Home

Are we just a year away from canned animations being a thing of the past?

This is a discussion on Are we just a year away from canned animations being a thing of the past? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #33
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Are we just a year away from canned animations being a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad_moss93
NBA Elite (live) is getting real time physics too, So why not Madden and NCAA next year

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/26...l-time-physics
Like I said, I think we are moving closer for Madden and NCAA getting real-time physics. They probably just want to try it on their less important games beofer they move it on to Madden if they are going to.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #34
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14

What EA should do is have the Real Time physics already in practice and then record some footage, ask us what we think and what should be improved so it will look right and we won't waste $60 big ones.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #35
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
Like I said, I think we are moving closer for Madden and NCAA getting real-time physics. They probably just want to try it on their less important games beofer they move it on to Madden if they are going to.
They are made by two different studio are they not? So you can't judge what Madden and NCAA is doing based off of FIFA, NHL, or NBA "Elite" is doing.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 39

Ok, after hearing the news that NBA 11 is also getting the physics engine, I think its time for the football games to follow suit.. First NHL, now NBA & with the hype/positive feedback for Backbreaker there is no reason they wouldn't do it for NCAA 12 & Madden 12. I realize NHL & NBA are produced from EA Canada, but I'm betting it will translate into the football games by next year (hopefully).
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #37
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Seems that ever since Backbreaker and the Euphoria tech have come out, canned animations have become the 'devil' in the eyes of many gamers. All of a sudden, canned animations are not good enough LOL.

When I think of canned animations, I think of games like NFL2K5 & APF. While there were a few animations that played all the time, most of them were captured really well and I often saw new wrinkles in the catches. So a game can be canned-animation based and still bring a fresh experience. Up until it got confirmed for NHL 11, I would tell you that I could care less about physics based animations. But since NHL is getting it, it has to quickly make its way into Madden (assuming the tech is impressive).

Still, you've gotta have a combo of both canned animations and a physics-based engine. Or else, you'll sometimes see players with that lifeless look as they sometimes have after colliding in the Backbreaker demo.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Seems that ever since Backbreaker and the Euphoria tech have come out, canned animations have become the 'devil' in the eyes of many gamers. All of a sudden, canned animations are not good enough LOL.

When I think of canned animations, I think of games like NFL2K5 & APF. While there were a few animations that played all the time, most of them were captured really well and I often saw new wrinkles in the catches. So a game can be canned-animation based and still bring a fresh experience. Up until it got confirmed for NHL 11, I would tell you that I could care less about physics based animations. But since NHL is getting it, it has to quickly make its way into Madden (assuming the tech is impressive).

Still, you've gotta have a combo of both canned animations and a physics-based engine. Or else, you'll sometimes see players with that lifeless look as they sometimes have after colliding in the Backbreaker demo.

I think of Madden and the same animations play out over and over and then I think why can't Madden's animations be more like NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I think of Madden and the same animations play out over and over and then I think why can't Madden's animations be more like NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8.

2K5 wasn't near as bad, but 2K8, for how amazing the animations looked, the game was actually over-animated. You would see these beautiful play-action rollouts, running styles, catches, etc., but the animations take so long and you are powerless to do anything while the vast majority of them play out. Had they taken that same engine and added tons of branch windows for their animations, while making the branch animations quick yet still as fluid and as true-to-life as the rest of them in the game, then it would no doubt be nearly perfect. Even so, physics-based football is the way of the future. Animations could still be a lot better, but they will still always have a handful of unsolvable problems.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #40
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
Ok, after hearing the news that NBA 11 is also getting the physics engine, I think its time for the football games to follow suit.. First NHL, now NBA & with the hype/positive feedback for Backbreaker there is no reason they wouldn't do it for NCAA 12 & Madden 12. I realize NHL & NBA are produced from EA Canada, but I'm betting it will translate into the football games by next year (hopefully).
This is why I think we will see it within the next couple interatins of the game. Even though the other 2 are EA Canada, I think if it's successful the heads at EA will probably want it in their best-selling American game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

Canned animations don't bother me personally, but with everyone talking about how Backbreaker is the future becasue of its tech is the only reason I think i this is going to happen with all sports pretty soon. I also agree about the canned animations still needing to be in there because even for a physics based game like Backbreaker is, it seems like 20% of the tackles are kinda iffy, and like you said a lot of them leave the ball carrier looking lifeless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »