Home

Is the read option cheese?

This is a discussion on Is the read option cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is the Read option a cheese play?
Yes, it is 24 24.49%
No, it is not 74 75.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Is the read option cheese?

The only thing that makes it cheese in some way is the lack of defensive control. Not being able to play assignment football adds a little cheese but overall its not... If we could assign DL to play gaps or our read man to always take a certain player it would be easier to defend and force offenses to think before using it so much. As it is the cpu AI randomly makes the read mans decisions and the DL doesn't play GAP defense at all so you see all kinds of busted assignments...

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabursock55
As the title says..

I would like to know if you think that running the read option is "cheese". This was breifly touched on in a different thread, and I would like to expand it a little bit here.

What do you think?
I actually enjoy playing against the read option I don't know how many fumbles and loss of yards I've gotten off of it
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Rookie

Colorado Cooler's Arena

OVR: 2

The read-option isn't cheese, however, if EA increased injuries to where they should be, the risk of losing a QB to a big-time hit would make folks think twice about running it over and over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think it depends on what sliders you use, before I used sliders it was way too easy but with the OS sliders I've found that the defense is much more responsive to the read option and it actually is a legitimate play.

I still only use it about 5 times a game tops though with Michigan State

Favorite Teams:
NFL: Detroit Lions
NCAA: Michigan State Spartans
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
MLB: Detroit Tigers
NBA: Detroit Pistons
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cooler
The read-option isn't cheese, however, if EA increased injuries to where they should be, the risk of losing a QB to a big-time hit would make folks think twice about running it over and over.
This is true, QB's don't get injured as often as they would in a real game if they ran this many options (RG-Knee). However, I feel the seemingly increased chance for the QB to fumble is a fair tradeoff.

If they increased the injury chance on QB ball-carriers, teams like Air Force would be out of backups by Week 4.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Corner blitz destroys the QB if he keeps it. My friend ran it and had -7 yards
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Rookie

I voted yes, and yeah, I do think it is, but for varying reasons.

One reason is the lack of defensive pressure and penetration, especially by the D-Lineman. The Lineman consistently push the D-Line back, or stand them up, and the LBs and safeties don't attack the ball. I can't even remember how many times I've seen a safety or LB just plain not react at all to a ball carrier running RIGHT at them. Lineman don't attack gaps, LBs and ends don't set the edges and prevent guys from getting outside - there's just a lot of problems with the front 7 in the run game.

More importantly though, you can run the read option with any QB in the game. In this game, if you don't set the adjustment for read option to "Aggressive", every time the LB follows the RB, everyone else will as well, and most likely the QB will have tons of daylight to run. And even if you do, it's no guarantee that the LB or DE will actually bring a QB down - for some reason all QBs have access to the same skills at RBs in terms of breaking tackles - I've probably seen more QBs truck a LB or D-Lineman than I have seen a QB get lit up and/or hurt.

It's especially evident at the GL. And you could get a 2-point conversion every single time if you ran it.

You combine this with the fact that the D-Line get's little pressure and the coverage in this game is below average, and the read option is deadlier in this game than in real life. Not every team is Oregon - heck, I think heard a stat on ESPN that like 60% or so of Johnny Manziel's rushing yards came on scrambles, not the read option (could be wrong, please don't quote me on that).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

OVR: 1

What if I sub my 97 Speed 97 Acc. Running Back in at QB and then run the read option where the QB keeps and torches the safety 1v1 for a TD easily.

That's what I faced online recently. It was deadly as heck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »