Home

VT Hokies 2011 Roster as Case Study on How Closely Video Game Players Match Real Ones

This is a discussion on VT Hokies 2011 Roster as Case Study on How Closely Video Game Players Match Real Ones within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #33
Rookie

alphaguy5's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: VT Hokies 2011 Roster as Case Study on How Closely Video Game Players Match Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piecee
Someone apparently made a fake post under my name. I never posted any response to your post. Yours was a good post and I thank you for it. I will post a response tomorrow night.
Please check the forum names please.

Many people use the VT pic, and I am not the same person as the one who posted earlier.
Lions
Packers
Fulham Football Club

Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: VT Hokies 2011 Roster as Case Study on How Closely Video Game Players Match Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaguy5
Relax.

As an earlier post said, I believe that David Wilson should be a couple of points better, but other than that, I beleive that this is fairly accurate of Tech's current roster. Or at least as accurate as a fictional video game representation allows it to be.

There are a few positions where I would suggest some rating changes, but with regards to Logan Thomas, I do beleive that you have a close rating to the one that he has in the game, maybe a point or two too high. Although he is unproven, NCAA seems to give unproven players from nationally ranked teams the benefit of the doubt and have them at least a bit above average. So for that, I would say that you are pretty close with his ranking.
Now I understand what you meant when you wrote "relax." I don't think you are aware of the history at play here. At least two of these people gave me ____ on other threads I started on this message board. They apparently saw my name and have followed me around on the message board just to give me more ____. I am just responding in kind. It is the people who were giving me ____ that need to relax.>>>
> >
David Wilson was one of the hardest players to rate. The analysts claim that he is not as good as Evans or Williams when it comes to running inside, running over people and breaking tackles. His ratings in NCAA 11 reflect these facts. When rating him for NCAA 12 I boosted those of his ratings that relate to running inside, running over people and breaking tackles to reflect the fact that he has a year more experience under his belt and has gotten stronger. Maybe I should have raised these ratings more. (Among other ratings I also raised were those related to the passing game since he had a fine year catching the ball last year.) I do agree that an argument could be made that Wilson should be an 89, 90 or 91. However, Williams and Evans were 93 and 92 respectively in NCAA 11. Since Wilson lacks the experience of these two players I don't think he should be rated any higher than a 91. I also think it is possible that EA sports will rate Wilson in the 90s just so that the team has a least one offensive player with an overall rating in the 90s. >>
> >
Thomas was also hard to rate. The biggest difficulty I encountered was the fact that players with similar skill sets are rated differently depending on what position they play in the game. Tyrod Tayor from NCAA 11 is a great example. His speed in the game was, if I remember correctly, an 82 were 83. A wide receiver who could run as fast as he can probably would ahve received a speed rating of at least a 90. I think there is a good chance that when converting Thomas from a TE into QB I should have made other adjustments besides lowering his speed to below Taylor's, raising his arm strength to that of Taylor, raising his throwing accuracy to two points below Taylor and increasing his awareness to reflect the he is a year older. I lack the intimate knowledge of the workings of the game to take things any further when it comes to how positions impact ratings.>>
> >
Thank you for the valuable constructive criticism.>>

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 05-14-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeath
For Davis's jumping rating, I would see on the original EA rosters(no name) and see who has a 94-99 jump rating and look up on the internet for their vertical and just compare it to Davis.

I honesty think David Wilson deserves a higher rating btw.

He ran a 4.29 40 yard dash. He broke a squat lifting record held by Darren Evans. 445 Front Squat. His juke and spin moves i dont know where to put him. I heard some people say his vision isn't that great but has been improving, so I say it should be in the 80's.

And your right that Danny Coale does return punts too.

I should of said it differently.
Davis' jump rating was actually only an 88 in NCAA 11. Considering what his vertical jump is I think this was too low. I suspect this a reflection of the fact that he was fifth on the depth chart in NCAA 11. One of my working assumptions is that the further one goes down the depth chart the less of an effort EA makes to match the player in the game with the actual player on the team. My hunch is that since he will be higher on the depth chart in NCAA a 12 his new jump rating will be more accurate./>>>
> >
The only source I was able to find for the vertical jumps is hokiesports.com. The number I needed more than any other was Hosley's vertical jump. Unfortunately it was not listed. Housley had the highest jump rating on the team in NCAA 11. I made Davis' new jump rating one point higher than Housley's. I suspect it should be raised but I am not certain. Perhaps I will expand my research on vertical jumps to other teams.>>

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 05-11-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #36
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Dyrell Roberts has been struggling in coming back from a compartment syndrome he suffered last season in the Georgia Tech game. He did not participate in spring practices at all.

Marcus Davis led all receivers with six catches for 61 yards and two touchdowns in the Maroon-White game. He caught 23 passes for 297 yards and four touchdowns combined in the Hokies***8217; scrimmages and the Maroon-White game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Davis has taken Roberts' spot come this fall.

Danny Coale led all punters with 3 punts for an average of 44.0 yards with a long of 53 yards in the Maroon-White game. His average would have been better if not for having to rush one due to an unblocked defender coming through the line. The punt was a low line drive that Jayron Hosley ended up running back for a touchdown. Without a doubt Coale looked better than any of the other punters during the Maroon-White game.

I really do hope the prediction of GW starting at LOLB is wrong. Would love to see Nick Drew or someone step up and take that spot.
GW and Tweedy were neck and neck during spring ball but the final spring depth chart listed GW as the starter. It must have been hard to be in GW's shoes last year. I hope he has a good year this season. It would not surprise me if Tweedy beats out GW for the starting spot in fall ball but I have come to believe that EA Sports completes the rosters in May and so I assume GW will be the starter in the NCAA 12.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 05-11-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #37
Rookie

vaeath's Arena

OVR: 2

http://beamerball.com/free/beamerblog.asp

Scroll down to 2-28-11

Spring testing results.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeath
http://beamerball.com/free/beamerblog.asp

Scroll down to 2-28-11

Spring testing results.
Thanks for the tip. As I scrolled down I hoped to see Hosley’s vertical jump. The inforomation is still helpful nonetheless.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #39
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

my question to the OP is where is he gonna get a CD-ROM of the game? That would be pretty impressive if the game fit on a CD-ROM. Especially since its 750 MB of data on a CD-ROM. Quite a feat EA will pull off if they print the game on a CD-ROM especially since they havent printed a game on a CD-ROM since the PS1 days
Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

if its for the sake of your own curiosity then why did you feel the need to make a thread about it? The whole thing is based on your opinion and projections of what kids without much experience will do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »