Home

Anybody else think MM 03' is better than NCAA2K3 ?

This is a discussion on Anybody else think MM 03' is better than NCAA2K3 ? within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Regular Cat RecordsŪ

3rdAnswer's Arena

OVR: 24
Anybody else think MM 03\' is better than NCAA2K3 ?

I'm gettin' a PS2 for my birthday (hopefully) and I KNOW im gonna get MM03. Does anybody else think this game is better than NCAA BBall 2K3 ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Anybody else think MM 03\' is better than NCAA2K3 ?

I used to be the biggest EA fan, I would buy their games before anything, but I don't think MM is better. I've played both, so here's some observations from my experience.

Features: 2k3 wins, hands-down

2k3 has all the teams, all the conferences, over 100 accurate arenas, and you can download accurate names for almost every team. The player models in 2k3 (for 75-80% of the players) are accurate for this year's actual rosters. I'm not sure how accurate the rosters are for MM.

Legacy mode: 2k3 by a little

You can do a career legacy and work your way up from a smaller school, or you can pick any school you want and start a legacy. Probably similar to MM, but I like the more career-oriented aspect. I like the recruiting and the all-star games in 2k3 a little better than the recruiting in MM. But, the legacy/dynasty modes are pretty comparable.

Graphics: 2k3 has MUCH better graphics, IMO.

MM just looks dirty. The arena graphics in 2k3 are outstanding. The detail in the domes and larger conference stadiums are very good.

Sound: Tie

MM has Dickie V- if you like that. The crowd chants in MM are pretty good. It gives the game a pretty good college feel. 2k3's commentary is not quite as exciting but is very fluid and is very assorted. You'll still hear new commentary a couple of months after you get it.

Gameplay: MM with sliders

In terms of gameplay, MM can be pretty realistic when you alter the slider settings. NCAA suffers from some poor AI gameplay issues in terms of steals, being a little too easy when you get the hang of it. If you have it set on All-American (the highest level) it is still rather difficult, especially if you play as a cupcake against the Dukes and Arizona's.

If you're looking for all the teams, more than 4 stadiums, good graphics, steady gameplay on the hardest level, and a good legacy mode, you won't go wrong with 2k3.

If you're looking for better gameplay with a college "feel," go with MM and use the sliders from this board. But, be aware that there are about 120 out of 310+ teams on MM and that the graphics are a little less impressive than 2k3.

Hope I helped.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Pro

taruncheel's Arena

OVR: 5

Wow! That was a pretty good post. I have 2k3 and have wondered if I made the right choice. I am enjoying the game, but have often wondered about the AI late in the game. Don't get me wrong, I still get beat plenty of times. However, late in the game the CPU does not react as how they should (where are the fouls?) I have heard that MM with the sliders will play a great game, but I still like the fact of having all of the teams (EA, are you ever going to learn?) I haven't been able to find MM to rent, so that is why I am still curious about the game. I have also found that the right camera angle can make a big diffence in the game.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

I rented MM 2003, played it once...
Old 02-23-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

You won't be dissapointed if you get NCAA CB 2K3. For their first attempt at a college basketball game Sega comes out way ahead of EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2003, 12:03 AM   #6
All Star

LiquidCrash's Arena

OVR: 31

NCAA 2K3 singleplayer is starting get a little boring to me. Its too predictable, since every team has the same gameplan. Everyone plays the same zones, and runs the same plays on offense, no matter who they are. The forcefield defense and jump steals don't help. Its still a good game, just gets a little repetitive. Online helps this, of course, but I can't play online everygame.

If March Madness would ever be at Blockbuster, I'd give it a shot, but I don't want to be stuck with a game that I don't like if I buy it.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:26 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

I like MM better myself mainly cause I can edit more things with it and the sliders make for better individual games. Both games have big enough flaws that I'm disappointed with both of them. But since 2K3 was the first game ever made by it's company it's pretty darn good for that, in fact rather impressive.

It's just I don't understand why EA has turned it's back on MM, I mean it's still pretty fun but NCAA football 2003 was the best sports game I've ever played in every department and it's obvious that with MM the same kind of effort was not put in.

Whoever that was above that compared the two with features, I agree with them on most points except, I think being able to edit players names, faces, and numbers gives MM a slight advantage over 2K3 where you can't edit appearnces or #'s which is ridiculous. But on 2K3 the announcers will say player names and they don't on MM.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
MVP

tenth's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

NCAA 2K3 singleplayer is starting get a little boring to me. Its too predictable, since every team has the same gameplan. Everyone plays the same zones, and runs the same plays on offense, no matter who they are. The forcefield defense and jump steals don't help. Its still a good game, just gets a little repetitive. Online helps this, of course, but I can't play online everygame.

Well this isn't completely true. While a lot of teams to play a 2-3 or 3-2 zone, not all of them do. I went across a 5-game stretch where I played against nothing but man D, after which I faced a Box plus 1 and a 1-3-1. This really frustrates me since I still can't consistently play well against Man D's. Offense is a little predictable, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that all the teams run the same plays. Many teams tend to score most of their points on specific plays or from specific areas. I just faced Miami who couldnl't get anything going down low, so they resorted to shooting a ton of mid-range shots and 3's. Their 3-point shooting actually kept them in the game. I lost a game to Morgan State when I was a top-10 team last year because their bugger of a point guard hit 9 3's in 8 minute-halves and two overtimes. You're right that it can be very predictable, but I'm still having a blast with it .

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »