Home

**NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread**

This is a discussion on **NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread** within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #801
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Gameplay Lead Programmer Q&A Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode
Josh/Chris, I know this probably isn't your area of expertise, but I thought I would try anyway:

"An Abox Live memebership limititaion prohibits you fron accessing this feature."

That is the message I get when I try to download plays to or upload plays from Gamernet. I have Xbox Live Gold. Is there something else I need to do?

I fixed the problem. Oh, and thanks Chris, because it did turn out to be parental controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #802
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Lead Designer Q&A Session

A second list of questions. I hope I've got the right thread...

SCOUTING OTHER TEAMS
  1. Is there somewhere that I can find a team's offensive and defensive rankings? For example, I'd like to see what a team averages per game offensively and defensivley, as well as where they rank within the league. Can I find that somewhere?
  2. When I get to the Scouting the next team task on my clipboard, it appears that I can only see the offensive plays they run. Can I see their defensive plays?

KNOWLEDGE
  1. Do players learn in-game? For example, when I run an Unlearned play, will the players' knowledge of that play increase?
  2. How many mastered plays should I expect?

GAMEPLANS
  1. When it comes time to Gameplan, are the gameplan options in any particular order? I've noticed that the option at the top of the Gameplan list changes each time it pops up. Does that mean that the option at the top is/should be considered the top priority?
  2. If I want to increase my teams' knowledge, should I opt to run specific plays or to develop certain players?
  3. When Gameplanning, I thought about focusing on the side of the ball where my coaching is weakest. For example, if my OC is rated a 31, but my DC is rated a 54, would it be correct to assume that my defense is going to get better instruction training? Therefore, focusing on the offense in my gameplan might be the wise move?

ETC.
  1. Where can I find league-wide results (i.e. Super Bowl champions, leauge leaders, award winnders) from last year? What about any previous years?
  2. When a chance comes up to bid on another team's RFA, is there a way for me to find out what sort of tender has been placed on him?
  3. When hiring coaches, I want to hire coaches who match my personality and philosophy. Is there a way to find out what type of personality he has before you hire him?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #803
Rookie

Chris_Staymates's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode
I fixed the problem. Oh, and thanks Chris, because it did turn out to be parental controls.
Glad you got it sorted.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #804
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Staymates
We are looking at everything that people are talking about on the boards when taking into account things to patch. Patching is a very risky thing to do and we have a limited time frame during which we can address these issues. This means that if we do a patch, the highest priority things will get addressed at first.
I don't think anybody here wants you to retune the game and test all that... I know I mentioned that, but it was in a burst of emotion, I realize that's not possible given time and space constraints, not to mention all of the other variables I probably could never conceive of.

But I really believe it would be worth it for your team to look into intensifying the existing sliders. I can tell they work because the affect on the running game is tough to miss, but there are serious issues with the passing game and it really is a game breaker for me. I want to be a head coach, not a general manager, and, to be honest, SuperSim is unsatisfying to say the least.

This game is incredible on so many levels, it would be a shame to have it ruined by something so... well, fixable, if the sliders had the power we're accustom too from Madden games.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #805
MVP

OVR: 10

I simply cannot put this game away.

I know it's been repeated ad nauseam, but Josh, you and your team did an exceptional job with this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #806
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
A second list of questions. I hope I've got the right thread...

SCOUTING OTHER TEAMS
  1. Is there somewhere that I can find a team's offensive and defensive rankings? For example, I'd like to see what a team averages per game offensively and defensivley, as well as where they rank within the league. Can I find that somewhere?
  2. When I get to the Scouting the next team task on my clipboard, it appears that I can only see the offensive plays they run. Can I see their defensive plays?
KNOWLEDGE
  1. Do players learn in-game? For example, when I run an Unlearned play, will the players' knowledge of that play increase?
  2. How many mastered plays should I expect?

GAMEPLANS
  1. When it comes time to Gameplan, are the gameplan options in any particular order? I've noticed that the option at the top of the Gameplan list changes each time it pops up. Does that mean that the option at the top is/should be considered the top priority?
  2. If I want to increase my teams' knowledge, should I opt to run specific plays or to develop certain players?
  3. When Gameplanning, I thought about focusing on the side of the ball where my coaching is weakest. For example, if my OC is rated a 31, but my DC is rated a 54, would it be correct to assume that my defense is going to get better instruction training? Therefore, focusing on the offense in my gameplan might be the wise move?

ETC.
  1. Where can I find league-wide results (i.e. Super Bowl champions, leauge leaders, award winnders) from last year? What about any previous years?
  2. When a chance comes up to bid on another team's RFA, is there a way for me to find out what sort of tender has been placed on him?
  3. When hiring coaches, I want to hire coaches who match my personality and philosophy. Is there a way to find out what type of personality he has before you hire him?
1. There is a team stats screen where you can sort best to worst and worst to best.

2. It's only offense.

3. Yes.

4. Not sure I understand this one. Do you mean right away? With default playbooks?

5. No.

6. Run Specific Plays for team.

7. Yes, that would be a safe assumption.

8. Unfortunately, there is no screen that shows past year's results. I wish we would have added that.

9. Yes, it's located on the screen.

10. Not on that screen. That's something we should have added.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #807
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
I simply cannot put this game away.

I know it's been repeated ad nauseam, but Josh, you and your team did an exceptional job with this game.
My wife said something about divorce but I don't have time to look at the papers; I'm too busy playing this game.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #808
Rookie

OVR: 2

hey josh. im just wondering will players contracts be updated in the next roster update. I know they used to do this for madden. I know of a few contracts in place in the game that are wrong with they years left. and also to add contracts like james farrior, and steven jackson just received.

also another question for the roster update. will the teams be at 53 for this update. and if so will all the players that were on these teams after the roster cuts tomorrow make it into the game for anyone that still wants to start the preseason correctly?

as always thanks for your guys hard work on the game and in the forums

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »