Home

What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy?

This is a discussion on What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito2009
Anyone have a good idea vs the type of guy that does this? I had the problem tonight where he would just do a few plays, basically the same thing out of like 2 or 3 formations. He would sprint out to the wide side and hit the flat guy real fast or wait and get some crossing WR or TE after things start to breakdown.

I would try to blitz the backside and have to take the wide side DE and sprint out to the wide side to try and cover the flat. This worked a little bit but not enough to shut him down at all (and if i over seleceted the DE i was screwed even more). I HATE playing a game were its my 2 or 3 def plays vs his 3 or 4 off plays and thats the extent of the mind blowing strategy... drives me nuts when people take advantage of AI like this. Run the damn play as its intended in the playbook;p. If its a roll out pass by all means roll out, hot route and flip plays do all that good stuff, just DON'T take advantage of a flaw in a system. I havent played to many guys online yet and I just need to know the strategies to beat these types of clowns.;p
Honestly would rather not even play them but its in my OD so I don't have a choice. I don't really want to have to play the game where I pick the same damn defense over and over. Its just so lame and has zero football strategy. I just want to play simulation, not I found a way to gain 1800 yards with my WR and throw for 4k yards on these masterful plays.... I get it that it works and I know there is a def that will probably stop it...but reeaallly? God its so boring playing those games. I give all the respect to you if you can beat me straight up and actually READ the defense make the corect call, keep me off balance, whatever just please for the love of god don't just do what "works" learn to read a defense and I promise the rewards will be so much better then...I have the 1800 yard WR cause I can run this uber play 25 times a game.....gah. I am venting cause its just so lame;p. Yes and I lost and lost bad....

4-2-5 max zone -press, control DT and chase qb AWAY from what seems to be his favorite side to attack and roll to.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Any of you guys know of a OD that requires sim play at all? I assume I could find it here on one of the forums. Maybe another website or something like that.

I can send u an invite , we have rules posted..

hit me up GT: blackscorpion11
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkmike
I hate to break it to you, but this guy wasn't taking advantage of bad artificial intelligence. He was taking advantage of bad human intelligence. If you really suck at chess, and your opponent, game after game, consistently takes your King within 10 moves, you can't rightly criticize him for having an unimaginative strategy. He could very well have imaginative strategies, but just doesn't need to use them against you. There are a multitude of plays at your disposal to counter the offensive strategies you mentioned. You, not your opponent, are responsible for the unrealistic nature of your game. If a college offensive coordinator could have success running only 3 or 4 plays in a game, he would. But usually this isn't effective. The defense would adjust and shut down the offense. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain. A true "sim game" isn't when players punt on 4th down or mix up their playcalls simply to be nice to their opponent, but instead when players do these things because it's actually to their advantage to do so. The former is only a "sim game" on the surface. In reality, it's sacrificed the most important element of the game; competition.

That said, even when I play against someone who can't stop my first set of plays, I'll still mix it up. But I'll do so for my own benefit, not for his. It's not smart to become dependent on strategies that only work against weaker opponents.

It sounds like he WAS reading your defense. Your defense was screaming to him, "Run the same play over and over because I don't know how to stop it!"

I know I probably sound heartless, but once you accept that your opponents don't owe you anything (other than not cheating), you'll have a lot more fun with this game online. It will probably make you a better player too. Because people don't think very clearly when they are angry. Intead of thinking, "How dare this *sshole run the same plays over and over," you should be calmly thinking, "What adjustments do I need to make to stop this?"

100% true. Nice post, deserves its own thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but this guy wasn't taking advantage of bad artificial intelligence. He was taking advantage of bad human intelligence. If you really suck at chess, and your opponent, game after game, consistently takes your King within 10 moves, you can't rightly criticize him for having an unimaginative strategy. He could very well have imaginative strategies, but just doesn't need to use them against you. There are a multitude of plays at your disposal to counter the offensive strategies you mentioned. You, not your opponent, are responsible for the unrealistic nature of your game. If a college offensive coordinator could have success running only 3 or 4 plays in a game, he would. But usually this isn't effective. The defense would adjust and shut down the offense. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain. A true "sim game" isn't when players punt on 4th down or mix up their playcalls simply to be nice to their opponent, but instead when players do these things because it's actually to their advantage to do so. The former is only a "sim game" on the surface. In reality, it's sacrificed the most important element of the game; competition.

That said, even when I play against someone who can't stop my first set of plays, I'll still mix it up. But I'll do so for my own benefit, not for his. It's not smart to become dependent on strategies that only work against weaker opponents.

It sounds like he WAS reading your defense. Your defense was screaming to him, "Run the same play over and over because I don't know how to stop it!"

I know I probably sound heartless, but once you accept that your opponents don't owe you anything (other than not cheating), you'll have a lot more fun with this game online. It will probably make you a better player too. Because people don't think very clearly when they are angry. Intead of thinking, "How dare this *sshole run the same plays over and over," you should be calmly thinking, "What adjustments do I need to make to stop this?"
very good point, i completely agree. ive played guys like that before and it can be a little frustrating with the trial and error of trying to stop a "money play." but like the previous poster said, if you use sound football strategy you should be able to shut that down. personally, i would run a cover 2 to stop the throw to the flats and then audible my defensive line to contain
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

OVR: 3

First, I only play against CPU.

Now, I have found with many of the teams, as the TC pointed out, there are many of the same plays run out of different formations.

With Florida Atlantic's playbook, there are probably 10 formations that all run basically the same 4 pages of plays. Then there are 5 other formations that have some more unique plays.

So, with 10 formations with all essentially the same plays, that is really only 16 plays to choose from. Then the other 16 plays in the other five formations is about 80 plays, but maybe half of those are essientially the same as from the other formations, so that is 40 plays. So now we are at 56 plays.

And of those plays, I think we all know that probably 20 of them almost never are successful, so now I am looking at about 36 unique plays that I realistically will choose from in a given game.

So, it is not going to be too unreasonable, given those perameters that I will essentially be running the same several basic play types all game. Either run inside, run outside, crossing patterns at different depths, or downfield posts if the safeties push up.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Any of you guys know of a OD that requires sim play at all? I assume I could find it here on one of the forums. Maybe another website or something like that.
http://www.traditionfootball.com/
http://www.traditionfootball.com/offl/
Hit up the new members section of their forums.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:

Terrible post i don't agree at all, if some dork picks the same play over and over your D's AI; not matter wut D u pick; should figure it out and stop it. Enough of this "Figure it out" why is that always leveled at the player, I say EA should "Figure it out." I like some many other players are tired of playing rock, siccors, paper with some cheese ball. Calling the OP troubles human error is absolutely absurd this game is so full of it that its not worth calmly wasting my time to figure out such a badly made game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 3

Nothing makes me more mad on this game than playing a guy that just runs the same plays over and over again. Even when I beat the crap out of them, it still annoys the hell out of me.

From my experience, the people that run the same plays over and over again do this:

I)Run the HB Toss play -- Basically, it's hard to stop unless you call the perfect play or you get a LB/Safety and read it from the start. Playing the Run Left or Right (doing the Defensive Key to the right or left) helps too if you know which way they are going.

II) Throw the ball out to the flats -- This one isn't that hard to stop if you see them doing it a bunch. Just run any Zone Defense that has the Cornerbacks cover the flats and it should stop that play in it's tracks. If they still decide to try and throw it over there, the CB should pick it off/knock it down every time.

III) Run the Option -- This one is a lot harder to stop than the other two. Honestly, the only way I've found to stop them from getting 4-10 yards every play on the option is to run a Defensive Key to the side they are going to. This is basically luck unless they are running it from the same exact formation every time.

IV) Running Outside with their QB -- DE Contain does a great job of slowing this play down... just be sure to have both Safeties in Cover 2 and everybody else (besides the DEs, obviously) in Man Defense. They would still be able to hit the RBs in the Flats, most likely, which is why you should use whoever is covering the RB. To be honest, I would rather try to cover the RB out in tha flats than have the CPU do it.

That's basically it. If you're able to stop those 4 plays, then you should be able to beat quite a few guys online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »