Home

***Official Detroit Pistons Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official Detroit Pistons Thread*** within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #1521
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: ***Official Detroit Pistons Thread***

Need a bench and a scoring 3 and D SF

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #1522
All Star

OVR: 13

Gores has made it clear he isn't interested in tanking or any kind of "process", so....I suppose that gives us some roadmap of where this franchise is headed (spoiler alert: nowhere).

Given the Pistons' well-documented financial handicaps, what is the best path forward for the team?

My opinion is that the next 2 years are dead-seasons any way you look at it, and given that Gores wants to try to win, we're probably looking at another 2 years of flirting with the 8-seed vs lottery in the last weeks of the season for the foreseeable future. I think we would do well to not sign any long-term or big-money free agents, try out a lot of younger players over the course of the seasons, and figure out who might be a keeper and who we should move on from before cutting everyone but a small handful loose as soon as their contracts (or the trade market) allows. We can still appear to be trying to win while doing all of the above, although we're effectively playing ourselves out of any chance at a top-5 pick due to Gores' inane mandate to try to win.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #1523
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Gores has made it clear he isn't interested in tanking or any kind of "process", so....I suppose that gives us some roadmap of where this franchise is headed (spoiler alert: nowhere).

Given the Pistons' well-documented financial handicaps, what is the best path forward for the team?

My opinion is that the next 2 years are dead-seasons any way you look at it, and given that Gores wants to try to win, we're probably looking at another 2 years of flirting with the 8-seed vs lottery in the last weeks of the season for the foreseeable future. I think we would do well to not sign any long-term or big-money free agents, try out a lot of younger players over the course of the seasons, and figure out who might be a keeper and who we should move on from before cutting everyone but a small handful loose as soon as their contracts (or the trade market) allows. We can still appear to be trying to win while doing all of the above, although we're effectively playing ourselves out of any chance at a top-5 pick due to Gores' inane mandate to try to win.

He did say he’s willing to go over the cap. I’ll be interested to see what’s going on the next couple years I don’t want tothe team to tank. They have sucked for so long and the smell the playoffs makes me happy

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #1524
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Need a bench and a scoring 3 and D SF
Could also use an upgrade over Reggie.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #1525
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
He did say he’s willing to go over the cap. I’ll be interested to see what’s going on the next couple years I don’t want tothe team to tank. They have sucked for so long and the smell the playoffs makes me happy
I think my issue here is that going over the cap (which we may be doing this year) is stupid because paying over the league maximum payroll for 41-41 and 0-4 in the playoffs is moronic. I mean, it's not my money so I suppose I don't care at the end of the day, but it's not good for the health of the franchise, and it keeps us from making the team better. After all, you can't spend an infinite amount of money over the cap, which means every dollar spent on a contract for an overpriced 'star' is a dollar less you have to getting a guy who might make your team better long-term.

I think if the goal is to be a 0.500 team and get swept in the first round by 25 points a game, well, then congratulations Pistons! Mission accomplished. If, on the other hand, the goal is to build a team that might contend for a title one day, they couldn't be doing a worse job of that right now.

I think step 1 is to hire an actual general manager. While having no GM/president is better than having Stan Van Gundy in the role (effectively), it's not conducive to building the team for the long run. The problem is I don't trust Gores to find the right person for that role. Once again, as was ever the case in every pro sport, ownership is the beginning and end of all issues with a team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 AM   #1526
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Could also use an upgrade over Reggie.
My issue with Reggie and the previous regimes insistence (I swear I spelled that wrong but there's no squiggly line) on pairing him with Drummond is the whole "excellent in the PnR" thing. It's hard to argue he and Dre work well in that role but who the hell cares? He can't do anything else!

Keep in mind this is the same guy that interrupts post game interviews to do silly **** because he's more concerned with having fun than taking the game serious. Anyone remember when Blake was doing an interview and basically blasting the team for not being mature enough and BAM Reggie shows up to do a video bomb.

Next thing you know, Reggie and Dre are doing post game interviews together talking in each others ear telling each other what to say in the interview and not taking anything serious. It's fun and games

Blake and Casey have brought some professionalism but aside from them we're stick with a bunch of late 20s guys acting like early 20s guys, if that makes sense, and they're all getting paid.

I have no idea what to do with this team, we just have to wait it out I guess we even brought Arnie Kander back and even that didn't work!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #1527
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
My issue with Reggie and the previous regimes insistence (I swear I spelled that wrong but there's no squiggly line) on pairing him with Drummond is the whole "excellent in the PnR" thing. It's hard to argue he and Dre work well in that role but who the hell cares? He can't do anything else!

Keep in mind this is the same guy that interrupts post game interviews to do silly **** because he's more concerned with having fun than taking the game serious. Anyone remember when Blake was doing an interview and basically blasting the team for not being mature enough and BAM Reggie shows up to do a video bomb.

Next thing you know, Reggie and Dre are doing post game interviews together talking in each others ear telling each other what to say in the interview and not taking anything serious. It's fun and games

Blake and Casey have brought some professionalism but aside from them we're stick with a bunch of late 20s guys acting like early 20s guys, if that makes sense, and they're all getting paid.
Definitely remember that, and I think it says everything you need to know about Reggie Jackson. There's a reason OKC let him go. Reggie Jackson is a loser with loser's intangibles, and the person who traded for him is the ultimate loser. As long as he's on the team, the Pistons won't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
I have no idea what to do with this team, we just have to wait it out I guess we even brought Arnie Kander back and even that didn't work!
If Mike Abdenour and Arnie Kander can't keep Blake healthy, no one can.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #1528
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

I like the Leuer for Snell and the 30th pick for the Pistons. Leuer couldn't stay healthy, Snell can shoot and the Pistons essentially bought the 30th pick taking back salary.

The Pistons should shop Drummond this offseason. It seems that many teams are desperate to add all-star level players, and the Pistons should take advantage if possible. If nothing materializes, then the Pistons can attempt to resign him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »