Home

Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

This is a discussion on Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

Nothing in the OP seems too terrible. What I can't stand is the psychic pass coverage and sudden change in direction of players, defying the laws of physics.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think this is a great thread. Too many times are we all here complaining about issues without video proof, so our issues are misunderstood or just completely ignored. Having these videos to show really makes it easier to see what you're saying and really brings the issues to light.

Those Madden videos look great and had me thinking that maybe the reason players seem to be so much smarter in Madden than NCAA is because of all the new tendencies they added. I could definitely see that being the reason. With the new tendencies surrounding how often a QB scrambles, how often a player avoids contact, etc. that could easily lead to different running styles that are better in Madden than NCAA. With those tendencies, I think it could easily be the reason players are much better at avoiding contact because it is a built in tendency that they had to put logic in for. The same thing could be said about QB's scrambling and whatever else the AI does better in Madden.

So, I would like to see NCAA bring over tendencies(and player roles too), but expand on them. Bring over what Madden has, add more, and make them more collegiate-like. I think it would help fix a lot of the problems we have with the gameplay and would only enhance the experience, that is, unless it is broken too like most everything else.

― Plato
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #51
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
This push tackle animation is done way too much in Madden 12 and NCAA 12. It is the most used tackle animation by the cpu. It is highly unrealistic.

Nobody in real life tackles like this in the open field. The only time a defender pushes a ball carrier like this is if he is near the sideline and he is simply trying to push him out of bounds.
OMG that reminds me, I despise the "shoulder bump" tackle animation that always plays near the sideline regardless of what button you hit. One time I was playing South Carolina online and my guy tried to bump Jeffrey out of bounds, only he didn't actually go out of bounds, so while my DB was locked in the 'slowing down' animation, Jeffrey took a 5 yard out into a 60 yard TD.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
OMG that reminds me, I despise the "shoulder bump" tackle animation that always plays near the sideline regardless of what button you hit. One time I was playing South Carolina online and my guy tried to bump Jeffrey out of bounds, only he didn't actually go out of bounds, so while my DB was locked in the 'slowing down' animation, Jeffrey took a 5 yard out into a 60 yard TD.
Though that is frustrating, I've come to the point where I have reasons for most issues with the game. So even though the issue you described shouldn't be in the game, I look at it like this... 1) Both my players and the CPU's players can have it happen to them, so it is not really that unfair, and 2) I look at it as a player sort of giving up on the play after a hit because they made a bad decision by assuming a play was ending.

― Plato
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #53
Banned

Quique987987's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yeah they need to sit down and just play coach mode with a big notebook and just write down every thing that doesn't work correctly and what the CPU AI don't do that they should be doing.

They need to think more on the lines of let's program the CPU AI to do things the same way a human would. I mean every other sports game has fake passes except for Madden and NCAA.

For every situation, they should program a branch system of probability of what possible ways they should handle the situation.

Situation 1: Faced with 8 men in the box.

A) If it is a passing play hot route a WR or audible to a different play

B) Tell the OL to max protect and leave a HB in the backfield to block

Situation 2: Receiving constant pressure up the middle.

A) Call more shotgun plays

B) Roll out to the left or right

C) Max protect the middle of the OL

D) Call a slant route exploiting the middle of the field where the linebacker just blitzed from

E) Run a screen play, either HB, TE or WR

Situation 3: 1 on 1 situation

A) Spin to the outside or inside

B) Juke to the outside or inside

C) If bigger then the tackler, lower your shoulder

D) If you have high acceleration and good speed, bounce it to the outside OR cut clear across the field to where there is daylight

Situation 4: Pass thrown to you with a defender right next to you

A) Jump up for the ball

B) Push off

C) Swat it down to prevent the DB from catching it

Situation 5: Passing plays

A) Look for your primary WR

B) Look for option 2

C) Pump fake to free up a WR

D) Tuck the ball and scramble

E) Roll out try to buy your WR sometime to get open

I could go on and on, but you guys get the point.
This would be perfect. The offense never does anything to counter anything the defense does. I did this just to make a point to my brother, and the results were pretty bad. I called the EXACT same play on defense, zone coverage with both inside linebackers blitzing. The offense threw the ball four times and ran it six. Those ten plays resulted in three sacks, four tackles for loss, and the other three runs gained the offense about eight yards. A real team would do something to negate the pressure, yet the offense did nothing different at all.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #54
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

This needs to happen WAY MORE in NCAA 13. Should be priority number 1. Ball carriers need to finish off runs with spins move, jukes or stiff arms, ESPECIALLY QBs when they SCRAMBLE.

In this video, the CPU QB actually did a spin move at the end of his scramble and got a few more yards because of it.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #55
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

skillz. do you have a recording device to upload some games....

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #56
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
skillz. do you have a recording device to upload some games....
I wish, that is my goal for next year to get a PVR. Seems like every time I was about to buy one this year, something in my house stopped working and had to be fixed or replaced. Boy I tell ya maintaining a house is expensive as hell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »