realistic it is. It looks hideous to me. I thought it was just me
also the foot planting is worse in 2k19 than it was in 2k18.

I am in shock
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #429
Rookie

OVR: 7

I posted this in the 2k forum but I'll post this here as well (btw I think it's an absolute travesty that they have 400 viewers right now just at and only 18 here - this game deserves a lot more recognition based on what I'm seeing and it's starting to catch up big time - finally):

"Wasn't sure where to post this, so I guess I'll do it here. I don't want to make this a Live vs 2k debate, I'm trying to assess both games objectively before making a purchase.

This is the first time since 2005 that I haven't bought or played a 2k title (I skipped a few years here and there but I tend to buy it almost every other year. 2k8 and 2k11 to this day are the best pure sim games I've ever played, but I really worry about the state of this game.

2k18 to me was just a major downfall for the franchise in terms of offline AI play (online is just completely plagued by horrible servers to the point that it's unplayable here in Asia).

It's a turbo arcade fest, you have to force yourself to play sim just to play sim, and that's not a good thing.

A lot of times I notice 2k games out of the box are very solid/play absolutely fantastic simulation on both ends, and all of a sudden a patch comes out a few days later and guys are running a hundred miles per hour, scoring a billion threes, can stop on a dime and pop a three after going full turbo speed down court, and your players all just jet down wings while the AI on your team runs routes horribly. You have to force yourself to enjoy playing defense, it seems like more of a chore because it's impossible to stop even an above average offensive player, and the only way to do so is to trigger the drawn out bump animations - which isn't a sign of a good foot planting and lateral movement system (watch Live's defense this year, it's super on point, and even when you get bumped you can still work through the contact and keep going and it doesn't seem like a drawn out animation based on observation, but likewise it's a battle - you can simply cut off the drive and force them to pick up their dribble). Driving in consists of way too much over-help and congestion inside, it doesn't feel like true court spacing - and this dates back to the last few titles post 2k11, it's rather a bi-product of poor AI congestion which opens up the threes.

I'm lurking in the shadows watching gameplay of both Live user vs AI play and likewise for 2k, and I'm extremely impressed with Live right now.. I've never been able to say that before because the game looked like absolute janky floaty noodle-arm flailing garbage the last few years, but this is different.

The court spacing in Live looks awesome, there is way more proper defense and foot planting technology, the triple threat looks really realistic, especially exploding from a stand-still position..

I'm going through threads here just trying to convince myself that 2k has improved in some ways, but I'm watching the gameplay vids and such and it's still just a hundred miles an hour down court arcade-fest, and unfortunately I can't bring myself to see this game the way I did in 2k11..

I would love to hear some of your thoughts (objectively) about why 2k has improved since then.. as I'm sitting here trying to determine which title I'm going to purchase - and I'm having a hard time with what I'm seeing with 2k this year - it looks like at this point they can't overcome certain engine limitations (it looks exactly the same as the past few years - which is not good imo), and Live is ahead for me right now gameplay wise; their ceiling is higher because of their frostbite engine (I only really care about league/franchise mode). I understand Live's features are behind, but I care far more about the simulation/gameplay experience.. I want something that closely mimics the NBA."
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #430
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

If you are trying to convince yourself to buy one, and are impressed with everything you've seen on ther other.

It seems there is a pretty obvious, clear cut choice.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #431
Rookie

OVR: 7

I appreciate your sentiments, and it may seem like an easy solution on the surface, but far from it for me.

Sorry if it seemed redundant posting it twice but I had a reason for doing so not only based on convincing.

On one side I wanted to let 2k people know that it’s not an issue to be a fan of 2k and see what Live is doing, on the other hand I wanted Live guys here to see that they have support outside of a small niche

In recent years there is such polarity and tribalism online that anyone who tries to say one good thing is automatically deemed as being against the group think/collective.

I’m trying to convey objective opinions about what I’m seeing from both sides without making it an us vs them. Likewise, I do want to get genuine opinions about the iteration of both games from both forums without clear bias, and I achieved that over on the 2k forum side as someone just stated they were exactly in the same boat as I was when looking at the two titles this year.

I guess I’m just worried to pull the trigger on Live at its current price because of how bad it’s been for so long, and on the other end I don’t want to spend on the status quo. This isn’t merely a case of I’m impressed therefore I’m buying, money is fortunately not an issue for me, but I’d still like to make an educated decision before venturing out to make a purchase.

Just reading impressions is often not enough because the majority of people don’t post cons, they tend to be fans of the game for the most part, and thus showing people my position might provide me a clearer answer.

Last edited by HeavenlyTouch; 09-18-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #432
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quick change of subject for an impression:

The randoms I ran into last night in 3's reminded me of how fun Live Run can be with the right people. We ran off 10 straight, including 4 straight vs. A group of 94-96 rated guys. We were all mid to low 80's. Playing smart and as a team.

I really, really hope they can patch in 5v5 to 21.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »