Home

Worth buying or rental?

This is a discussion on Worth buying or rental? within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 17
Worth buying or rental?

i know this game came out weeks ago but i never had the chance to get it. I was playing the demo a lot and it was a so-so game. Anyway, is this game worth buying for the holidays or just a rental at blockbuster? And one question, can you import draft classes to NBA Live?

Oh and Happy Holidays to everyone!
PSN: alexsportsguy (lame but whatever)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Worth buying or rental?

For some reason it looks like Blockbuster does not carry the game. A few people have mentioned this. I bought the game cold. I love it. It has its flaws but I don't think they take anything away from the game. The atmosphere is great, and it plays a solid game of basketball. The college flavor is there for sure. I say buy it used from gamestop. That way if you don't like it you can return it within 7 days. Thats what I did, but I won't be returning it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex96
i know this game came out weeks ago but i never had the chance to get it. I was playing the demo a lot and it was a so-so game. Anyway, is this game worth buying for the holidays or just a rental at blockbuster? And one question, can you import draft classes to NBA Live?

Oh and Happy Holidays to everyone!
Bought it the 3rd day it was out and not disappointed! Game came out nicely!

Buy! Don't Rent!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I bought the game on day one and no regrets. I think the question you need to ask yourself is how big of a college basketball are you? My take on the 2 types would be:

Hardcore fan: buy now don't rent

Casual fan: rent first don't buy

You cannot upload draft classes into Live which is a shame that its still an omitted feature. And as pjv said, the game has its weaknesses but nothing that prohibit the overall fun factor and enjoyment of the game.

Oh and Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I bought the game on day one and no regrets.
I just don't get to play as much as I'd like to
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
For some reason it looks like Blockbuster does not carry the game. A few people have mentioned this. I bought the game cold. I love it. It has its flaws but I don't think they take anything away from the game. The atmosphere is great, and it plays a solid game of basketball. The college flavor is there for sure. I say buy it used from gamestop. That way if you don't like it you can return it within 7 days. Thats what I did, but I won't be returning it.
yeah when i went to blockbuster they didnt have any basketball games nba and ncaa, but i asked the person where they are and she said they were all checked out. do you any other rental places that carry ncaa? Does Nessler and Dicky-V say the players names?
PSN: alexsportsguy (lame but whatever)

Last edited by alex96; 12-21-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I don't know about other rental places as I don't rent games, but to answer your other question, V and Ness don't say a players name as often as they should. The commentary is fairly generic in the game. Yes, there are some cool aspects of it, but its average at best. Commentary is definitely one of the weaker spots of the game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 16

I have to disagree with the general consensus here and say that this game is not worth a purchase. I would strongly recommend you rent this game first before buying. For me, I was excited about the Tempo aspect of the game, and I was let down. A lot of little things happen to totally take you out of the college basketball atmosphere that they have done a good job creating. I would compare it to this years Madden, if you HAVE to have it, get it, but if you can live without owning it, don't. CB, I am a huge college basketball fan, love everything about it, but I just can not get into this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »