Home

Effects of Penalties on Gameplay

This is a discussion on Effects of Penalties on Gameplay within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Effects of Penalties on Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydeburnz
You have to set roughing passer back down to 53. Facemask should be 54ish and Offsides 51 Falsestart 50. Holding is the most called at 53ish and False Starts are ridiculous at anything higher than 50 on the cpu. HUM only jumps if aggressive and if you see the cpu jumping snap anything higher than 51 allows you to call them offsides at will. Facemask at 54 offsets the holding ..

basically we have two penalties we can control. Holding and Facemask. Holding at 54 is pretty much a sure hold every kick return .. annoying.
You may need to re-read the intro post, this thread has very little to do in regards to the penalties called on the field, but the effect of the penalty sliders on gameplay.

For example, the offsides penalty at 100 dramatically impacts how easily the pass rushers can shed their blocks (with minimal impact on how many offsides calls are made). Using the clipping slider at lower settings improves the OL blocking, a nice offset for the block shedding of the higher offsides slider. There is also a dramatic impact by lowering the roughing the kicker penalty as it makes defenders more aggressive in going after ball carriers.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
I used these with AA and sacks were out of control. Cincy vs Rutgers and I had 5 sacks mid way 1st qtr. Adjusted them but it still played odd. I use Very Slow so I can see all the animations. I did notice more diving catches and dropped INTs. The CPU INT against me was interesting. The LB speed burst through my TE and made the pick but then turned back toward my TE to get tackled.
Were you using default AA or a modified AA? If it was a modified AA slider set, then I suggest trying a game on default AA (50s for all sliders) and see how this work. It may not work as well as it does on Heisman, but it might.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
You may need to re-read the intro post, this thread has very little to do in regards to the penalties called on the field, but the effect of the penalty sliders on gameplay.

For example, the offsides penalty at 100 dramatically impacts how easily the pass rushers can shed their blocks (with minimal impact on how many offsides calls are made). Using the clipping slider at lower settings improves the OL blocking, a nice offset for the block shedding of the higher offsides slider. There is also a dramatic impact by lowering the roughing the kicker penalty as it makes defenders more aggressive in going after ball carriers.
This is a great finding. Have you made any more progress or settled on the values in the OP? I like how the pass rush feels on these settings.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isura
This is a great finding. Have you made any more progress or settled on the values in the OP? I like how the pass rush feels on these settings.
I tinkered a bit with dropping Offsides to 98, but the suction blocking comes back hard core (with sliders at default and I am trying to leave them alone). I am leaving that at 100 as per the OP.

I am really trying to get some numbers for adjusting the Roughing the Kicker penalty slider. At 33, it is a bit too tough running the football (Bowling Green held me using Oregon State to 98 yards on 36 carries...that is not at all realistic). I increased to 50 and it helped both running games a fair bit. I am also playing around some with the Roughing the Kicker slider and it does somehow feel like it impacts pursuit angles; I just can't get a good feel for what EXACTLY it does.

I don't have the time to do this alone and would welcome anyone willing to do some labbing.....
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Josh, roughing the kicker does affect pursuit angles. It works in conjunction to rush defense and also the min. speed threshold. I don't have a solid principle yet on how to use it in conjunction to the min. speed threshold.

I would recommend using the extremes of 0 and 100. Try min. speed threshold at 0 with a 0-25 roughing the kicker range and then also a 75-100 range. Do the same for the 100 speed threshold.

I have fumbled my way to seeing more momentum inferred by using a combination of these settings but it was adventitious as there were still other elements in the mix. Every once in a while I can get that 'roster edit' feel but there is so many changes done by then that I don't have a close eye on how to drill down to who or what the culprit or alibi is or the combination of effects.

The punt/catch interference one is also a special teams type slider but it helps with how the defenseman converges on the receiver. It's like how fast a DB can break out of his back foot and recover ground. It makes sense because it's your gunners who pursuit the kr/pr man.

I feel strongly that the roughing the kicker slider controls momentum on the defensive side and overall in the game it enforces more or less momentum onto the players causing more or less of a need to decelerate or cut and restart. I have seen it come to life at it's best in NCAA than I have in Madden. When you block a kick or punt it's your diving momentum that usually extends you to the ball. To me, that's the momentous effect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Josh, roughing the kicker does affect pursuit angles. It works in conjunction to rush defense and also the min. speed threshold. I don't have a solid principle yet on how to use it in conjunction to the min. speed threshold.
I agree with you on this 100%, I just haven't quite figured it out which way to tune it. I want to be very careful with this one, because this could be one that could really throw everything out of whack.

Quote:
The punt/catch interference one is also a special teams type slider but it helps with how the defenseman converges on the receiver. It's like how fast a DB can break out of his back foot and recover ground. It makes sense because it's your gunners who pursuit the kr/pr man.
Did you get a sense of which way to go? What I mean is, which direction makes the defender break more quickly? This could be quite helpful with the Safety glitch bug, if they can recover more quickly, it may help cover it up.

Quote:
I feel strongly that the roughing the kicker slider controls momentum on the defensive side and overall in the game it enforces more or less momentum onto the players causing more or less of a need to decelerate or cut and restart. I have seen it come to life at it's best in NCAA than I have in Madden. When you block a kick or punt it's your diving momentum that usually extends you to the ball. To me, that's the momentous effect.
That's an interesting way of phrasing it, but I think is accurate. A higher rating on this slider kills the 'momentum' and can almost make the AI too passive. A lower rating and they flow to the ball more fluidly.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Opening post has been updated. I really feel good about these settings. I absolutely need people to play around with the KR/PR interference slider. I need impressions and input on what exactly this is doing; but for some reason it feels better at 0.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Re kr/pr catch interference, I prefer higher settings because they help with the closing speed. I prefer to have it above def. pass interference but with what you've got going there, maybe you've got a good balance. At 0 though, you will get away with running into return man on a fair catch and perhaps force a fumble without the penalty being called.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »