Home

Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #17
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NCAA 07 Sliders

I'm going out today to see if I can get the game. If I do, I'll work on sliders right off the bat.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #18
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
Anyone have a better way to find sliders, or tweak my way of creating them?
I think your method looks good; I've worked a similar template in the past. Generally speaking, though, my method for the last couple years has been to work from the bottom up: putting every slider at zero and increasing them as I see plays that are unrealistic. In fact, my 2004 sliders were very low across the board (think: a combination of zero's, two's and five's) and drew rave reviews. Lower slider sets haven't worked as well the past two years, but I still believe it's a great way to go about finding a good set.

If you don't already get the idea, it breaks down like this:

1. Set everything to zero.
2. Play as 'seriously' as you can.
3. Look for flaws.
4. Wait to see said flaw a second time.
5. Upon the second occurence, bump the offending slider one notch.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 until the end of the game.
7. Start new game with sliders as they were at finish of last game.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 until every play is yielding a realistic result.

This process lasts for roughly 4-6 (exhibition) games; by then the sliders should be solid enough to give them a run in Dynasty mode. I'll play one season of Dynasty, continuing the above process. By the end of the season, the sliders should be pretty much set. Play another full season (tweaks by this point will be few and far between) and by the end of the year (you've played some thirty games by now) the sliders should be perfect.

Restart Dynasty; your sliders are awesome and you're awesome at the game.

(That's how it should go down, anyway. Truth be told, I never achieved a set of sliders for '06 that I was 100% comfortable with, so you never know. But, in theory, this process should be flawless for anyone willing to put in the time.)

Last edited by Village Idiot; 07-15-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Generally speaking, though, my method for the last couple years has been to work from the bottom up: putting every slider at zero and increasing them as I see plays that are unrealistic.

1. Set everything to zero.
2. Play as 'seriously' as you can.
3. Look for flaws.
I think Playmaker used that theory for some of his games (I think I read he did that for baseball) but I totally disagree with this method. The game was designed to play at the default settings where the gameplay is supposedly best. We all have issues with some gameplay elements and will most likely tweak some things. I don't understand why anyone would make a game far worse (in theory) by drastically altering the sliders to zero.

In number 3 you said "Look for flaws" yet by dropping all of the sliders, you are creating many flaws imo plus changing the entire dynamic of the game (QB accuracy, running back ability sliders particularly, etc.). Furthermore, you now require a lot more time to test your sliders rather than actually playing a game which seems like far too much work. I just want to play the game and over time as I find problems, I adjust them. My only advice to anyone is that if you do adjust sliders, don't just do one click (5%), do two clicks and see if you over corrected or need more.

This zero slider method is popular with some people but something I don't agree with or like at all. For NCAA 2007, many people are saying its pretty good at default. What if the game plays great on default and you simply drop all the sliders to 0 and spend weeks testing only to realize you shouldn't have touched them in the first place? Just my two cents.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

I appreciate the input, Undefeated, but I do agree with rudyjuly on this one. Sliders at default are where the game is -supposed- to play the best. Now we all know this isn't the case, but, like rudyjuly said, dropping them to zero could create more problems. My sliders won't be "minimum" sliders.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #21
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't understand why anyone would make a game far worse (in theory) by drastically altering the sliders to zero.
In order to guage what precise effect the sliders have, or, in other words, to observe the game in its 'naked' form.

Quote:
In number 3 you said "Look for flaws" yet by dropping all of the sliders, you are creating many flaws imo ...
Maybe, maybe not - that's the point. Example: everyone's been talking about how improved the passing game is; if I'm playing with QB-ACC and WR-CATCH at zero (or three, four or five, as it were) and having no problems at all, I'm potentially weeks ahead of the guys who will come on here and complain a month from now how passing is too easy. It goes both ways.

Quote:
What if the game plays great on default and you simply drop all the sliders to 0 and spend weeks testing only to realize you shouldn't have touched them in the first place? Just my two cents.
Obviously, if the game plays great at default there's no need to play with the sliders. The method above (as well as a thread about sliders) implies the game needs slider work in the first place. I did not mean to imply this is what I'll do (or what someone else should do) the moment they pop in the game. The question I responded to was simply, 'Does anyone else have another method for creating sliders?' My answer was, 'Yeah, here it is'.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 07-17-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingChef
I appreciate the input, Undefeated, but I do agree with rudyjuly on this one. Sliders at default are where the game is -supposed- to play the best. Now we all know this isn't the case, but, like rudyjuly said, dropping them to zero could create more problems. My sliders won't be "minimum" sliders.

Sliders at default is usually what most games **** at simply because it is mainly for the casual gamer. It doesn't take into account Human skill level and though there might be some who can get a solid game by the CPU at DEFAULT it doesn't mean that was excatly how the game was meant to be played.

Last year at DEFAULT Madden and NCAA provided unrealistic Pancakes totals in the range of 35-40 per team. Do you thinks that's realistic or the best gameplay?

by dropping a slider you essentially get closer to a game where it is predicated based on an individual ratings of players. A slider essentially gives an increase in attributes the higher you set it.

Take for examble the DB's if you boost up Knockdowns even futher from default settings you are turning guy's particulary in Madden into all world defenders despite him being 60+ rating DB.

A QB with a higher QBA accuarcy rating becomes Dan Marino and how many Colleg QB's can make every throw with pin point accuarcy?

I personally think IMO too many people assume the WR's drop too many passes in NCAA so they jack up the QBA slider when the QB's are already extremelly accurate. But hey that's my opinion and not all slider guy's will agree with a direction a slider should be moved. But I do know for a fact stating DEFAULT was for the most realistic gameplay doesn't apply for every game. If I played with DEFAULT QBA or RBA last year in NCAA I would have scored 50+ points every game.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 3

Playmakers, keep doing what you're doing. I can't wait for your slider set. I won't start a dynasty until then. Keep us all updated on your workings so we can edit our sliders as you go on and find new things. Last year, you made the game feel alot more comfortable and free flowing. It seems like sliders being too high give a more CPU enhanced feel, and less is more natural human feel.

Keep it up, cuz.

Last edited by ballaholics; 07-17-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Sliders at default is usually what most games **** at simply because it is mainly for the casual gamer. It doesn't take into account Human skill level and though there might be some who can get a solid game by the CPU at DEFAULT it doesn't mean that was excatly how the game was meant to be played.

Last year at DEFAULT Madden and NCAA provided unrealistic Pancakes totals in the range of 35-40 per team. Do you thinks that's realistic or the best gameplay?

by dropping a slider you essentially get closer to a game where it is predicated based on an individual ratings of players. A slider essentially gives an increase in attributes the higher you set it.

Take for examble the DB's if you boost up Knockdowns even futher from default settings you are turning guy's particulary in Madden into all world defenders despite him being 60+ rating DB.

A QB with a higher QBA accuarcy rating becomes Dan Marino and how many Colleg QB's can make every throw with pin point accuarcy?

I personally think IMO too many people assume the WR's drop too many passes in NCAA so they jack up the QBA slider when the QB's are already extremelly accurate. But hey that's my opinion and not all slider guy's will agree with a direction a slider should be moved. But I do know for a fact stating DEFAULT was for the most realistic gameplay doesn't apply for every game. If I played with DEFAULT QBA or RBA last year in NCAA I would have scored 50+ points every game.
NCAA 2006 required a lot of tweaking but our point was that default should play the best and there was no need to drastically change the sliders all to zero in order to test them. While I agree that the QBs were too accurate last year and that running back ability was too high, I don't agree that lowering the slider allows us to see the player's true abilities. It simply dulls a player's abilities but doesn't separate the good from the bad more. In fact, it could bring them closer together by making all running backs slow and useless (RBA at 0). Either way, you had to bring them up or down to get a better game for me.

As for the knockdowns, I believed that they both (human and cpu) should have been maxed out on last year's game for NCAA (particularly on AA) in order to help with the deep ball. There was a situation where increasing the slider was better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »