Home

XBOX360 Roster Limits

This is a discussion on XBOX360 Roster Limits within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: XBOX360 Roster Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamao14
its not that they don't care, its just that they can't. to have all 85 it would take another layer or something, it doesn't really matter about any of the other stuff on the game. the amount of data an interview takes is nowhere close to 15 players per team. (15players * 123teams = a shat ton of data). there have been many explanations on this just google it.
See I'm just not buying that excuse when I see a massive detailed game like Skyrim. They CAN add 15 more players per team. I think they don't feel it's necessary because offline dynasty is the only area it's wanted by gamers.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueWolverine91
85-man rosters is my number one wish for future NCAA games. Imagine not having to choose which incoming freshman to leave off the roster and not having to cut upperclassman.
Same here and has been for years!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Rookie

Dmarzio's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamao14
its not that they don't care, its just that they can't. to have all 85 it would take another layer or something, it doesn't really matter about any of the other stuff on the game. the amount of data an interview takes is nowhere close to 15 players per team. (15players * 123teams = a shat ton of data). there have been many explanations on this just google it.
I don't think you understand the immense amount of data that can be stored on a dual layer DVD. Most dual layer DVDs can hold about 8.5 Gigabytes worth of data.

Now I'm no database expert and I'm not sure how to calculate exact database sizes, but let me give you an example so you can kind of wrap your head around how insignificant adding 15 players for 123 teams would be in terms of disc space.

Each rating and information field would count as one field in the database, and for now we are going to assume that each field fills 100 bytes of data (which is absurd because each two digit rating should take up less than 2 bytes, but we are vastly overestimating here to prove a point). Now if every player has 30+ ratings, equipment fields, name and info, ect. than lets assume that there is about 150 fields per player. So if there are 150 fields x 85 players per team x 123 teams you have 1,568,250 fields of data. Sounds crazy right? Well lets assume that each field takes up 100 bytes, which again is probably way overestimating. What you get is a total of around 150 Megabytes for that database. Not that significant is it? If you use 70 players per team its about 123 megabytes. I'm assuming that each field takes way less than 100 bytes, so the actual database size should be way less than that, I'm just providing an example.

Again I don't claim to be an expert on how databases are stored, so if there is something I'm missing that should cause the database size to explode I'm sure someone will correct me.

I also don't really understand how it could be a memory issue either. Unless they are loading the entire database into memory AT ALL TIMES (which would be stupid) then I don't think its a problem. You think facebook loads their entire userbase with all their data into memory on their servers everytime someone accesses an individual page? Even if the database takes up 150mb, I don't think they are loading all 150mb of that database into memory at all times.

I just think they haven't devoted resources to it because it would not affect their average casual gamer. Simple as that.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyHawk
Don't forget about 1 button mode and Mascot Games!!! SO MUCH FUN.
Hey now, I sat around friday night with a friend of mine, and we played NCAA all night. Good 5 or 6 games at least while drinking a case or so of beer. I tell you, the mascot game we played just for fun after we were darn near wasted was a frickin riot! Just hilarious watching the damn horses on the field for Army, playing against a team of Kangaroos as he was akron. Not that I would every play it when bored, or sober, but... it had its use!

As for the roster issue, yes, a full 85 would be nice.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarzio
I don't think you understand the immense amount of data that can be stored on a dual layer DVD. Most dual layer DVDs can hold about 8.5 Gigabytes worth of data.

Now I'm no database expert and I'm not sure how to calculate exact database sizes, but let me give you an example so you can kind of wrap your head around how insignificant adding 15 players for 123 teams would be in terms of disc space.

Each rating and information field would count as one field in the database, and for now we are going to assume that each field fills 100 bytes of data (which is absurd because each two digit rating should take up less than 2 bytes, but we are vastly overestimating here to prove a point). Now if every player has 30+ ratings, equipment fields, name and info, ect. than lets assume that there is about 150 fields per player. So if there are 150 fields x 85 players per team x 123 teams you have 1,568,250 fields of data. Sounds crazy right? Well lets assume that each field takes up 100 bytes, which again is probably way overestimating. What you get is a total of around 150 Megabytes for that database. Not that significant is it? If you use 70 players per team its about 123 megabytes. I'm assuming that each field takes way less than 100 bytes, so the actual database size should be way less than that, I'm just providing an example.

Again I don't claim to be an expert on how databases are stored, so if there is something I'm missing that should cause the database size to explode I'm sure someone will correct me.

I also don't really understand how it could be a memory issue either. Unless they are loading the entire database into memory AT ALL TIMES (which would be stupid) then I don't think its a problem. You think facebook loads their entire userbase with all their data into memory on their servers everytime someone accesses an individual page? Even if the database takes up 150mb, I don't think they are loading all 150mb of that database into memory at all times.

I just think they haven't devoted resources to it because it would not affect their average casual gamer. Simple as that.
YEAH! What he said. Bottom line, adding 15 more players per team isn't a disk space issue. It's an "EA Sports doesn't feel like it's necessary" issue. I really believe that.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »