Home

Ask Coach/Calling your own plays

This is a discussion on Ask Coach/Calling your own plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Ask Coach/Calling your own plays

I call my own plays on offense, and on defense, always have.

On offense- I use note cards and diagram a play call sheet like the coaches have in football, scenarios, yardages, etc. I also pre-script a set number of plays vs. opponents. I find it helps me get into a rhythm and after the first say, 20 plays or 2 possessions, I freelance it. I audible as necessary when I see a defense I can exploit.

On defense I do it all based off of how many threats they have on the field, my guess as to what they want to do, what I want to counter with, and my gut.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfan
I audible as necessary when I see a defense I can exploit.
Though I audible occasionally, it's not a huge consideration in coach mode because your QB isn't guaranteed to exploit a mismatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm currently creating a playbook where I will choose every play in the book, it will only be around 150 plays (basing it off of the Osborne Nebraska offense) and for the first time I may actually call most of my game how I see fit.

Normally I always use coach suggestions because I don't want to look through 300+ plays for the one I want. I feel now though when I have a grasp of my playbook if the coach doesn't suggest something I am feeling I need at the moment I will find it quicker with a smaller playbook.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
Banned

^ Once you narrow your playbook, and actually run through it a few times...it will get easy.

I cut my playbook, to about 220-230. I only have plays that are based out of the shotgun.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfan
^ Once you narrow your playbook, and actually run through it a few times...it will get easy.

I cut my playbook, to about 220-230. I only have plays that are based out of the shotgun.
That's what I'm hoping for, plus a number of plays that Nebraska ran in the 80s/90s don't exist in this game. I mean where are all my QB Sweep and power plays EA? My FB Outside traps?
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Banned

Yea, I wish they would really add additonal, classic playbooks to the mix of options instead of the usual bunch.

I ran with Nebraska for years with their book. I loved their philosophy.

I've transitioned to the Chip Kelley book, or the Read Option in general.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16
Call em all

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Rookie

mattytally's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, make your own playbook with plays you know you like and add some to try out until you get the hang of it. You can always switch to ask coach if you're not comfortable, but stick it out until you come up with your own style.

In general I like to keep base 4-3 in for about 1/2 of any 3 wide sets. Depending on my personnel and theirs. I find too much nickel gets you run on non-stop. Just be careful with one-on-one match ups between LBs and WR's or Speedy HBs and TEs.

On offense, the play action is better than ever this year so you can keep it simple with basic runs to set up play action passing game. Control the ball - control the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »