Home

Dealing with young QB's

This is a discussion on Dealing with young QB's within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Dealing with young QB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch44
Playmakers, thanks. How do you give Young only 1-2 options on each play? I assume you're talking about his WR read progression? Did you give him 1 or 2 reads then run?

Yeah just 1-2 reads and cut the field in the half for him. You can tell him to look for his primary option on this play or throw short. It's really helpful because when you let them make their own decisions they will often get out of control and do some dumb stuff.

So, I go through plays that are really simple and usually involves 1-2 WR's or TE as a checkdown guy. Since I have Vince one of my commands I give when ever I spread the field is to tell him to run because 4-5 wr's sets really get him confused it seems.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
Im in the same boat with Detroit.

Ive got Chris Simms and Jay Cutler on the team.

Going into the game, both are maxed out on ratings. Ive got 4-5 money plays passing. The WR's are maxed out also.

Combined for the first two preseason games theyre something like 8-44, 0 TDs, 6 Ints, 5 fumbles, 114 yds passing, probably about 10 sacks.

Even though you get MAXED out money plays and WR's you still have to tell the QB's what you wnat them to focus on during those plays.

In a game the CPU defense might play a defense your QB hasn't since during your practice while building up those money plays. So, giving him commands on certain plays kinda simplifies things for them and they know right away what to do on the play like protect the ball, step up in the pocket, run, look for primary option only or focus on the short route.

It's also very important to keep them out of 2nd & 3rd long situations and expect them to make a play in the air. I run the ball about 65% of the time and it's amazing that in this game unlike in Madden the defense actually bites on PLAYACTION plays.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Rookie

washamur's Arena

OVR: 3

Yeah, I managed to pick up Young in the Second Round (I was surprised) - Even though Delhomme is the man behind center - in my 2nd Preseason game I started Young and played him throughout.

Mostly just gave him Shotgun plays, allowing him to make better decisions and run if need be.

Finished the game 7-15 / 256yds / 2TD / 1INT / 74yds Rushing

Not too bad, and was able to hook up w/ Smith very well!

NFL: Panthers / Texans
NCAAFB: Longhorns / AF Falcons
NBA: Spurs
NCAABB: Longhorns
MLB: Red Sox / Rockies
NHL: Avalanche / Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

I picked up Leinart with the 1st pick as the Texans, traded Carr to get the 24th pick in the 1st round and picked up Carpenter who is doing fantastic right now. Also key rookie I drafted is Wroten.

I have played 6 games but Leinart has played 2 games because he was out with injury for 4 weeks. He has about 450 yds and 3 TDs in those 2 games because he had a 200 yard game and another. Leinart and Johnson is deadly. I thought about Young...but I knew I had Gaffney rated 89 and Johnson at 92...it is just deadly. Leinart max is 85, hopefully it goes up. My only problem is he gets rushed becaust of our lacking O-line, it is improved at the guard spots or and the Center spot is locked, but my tackles are average and if a team starts to put pressure on us we have problems.

He has thrown 5 ints though maybe that has to do with experience. PLay the Titans next and they drafted Super Mario, they are 1-5 and I am 2-4 and since I have competed stiffly against the Jags and Colts, I am hoping I can get a easy one in Tennesse.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Thanks for posting up this info. I'm learning more about coaching my guys everyday. I took my career roster into "Coach Now" and played against my next career opponent. My Lions beat the Bills 24-17. Now, the key thing was my Rookie starting QB, Reggie McNeal.

He finished the game:
11/30, 148 Yds, 1 TD, 1 Int
14 Att, 149 Yds, 2 TD

The only thing I gave him as far a strategy goes was to run when he felt pressure and I'd change whether he should get rid of the ball quickly or let the play develop on each play. I'd look at the route of the primary receiver and if it was a slow developing route I'd tell him to let the play develop. If it was a route that was best suited for pass delivery right after the snap, I'd tell him to get rid of the ball quickly. I'm ready to come home from work tomorrow and play the Bills again...when it counts.

Love live EA's NFL Head Coach!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NoleFan; 06-26-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I've gotta delve into the practices more, but I drafted Young to Detroit and have had pretty good luck. I pound the ball with Kevin Jones, and then try and pass with Vince only when needed.

I've been telling Vince to scramble when needed and to protect the ball (not force it) pre-game (lasting the entire game). I still usually throw one pick a game or so, but as time goes on his passing game is going up in yardage each game.

One thing I did notice, in week 3 I had HB injury hell. My backup (Quentin Griffin) was out 10 weeks with a broken vertebrae, Kevin Jones had 2 more games left to sit out with a strained back, and A-Train (i signed him cause my depth was horrible at this point) went out in week 2 with a sprained something for 1 week.

Therefore Leonard Henry (who? lol) was my starting HB. I therefore started to lean on Vince Young to do more passing/running. It worked for just over a half, but then Vince had 2 straight possessions where he was picked off for a TD which iced the game. I knew I was pressing on Vince to do stuff, because I couldn't trust the run, and it bit me in the ***. I love that you can take a gamble and sometimes it'll pay off, sometimes not.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
I picked up Leinart with the 1st pick as the Texans, traded Carr to get the 24th pick in the 1st round
WOW you got a late first stright up for Carr? What was his rating when you traded him? Im doing one as the Texans and hopefully I can get a late first for him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
WOW you got a late first stright up for Carr? What was his rating when you traded him? Im doing one as the Texans and hopefully I can get a late first for him.
The rating was his 66-75 rating the game give it. It was Carr, my 2nd ound pick for the 24th pick and some guy the Bengals threw in.

So it wasn't straight up, because I ahd to give up a 2nd round pick, but I really wanted a good LB and was afraid that Carpenter would be taken and I really wanted him. I wanted a good OLB and QB for my 1st two picks, so I thought about drafting Hawk and getting Young later, or the other choice which I went with because of I wanted a accurate QB.

Worked out pretty well, what would the Bengals need a QB for in this game...not sure. I don't know if Palmer starts out injured or if the Bengals just wanted a solid back-up.

Leinart just had his first bad game though, and his ceiling hasn't gone up since I drafted him, not too worried though, just wondering what determines the floor and ceiling rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »