Home

What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

This is a discussion on What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What 2K Can Learn From Blitz: The League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
My guess is still that they are going in an APF direction, so a full NFLPA agreement isn’t as necessary. Cost wise, it might be cheaper to target who they want than get everyone. They may even use 2K8 style generic guys to round out rosters. Or, the NFLPA agreement might still happen.

It could get interesting if 2K puts a dent in Madden’s Ultimate Team revenue.

Just like Microsoft realizing that by expanding where gamers could play, it reduced the importance of console sales. They sell Xbox Live Gold and Gamepass to more gamers, increasing revenue without needing to increase console sales. Obviously, the hope is to cut into Sony’s sales, but mostly, it’s just to increase their own revenue.

So 2K could use their version of MUT to gain mindshare and drive revenue without matching EA’s sales of Madden.

This is mostly what I see happening. What I’m hoping to see is custom online leagues.
I think they go either APF route and just target key marketable players or sign a deal with NFLPA. I assumed after the new CBA went through, that NFLPA agreement would happen rather quickly. But with current pandemic, maybe that holds up things. Going the APF route and targeting key players, would be a good option to start off. That way it is cheaper and focus on building engine than when/if they get the simulation license, add in all players. I saw a tweet that Madden gives players around $17k, so 2k could offer around that amount for key players.

I'm sure they would have some thing like MyTeam especially if they can monetize it.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTHENTICNFLNBA
THE ENGINE IS YEARS IN THE MAKING!! No way " VISUAL CONCEPTS " walked in that meeting empty handed..
That could be a possibility. A lot of times these deals are down long in advance and they wait to announce partnership closer to when it would come in effect. I wouldn't see them trying rush out a game from scratch in 16-18 months.
There was a rumor a couple years ago how NFL approaches 2k. Rex Dickson in an interview last year or so, said how there was a rumor how NFL approached 2k couple years ago. So when NBA2k18(or 17) made a comment in their MyLeague about taking that type of mode seriously unlike other sports games, he said that's why he made the "Come at us bro" tweet .

Unless they knew it was a strong chance a NFL partnership was likely or deal was in place for a year or so, I'm not sure they would devote resources on developing a NFL engine years in advance. Unless it was someone who was doing it on their free time, companies won't devote resources on an unsure thing. But I could see a situation where NFL and 2k could have been in talks for past year or so, so they could have been given green light to start developing. So I could see them being a year into development.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
THE ENGINE IS YEARS IN THE MAKING!! No way " VISUAL CONCEPTS " walked in that meeting empty handed..
Agreed. You have to have something to show a potential business partner to convince them that whatever you're pitching is worth their investment and attaching their brand to....whether it's a script, a batch of grandma's chocolate chip cookies, or a game engine in action.

2k showed the NFL something...and it was years before the recent announcement was made.

Last edited by Kanobi; 03-29-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
Banned

AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That could be a possibility. A lot of times these deals are down long in advance and they wait to announce partnership closer to when it would come in effect. I wouldn't see them trying rush out a game from scratch in 16-18 months.
There was a rumor a couple years ago how NFL approaches 2k. Rex Dickson in an interview last year or so, said how there was a rumor how NFL approached 2k couple years ago. So when NBA2k18(or 17) made a comment in their MyLeague about taking that type of mode seriously unlike other sports games, he said that's why he made the "Come at us bro" tweet .

Unless they knew it was a strong chance a NFL partnership was likely or deal was in place for a year or so, I'm not sure they would devote resources on developing a NFL engine years in advance. Unless it was someone who was doing it on their free time, companies won't devote resources on an unsure thing. But I could see a situation where NFL and 2k could have been in talks for past year or so, so they could have been given green light to start developing. So I could see them being a year into development.
Sweet baby Jesus!!! So that's why REX was pressured to leave lol... I've heard that comment replay over and over in my head for years and you've just solved the million dollar answer for me.. Woooooow!!! Mind blown.. Totally makes sense now! Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Agreed. You have to have something to show a potential business partner to convince them that whatever you're pitching is worth their investment and attaching their brand to....whether it's a script, a batch of grandma's chocolate chip cookies, or a game engine in action.

2k showed the NFL something...and it was years before the recent announcement was made.
You damn right!!! It had to have been impressive lmao... Just think! The NFL tweeted for the world to hear and I'm talking EA took the defensive stand with the quickness right after.. Lol... God, if you give us the football game we've been dreaming about all these, years, please GOD!!! Lmao... Madden is the worst!!

Last edited by AUTHENTICNFLNBA; 03-29-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Quote:
Sweet baby Jesus!!! So that's why REX was pressured to leave lol... I've heard that comment replay over and over in my head for years and you've just solved the million dollar answer for me.. Woooooow!!! Mind blown.. Totally makes sense now! Good stuff!

You damn right!!! It had to have been impressive lmao... Just think! The NFL tweeted for the world to hear and I'm talking EA took the defensive stand with the quickness right after.. Lol... God, if you give us the football game we've been dreaming about all these, years, please GOD!!! Lmao... Madden is the worst!!
I'll keep hoping

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 04-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
Rookie

From Blitz? Are you sure about that?
Old 04-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:

I agree, no way they walked in there and had nothing to show for themselves. The thing is, the framework they had for their engine wasn't ever an issue, though 2K8 was a rushed mess (IMO). But from an engine standpoint, it's only really a matter of upgrading the visuals, and making a few tweaks to what they already had to reflect what the sport has become today.

That being said, I also really don't think it was a question of 2K going in with a hat in their hand. Rather, I think that the NFL was probably the ones who went looking for some other sources of advertising and to diversify their brand. Madden games have been in constant decline (even faster than the appeal of the NFL itself), and now we're seeing a sports league looking to get their name out there in a variety of ways again.

All that being said, I still, to this day, have no idea why 2K didn't got all in on an NCAA title already. As soon as EA said they were out in that market, I would have filled that need so quickly! Everyone has been calling for that, almost as much as an NFL alternate title... And for myself, were I to be asked which I'd rather, I'm 100% in the sim-NCAA camp. And that would have showed the NFL just what my company can do with a license. I would have also went all in on a fully customizable sim-football game too... But that's just me.

Last edited by Swingking77; 04-21-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Now write an article on what it can learn from Backbreaker instead of some arcade **** game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »