Home

Official Orlando Magic thread

This is a discussion on Official Orlando Magic thread within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Official Orlando Magic thread

1-0....

up next @ New Orleans friday night.

Follow me on www.twitter.com/thedrozd
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Official Orlando Magic thread

Best article ive read about the magic since we went up 3-1 on Detroit...

"The ending was fitting for a franchise that is trying to erase all the losing of last season: The Orlando Magic got to celebrate their first victory twice.

They had already beaten the buzzer and the Milwaukee Bucks 93-92 Wednesday night on Steve Francis' driving lay-up and had merrily sprinted to the locker room to celebrate. But it was determined that Francis had been fouled with .02 seconds left. With the mournful Bucks still on the court, the Magic returned to cheers after several minutes. Coach Johnny Davis came back without his suit coat.

Francis hit the rim on purpose with his free-throw attempt to eat up the remaining time, and the Magic once again celebrated in front of 15,138 at TD Waterhouse Centre.

You couldn't blame them for not wanting to come back out to finish the game properly after what the franchise went through last season.

They didn't want to take a chance that this marvelous opening night might somehow be snatched away.

"That's why I told the guys, 'We'll celebrate in here, not out there again,'ƒ|" center Kelvin Cato said. "But, heck, what a great way to get Game 1."

Francis debuted with a game-high 26 points and one-upped Michael Redd's 19-foot bank-ď shot with 3.5 seconds left that gave the Bucks a 92-91 lead.

Aside from some frequent defensive lapses, it couldn't have started much better for the Magic, whomever they are. Few folks really know them after General Manager John Weisbrod imploded a 21-61 eyesore and brought aboard 11 new players.

Fans hadn't seen this Grant Hill in a while. Playing in his first regular-season game in 21 months, he scored 20 points on 10-of-21 shooting. Hill nearly became the storybook hero, hitting a go-ahead jumper with 19.3 seconds left.

Hill was feeling so good on his rebuilt left ankle that he tried a shake-and-bake, no-look pass. "I tried not to get too excited all day because when I get overly excited, I don't play well," said Hill, who has played just 47 games since signing in the summer of 2000. "But that was fun. I really felt good."

Rookie Dwight Howard, 18, resembled the NBA's No. 1 draft pick after shaking butterflies. He finished with 12 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots.

Francis, Cato and Cuttino Mobley were playing their first game since arriving from Houston in the blockbuster trade for Tracy McGrady.

Cato had six points and three blocks and Mobley struggled with his shot but scored 12 points.

Francis took a mild swipe at T-Mac, whose Rockets are 0-2, saying, "I think both teams got what they wanted. If [the Rockets] want guys to walk up the court and shoot fade-away jump shots, they got what they want. If the Magic want a team of players who get up and down the court, then they got what they wanted."

For a dwindling fan base deprived of much hope, patrons saw the Magic crawl back after blowing a 15-point third-quarter lead, showing character traits missing in 2003-04.

The Magic ran, as promised, outscoring the Bucks in fast-break points 34-22. The Bucks rekindled ghastly memories of last season's porous defense, waltzing to the basket for 15 layups and five dunks.

But Orlando buckled down in the third quarter, forcing six turnovers for 10 points. They finished with 10 blocked shots, but allowed the Bucks to creep back, thanks to former Magic center Zaza Pachulia.

Pachulia, exposed in the expansion draft by Orlando last season, scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds.

After making the game-winning layup, Francis paraded around the court, pulling at his jersey to show everybody the team's name. It was to let everyone know that we're back," Francis said.

Said Davis, "Last year is gone."

Old 11-04-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Good start, just about everybody played well. If they can consistently get 12 points, 12 rebounds and 5 blocks out of the Cato/Battie combo at C, they will be in pretty good shape. Howard played well, love the 6-11 from the field, 10 boards and 4 blocks, have to cringe when you see the 0-6 FT shooting though, if he makes half of them then we don't need a buzzer beater to win this game. At least that 0% has to improve though(well I guess it doesn't HAVE to, but it can't get any worse). Grant Hill scored, but that's not a line you would have seen from him in his Detriot days. 20 points on 21 shots, ZERO trips to the FT line, only 4 boards and 2 assists? This was the guy who was a 20-9-7 guy in his prime, a triple double thret every night. I know it's the first game, it's great to see him back on the floor, I just hope the rest of his game comes together over the next few weeks/months, I think they would rather see 15-7-5 from him then 20-4-2.

This only really bad thing was bench play, 17 total points from the bench will kill them most nights. Nice to see Garrity play though, and you gotta hope Turk will have better nights.

Good start, hopefully they don't have to wait 19 games to get their next W.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

they looked really good.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

Last edited by RoyalBoyle78; 11-04-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Oh GAWD!!!!!

That Franchise dunk was nasty. Just filthy. If Hill can stay healthy, this team should make the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBucsWsoxFan

x2

Old 11-05-2004, 10:28 PM   #7
MVP

uh oh break em up.....2 in a row...

more wins thru 2 games this year than thru 20 last season.

Tmac who?

Old 11-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

lol franchise 7 turnovers, enjoy him he will cost you more games than he will win you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »