Home

OVR Calculation When Modifying a Roster in Excel and Re-Importing It

This is a discussion on OVR Calculation When Modifying a Roster in Excel and Re-Importing It within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

OVR: 0
OVR Calculation When Modifying a Roster in Excel and Re-Importing It

DISCLAIMER: Nothing in the following post is a slight, complaint, or judgement of the amazing work being done by roster editors on this site. Without them, I'd be playing with 'QB #3' handing off to 'HB #21' who gets tackled by 'ROLB #43'

A while back, I had compiled 11 seasons worth of recruiting classes to do some in depth analysis. I dug it out this week and decided to compare true freshmen from the recruiting data to true freshmen of a roster found on OS. Out of 11 seasons, the highest OVR was 86 (only 2 out of 26,837) and the highest in the base game roster was one 84. By comparison, the roster file had 16 out of 8,694 true freshmen with an overall of 86 or higher.

This gave me an idea...what would happen if I were to adjust the updated roster to the original scale used on the default roster. Why you ask? Because I don't want to start a dynasty with players on one scale, to then have those replace over time with a different scale. Yes I'm weird, but that's how I want to do it, if possible.

So how does this work? If a skill ranged from 15-90 in the default roster, but ranged from 20-99 in the update, then I would convert the updated roster to match the 15-90 original roster scale. In this, I am breaking the roster down by player year, redshirt status, and position, so that each group is scaled to just their group. That is a total of 168 groups (4 years x 2 redshirt status x 20 positions), with each having their own max/min for each of the 43 skills. Throwing accuracy for quarterbacks is going to be on a different scale than defensive ends, and true freshmen QB's are going to be on a different range from redshirt senior QB's.

This can be accomplished easily enough with Excel. However, it leaves me with a couple of questions. Do I have to include a calculation for each player's overall, or will it update when I load up the roster in game? Along the same lines, do I have to include a calculation for the team overall, offense, and defense ratings, or will it update when I load up the roster in game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

Re: OVR Calculation When Modifying a Roster in Excel and Re-Importing It

Although the original OVR will appear in the Roster, I believe the updated OVR will appear in the Depth Chart. At the moment, I can't remember how to transfer the new OVR to the file.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfeenathan
DISCLAIMER: Nothing in the following post is a slight, complaint, or judgement of the amazing work being done by roster editors on this site. Without them, I'd be playing with 'QB #3' handing off to 'HB #21' who gets tackled by 'ROLB #43'

A while back, I had compiled 11 seasons worth of recruiting classes to do some in depth analysis. I dug it out this week and decided to compare true freshmen from the recruiting data to true freshmen of a roster found on OS. Out of 11 seasons, the highest OVR was 86 (only 2 out of 26,837) and the highest in the base game roster was one 84. By comparison, the roster file had 16 out of 8,694 true freshmen with an overall of 86 or higher.

This gave me an idea...what would happen if I were to adjust the updated roster to the original scale used on the default roster. Why you ask? Because I don't want to start a dynasty with players on one scale, to then have those replace over time with a different scale. Yes I'm weird, but that's how I want to do it, if possible.

So how does this work? If a skill ranged from 15-90 in the default roster, but ranged from 20-99 in the update, then I would convert the updated roster to match the 15-90 original roster scale. In this, I am breaking the roster down by player year, redshirt status, and position, so that each group is scaled to just their group. That is a total of 168 groups (4 years x 2 redshirt status x 20 positions), with each having their own max/min for each of the 43 skills. Throwing accuracy for quarterbacks is going to be on a different scale than defensive ends, and true freshmen QB's are going to be on a different range from redshirt senior QB's.

This can be accomplished easily enough with Excel. However, it leaves me with a couple of questions. Do I have to include a calculation for each player's overall, or will it update when I load up the roster in game? Along the same lines, do I have to include a calculation for the team overall, offense, and defense ratings, or will it update when I load up the roster in game?

Roster Ovr will not update until the following season. However Depth Chart Ovr will be recalculated and that is really the only one that matters. Team ratings also get recalculated from what I can remember. Maybe not in the roster file but once you start a dynasty.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Rookie

big09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfeenathan

Did you ever make a roster with your findings?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by big09

Yes and no. I have a spreadsheet that can update a roster l, but I haven’t tried a dynasty with it yet. Got off doing other things waiting for the final 2018 rosters to be done. I definitely could post one if you like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Rookie

FarFromEer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by big09
Not sure how these play yet, but here is the rescaled player data for Xbox. They can be imported into the player tab of the editor. Every skill was rescaled using Excel formulas.

Credit to BosshawgMichigan, Vikesfan, et al.
Attached Files
File Type: zip !edited-PLAY.zip (867.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by FarFromEer; 03-04-2019 at 06:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »